PSN DOWN WTF?!1

I call bullshit. Where do you work, the "smash an xbox with a hammer" factory? I notice that you yourself do not claim to have ever owned one. Funny how that works huh? You have no first hand knowledge and a vehement opposition to a product you've never tried. Fanboy.

You're spouting some seriously outdated propaganda. The failure rate has been on a steady decline since 2008, when changes were made to the design.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94375-Xbox-360-Failures-Actually-On-the-Decline

Because you're so impartial right?

So 15 xboxes and not one of them took advantage of the fact that MS repairs RROD'ed consoles for free?

It could happen to you, folks!

You are such a fucking toadie.

Well, i work with British Telecom, an IT company based out of the UK at their Princeton office here in NJ. Second, you can call BS or not, but since none of the people i know are members here you can say what you wish. They stated to me what they said, not to you, so you can call it how you want to call it. But if people who owned one, gave it a bad rap when they talked about it, then why would i want to get one anyways? Kinda like getting info from your friend about a car before you buy it because they had a lot of problems with it. So let me ask you, do you still buy the car or do you rethink the decision by the information provided to you by those who have it? lol Simple way of thinking right?

Now the link you posted still shows that there is still a failure rate. The decrease might correct but the thing that you need to remember is that they could have gotten the lemon out of the bunch. So it still counts as a failed console right? But of course, you would not think about that would you? Pretty small view of thinking if you ask me.

Asking if I'm impartial, in a thread about PSN. I will just not respond to that at all since it would just cause unneeded responses..

Now about the 15 Xboxes, they chose what to do, not me so if they did not want to, then it's really their choice right? lol so what do you want me to tell you about this? They did not do it, so they did not do it..lol

So, I am a "fucking toadie" lol man how old are you? really? Sigh, this is the reason why i think people behind a keyboard love to act a certain way because they are behind the keyboard. Nothing was said to you in an offensive manner and because you could not find anything good to say, words like these are used to show that fact.

But to answer you, i will say this, "The PSN breach to me is nothing as big as people are making it. All major corps, have been working like this for years." Note a couple of words in this line. They are in bold to help you. Those words mean that its an opinion that i had about the whole situation. Companies do not follow business practices as you might have learned. They are really out there to make a profit so any and all corners that they can cut, they will cut. Its how they can have a good profit margin by the end of the fiscal year. Now who really knows anything about what happened here? I am pretty sure that no one here does, unless you work with Sony, and that is if you are apart of their NOC. So all, any of us can do is offer our opinions to the matter since none of us has the live data to make an educated analysis on what happened to the PSN or SOE.

I had a refurbished xbox(the white one) for a good 4 years...and it NEVER broke down on me or got RR.
Now that I have the latest one its been working perfectly fine with no problems at all.
I still think it's funny that the PSN network is down, I understand that this shit might take sometime, but the fact that they didn't even protect the network from something like this to ever happen is pure lawls.

I know it's been mentioned that the XboxLive network has gone "down" before, but that was mostly for updates and IMPROVEMENTS...not a hacking of the entire network for a month. +Hackers stealing your personal info.
(This does NOT include all of the idiots that fell for the "SEND US YOUR PERSONAL INFO TO GET FREE MAPS FOR COD!!! SEND CREDIT CARD,SOCIAL AND ALL OF YOUR ACCOUNT INFO PLUX!" Those people deserved to get their info jacked up for falling for such stupid shit lol.)

All in all, I rather pay $50 - $60 A YEAR and have good connection...then to be playing on a free network and then have this happen.
But hey, this is just me.

(Note: I should probably document this as well...this post wasn't meant to go towards ANYONE on this thread. I was just bored and wanted to talk about something. This is more towards all of the PSN Online Fanboys shitting themselves.)

All in all, I rather pay $50 - $60 A YEAR and have good connection...then to be playing on a free network and then have this happen.
But hey, this is just me.

I wouldn't say that the PSN was hacked because it was a free service. From a systems programmer's perspective, there is a limit to how secure you can write code by throwing money at the problem before the value of additional money spent approaches zero. What it really comes down to is luck.

Maybe you feel the need to justify more your payment of 60 dollars a year, but you're probably deluding yourself if you think that any significant portion of your xbl payment goes to making it a more secure network. Most of that just goes towards Microsoft's bottom line. If Microsoft did not charge for their service, given their spending power, I find it extremely unlikely that they would have any less secure systems.

My personal theory is that the security breach is completely unrelated to the hacks on the ps3 itself and the DDoS attacks. I don't know much about the network itself, but it just seems unlikely that a compromised ps3 can have any sort of access to the type of information obtained that a pc could not have. Rather, the attack itself was probably just your normal type of attack done with normal computers timed in a way that Sony had a lot of other things to deal with.

From what I can gather, the attack was most likely initiated by spear-phishing on a network administrator with certain access permissions to a database, from which they exploited an SQL injection to get the data. The point I'm trying to make is that the problems were caused by very isolated instances of human error. Inadvertently installing a rootkit from an email sent by what you thought was another network administrator, not programming enough input handling to deal with weird strings on a database you wouldn't expect normal people to access. From a technical point of view, Sony's main problem was just hiring people who didn't do their job well enough. And the biggest blame probably goes to their security auditors.The scale of the entire Sony network, which includes more than just the PSN is big enough that the probability of someone making a mistake like this is non-trivial. Such problems probably exist on every single unbelievably large network you can think of, who have just been lucky enough not to have someone as dedicated as the current hackers to break in.

At the end of the day Sony should take full responsibility, but it just ticks me off when people who don't know anything about the actual situation itself complain about technical incompetence. The average person's need to crucify somebody when something happens to them just disgusts me.

As far as jumping ship to an xbox, it just strikes me as illogical. If you're concerned about security issues, you're just jumping from one network to another, and paying a non trivial cost for the migration process. This is after Sony is rebuilding their networks, extremely wary of security issues, and has offered identity insurance. Your disclosed information is a sunk cost, and unless you really hate Sony, you wouldn't get much benefit from switching, unless you really need an online gaming fix now for which I am sorry. A person who is worried about their information should not be switching from one network to another, but just rethinking the way they handle their information altogether.

Edit: I also find it somewhat amusing how people are proud that their x-box hasn't broken down yet. While I have barely been in contact with people who own x-boxes since they supposedly fixed them, I would be more surprised if x-boxes were still as stupidly defective as they were the THREE years after it launched.

I can tell you the majority of people that buy the PS3 or initially bought the PS3...could give a shit about online. I brought the system because it had some of the best single player software from past generations. I bought the initial 60gig model with MGS4 it recently got the YLOD, just fixed for 65, and I am good to go.

That's why when it comes down to it, the PS3 has the most hardcore gamers right after the PC. The 360 has gamers that would like to think they're hardcore but in reality aren't. It's littered with casuals.

Hackers fuck with everything...even xbox live has been hacked, although not to this degree. I just read that Eidos and SquareEnix recently got hacked here http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/05/13/eidos-and-deus-ex-sites-hacked-80000-users-data-stolen/

So as far as PSN getting hacked you should be worried overall. Once your personal data gets on the internet it's out of your hands...
You have to hope that whatever companies you give it to, have sufficient security measures to protect it. But hackers are like viruses constantly adapting constantly growing.

west coast can download an update atm that'll let them change their password, will probably be available nationally in the coming hours.

PSN itself is still not up but things are going in the right direction it seems.

Edit: I also find it somewhat amusing how people are proud that their x-box hasn't broken down yet. While I have barely been in contact with people who own x-boxes since they supposedly fixed them, I would be more surprised if x-boxes were still as stupidly defective as they were the THREE years after it launched.
It's not a matter of pride, iKo, it's simply as a matter of fact. When you know something to be a fact, in opposition to a lie, it's difficult not to share it. I find your amusement amusing, but I'm hardly going to embark in a debate with a man who understands Satre so much better than I do. In any event you've misunderstood the reasoning, it's simply opposition to ignorance. We'll leave the irony of the situation under the table.

Note: I should probably document this as well...this post wasn't meant to go towards ANYONE on this thread. I was just bored and wanted to talk about something. This is more towards all of the PSN Online Fanboys shitting themselves.)
Would you hold it against me if I said I like you when you're bored? :D

Second, you can call BS or not, but since none of the people i know are members here you can say what you wish. They stated to me what they said, not to you, so you can call it how you want to call it. But if people who owned one, gave it a bad rap when they talked about it, then why would i want to get one anyways? Kinda like getting info from your friend about a car before you buy it because they had a lot of problems with it. So let me ask you, do you still buy the car or do you rethink the decision by the information provided to you by those who have it? lol Simple way of thinking right?

And since I can, I still call BS. One: I think you're making these "people" up. Two: These "people", if they exist, are free to talk out of their asses. If I know my friend is a notorious bullshitter, and I have some evidence to the contrary I'm not going to listen to my friend. There are times, things and subjects about which you know your friends are wrong. You may have a friend for instance who hates a sport or a band you like or has a bias against foreign cars, and while they're still your friend you can't take their word for law on these matters. In the end you choose what to believe. And when something you hear is what you want to hear you're all the more inclined to believe it. I'm inclined to believe you're a partisan and you want to believe that there's an xbox dying out there every 1.4 seconds. Whether you originated the lie or are simply disseminating it, it is plainly a lie.

Now the link you posted still shows that there is still a failure rate. The decrease might correct but the thing that you need to remember is that they could have gotten the lemon out of the bunch. So it still counts as a failed console right? But of course, you would not think about that would you? Pretty small view of thinking if you ask me.
You want to talk about a "small view of thinking"? You can't even exercise common sense. Please note the graph reflects the failure rate after ONE YEAR of ownership. That failure rate as of august 2009 was about 1%. Even if you were telling me that somehow these five people all got the 1% of consoles that would fail after a year, repeatedly, without interruption and without exception the odds would be astronomical. Try flipping a coin and getting the same result 15 times in a row. Now you're telling me you are rolling a dice with 100 sides and getting the same number 15 times in a row?! Let alone the fact that these consoles all failed in less than one year. Which is even rarer and more unbelievable. Lemon of the bunch? These guys would have to have a fucking lemon tree to see that many lemons. No, you just lied your ass off and you got too greedy to pick a believable number. Now you're caught and you won't be a man and fess up to it. Pathetic.

Asking if I'm impartial, in a thread about PSN. I will just not respond to that at all since it would just cause unneeded responses..
At least you're honest about that.

Now about the 15 Xboxes, they chose what to do, not me so if they did not want to, then it's really their choice right? lol so what do you want me to tell you about this? They did not do it, so they did not do it..lol
They did not do it because they do not exist. I was perfectly willing to let you pass with a self-deprecating joke till you whipped out that whopper. You insulted my intelligence with that lie there. You could have been smarter about it you know. 15 people all got a lemon, that is vaguely believable, who knows how many people you work with. 5 people are so hated by the fates that they all got 3 lemons in a row? That's too much. All you need to do is go "hey, sorry I lied, I know there is a failure rate and I exaggerated." That isn't so hard. I put my foot in my mouth all the time and I fess up to it. Owning up to your mistakes is part of being a man.

So, I am a "fucking toadie" lol man how old are you? really? Sigh, this is the reason why i think people behind a keyboard love to act a certain way because they are behind the keyboard. Nothing was said to you in an offensive manner and because you could not find anything good to say, words like these are used to show that fact.
I felt offended you would think I'd believe that ridiculous lie. That was offensive. I am more offended still that you persist in the lie. What am I to say that is good about that? When somebody lies, the important thing is why they lie right? I could think of nothing positive behind your reasons to lie. Ignorance? Corporate partisanship? Jealousy? All are reprehensible. Without knowing the reasons I can only rebuke you for thinking you somehow needed to lie to me.

As for my courage, it does sometimes fail me. But it is there often enough. A picture would speak better of it. I will say nothing more until I can walk you through that. If you find yours hard to summon in person, my condolences. It is not always the intelligent thing, I can tell you that much.

Those words mean that its an opinion that i had about the whole situation.
After you assured people that it wasn't time to panic and switch to a system that would light their house on fire whilst leading them back to the ps3 anyways you told us all that this was really nothing to get upset over and we should all just hush up and accept it because we should be used to it by now. Seriously, you realize how you look like a zealot right? It's one thing to be anally raped by a corporation, that's business as usual for them right? It's another to expect people to smile while it happens. People should get mad when they're wronged. I personally wasn't even mad about it anymore, and I'm still not. But I don't think it's right to accept that this is just the way our social betters operate and it's not our place to question it. I find the notion distasteful.

I'll say this though. I'm absolutely convinced that you're still lying. But if by some miracle you really do know the 5 unluckiest guys in the world, my apologies. You should probably not take them to vegas.

Ugh it seems this thread has also turned into a PS3 vs Xbox flame war..... sometimes I lose all hope on humanity ^_^

Ugh it seems this thread has also turned into a PS3 vs Xbox flame war..... sometimes I lose all hope on humanity ^_^

If it restores your faith in humanity that's not it at all. It just happens to be here. Moving along, I'm curious what we're ultimately getting in this update.

Could his office look any MORE like a set from robocop?

Maybe you feel the need to justify more your payment of 60 dollars a year, but you're probably deluding yourself if you think that any significant portion of your xbl payment goes to making it a more secure network. Most of that just goes towards Microsoft's bottom line. If Microsoft did not charge for their service, given their spending power, I find it extremely unlikely that they would have any less secure systems.
I should have been more clear as to why I don't mind paying $60 a year. In MY PERSONAL OPINION, I feel like Live delivers more and is worth the money. Sure it might not secure me 100% , which I am aware of, but I love the services it provides.

I can tell you the majority of people that buy the PS3 or initially bought the PS3...could give a shit about online
Only if they are offline players....if not, considering how everyone (PSN online players) are bitchen and moaning about not being able to play MK or CoD online, I beg to differ. :P
But I see where you're going.

I could honestly say that I am in neither the Xbox360 side or PSN side...considering that I've own both consoles at one point and I have played some of my favorite games in both consoles, but 360 has delivered more entertainment for me then the PS3, so I'll obviously love my xbox a lot more.
And for the record...I don't "brag" about how my 360 never broke down(keep in mind that I am also NOT attacking anyone, just thought I had to make myself clear)...I just decided to share that because the previous discussion was regarding to peoples xbox's breaking down and them having to go through 5 of them.
But every hardware goes down all the time whether it be PS3,360 or PC...even a car.

@Ghengis_John - As SOON as I read your post...this popped into my mind...

Hahah.

I was able to download an update earlier...made me change my password and I was able to play online.

I guess its up now...

Back