PSX SCVI Gameplay Preview Analysis

• Admin
PSX has revealed the first gameplay of SCVI in motion. I broke down the most notable changes on my twitch stream and I will link the archive below. I will list the changes me and my stream caught. Feel free to post what you have seen below! Here is the raw footage without me talking over it.

Known system mechanics and character changes:
  • Reversal Edge and Guard Impact will cause the user to take guard damage when they fail to connect it.
  • Reversal Edge post hit causes a guessing game where verticals beat horizontals, horizontals beat sidestep, and sidestep beats verticals. You can potentially receive a ringout when it connects. It also automatically parries strings, but some moves have fast enough recovery to where you can block the automatic attack.
  • Soul Charge (the mechanic similar to V-trigger) causes the opponent to receive chip damage. It costs 1 bar of meter and is set on a timer that's similar to max mode from KoF. Large push back on activation.
  • Lethal Hits are hits that cause the character's clothing to break. When you hit them, the move properties change into combo starters. You can see Mitsurugi's 1A as well as Sophitia's 22B do this in the footage.
  • Guts is still in the game as well as meter. You still gain a bar of meter for losing two rounds.
  • Movement can be cancelled like in games pre-SCV. Run counter for backwards movement has been removed, but remains for side movement. (Hey guys, it looks like the mechanic might be that backdash can be run countered. It seems that verticals cant run counter in general. Only horizontals and tracking kicks.)
  • Throws still can catch side movement.
  • Mitsurugi has gained a running tackle that resembles an Arthur move from SC3. He has a new low mid option. 1aB has a new animation and 4KB causes severe knock back on hit. MST KB is NCC and his MST B+K causes an attack throw on normal hit. MST B string has a new follow up that resembles his 4B without the backdash.
That's all of the new information I could find in the video. Let me know if you find other things!

Changes found by 8wayrun:
  • No damage on throw escape. They can also build meter.
  • Meterless Guard Impact.
  • Sophitia 1AA doesn't trip on first hit.

• Mitsurugi 1A doesn't trip on normal hit. Relic is in the game again.

Last edited:
Michael Stabile

Michael Stabile

WHENS SOULCALIBUR VI
Did you guys notice that Mitsu performed 3 grabs from neutral? He has the A grab from SC2 (hit with the Hilt of the sword over the head into baseball swing with sword). The A grab from SC5. And the B grab was shown in the first 2 minute gameplay video. Plus his two side grabs and the back throw we're also shown in that video. So is one of his grabs a command grab now?

Did you guys notice that Mitsu performed 3 grabs from neutral? He has the A grab from SC2 (hit with the Hilt of the sword over the head into baseball swing with sword). The A grab from SC5. And the B grab was shown in the first 2 minute gameplay video. Plus his two side grabs and the back throw we're also shown in that video. So is one of his grabs a command grab now?

His SC2 A+G was one of my favourites (I didnt like the 3 hit RO version in the later installments). Good point yeah there was 3 forward grabs. The most cinematic was his SC5 B+G, since they showed it at 3 camera angles like Pyrrha's CE.

Thanks for putting the information together.

Can you make an edit and mention the auto-guard stuff from Reversal Edge before the actual attack comes out?

Also, not sure how much detail you wanted to get into, but also like to mention that soul edge does this super saiyan thing that pushes the opponent back. Does no damage, but looks like a good way to get your opponent away.

The gawd is back?!?!?!

Thanks for putting the information together.

Can you make an edit and mention the auto-guard stuff from Reversal Edge before the actual attack comes out?

Also, not sure how much detail you wanted to get into, but also like to mention that soul edge does this super saiyan thing that pushes the opponent back. Does no damage, but looks like a good way to get your opponent away.
Done, I added it to the first list.

Anyone notice at 3:54 Mitsurugi's 3B cleanly breaks Sophitia's B ? Both are verticals, but when the swords clash Sophitia is sent into a guard break animation (no damage taken however)

In SC2 there used to be a general rule of verticals cleaning beating horizontals on the same impact frames, but I cannot decipher what I just saw.
Prior to this gameplay trailer I thought that Reversal Edge might’ve been tied into weapon clashes. That turned out not to be the case, but clashes do seem to have been changed. It’s always been a weird and inconsistent system, and I hope they’ve finally overhauled it and made it more consistent and predictable.

The timer stops for a while after the Soul Charge is active.

Timer Active
vlcsnap-2017-12-09-20h16m41s764.png

Timer Inactive After Soul Charge
vlcsnap-2017-12-09-20h17m03s182.png

I just noticed that there are two different camera angles depending on how close the characters are to each other. When they're close up it's just the normal sideways view, but if they're further away it'll shift a little into an almost over-the-shoulder view, sort of like the dynamic camera arcade mode in SCV.

The timer stops when reverse edge is activated. The timer HUD changes colour and continues after Mitsu does the counter attack.

Last edited:
The gawd is back?!?!?!

Haha what up Big Juan!!! The hype over the new game brought me back. I saw that Party Wolf has all this stuff from the new game already figured out. While we're over on Facebook just speculating what all this stuff is lol. Im hype about the new game but still realizing that I'll never be able to play any fighting game the same. Not with the same intensity I did as a no child having, no relationship having, part time job having bachelor. But I'm gonna at least try to be competitive enough to be an effective gate keeper. Plus this game will give me an excuse to travel like I used to.

Great One it's funny, I was just looking at old pictures the other day and once again saw the photos from Devastation 2011. The one where we were outside the hotel chillin and all these chicks were walking back from that paint party that was going on down the street. So I started taking pictures of you with all these random ass white chicks from Arizona. Fun times!

Where are you at these days?

His SC2 A+G was one of my favourites (I didnt like the 3 hit RO version in the later installments). Good point yeah there was 3 forward grabs. The most cinematic was his SC5 B+G, since they showed it at 3 camera angles like Pyrrha's CE.

That SC2 A+G was always my favorite and I liked it even more in SC3 even though it was only available from mist stance. In 3 it would ring out consistently with the ring edge close to your right.

I figured they'd keep it the same with the SC2 A and B grabs available from stance. But when I saw him perform both SC2 and SC3 grabs from neutral I knew something changed.

I really hope they remove run counter for side step. 8way run is part of what makes SC unique, why discourage movement?! Never understood why it was patched into V.

Haha what up Big Juan!!! The hype over the new game brought me back. I saw that Party Wolf has all this stuff from the new game already figured out. While we're over on Facebook just speculating what all this stuff is lol. Im hype about the new game but still realizing that I'll never be able to play any fighting game the same. Not with the same intensity I did as a no child having, no relationship having, part time job having bachelor. But I'm gonna at least try to be competitive enough to be an effective gate keeper. Plus this game will give me an excuse to travel like I used to.

Great One it's funny, I was just looking at old pictures the other day and once again saw the photos from Devastation 2011. The one where we were outside the hotel chillin and all these chicks were walking back from that paint party that was going on down the street. So I started taking pictures of you with all these random ass white chicks from Arizona. Fun times!

Where are you at these days?
LOL! I was just telling Xeph how I begged you not to put those out there. I'm in Houston now. But yeah it's understandable. Still any type of Krayzie being around is just that much beneficial to us all. Maybe Krazie can sneak away once a year or so and come see us at a tournament if not for anything else we can give these kids the Hooters stories. Lol! Don't be a stranger man. We as a group need you.

Have they finally taken out the unnecessary quick step animation?
I am not very familiar with Sophitia's moveset so I can't tell if she did her 22 88 moves or not

• 1AA doesn’t KD on its first hit. Looks to be ~i28.

Agree, it totally looks like 0,46667 seconds. Good observation :)

Maybe bit early to predict exact frames, but IF it turns out to be exactly i28 you get a free drink on me lol.

I Like most of the stuff, but absolutely hate chip damage. Getting chipped to death with a mid horizontal full tracking move just sucks. (e.g. Asta 44A Chip damage?)

Live streams

4 Viewers
Diabro420
Diabro420
FGC Fridays Warmup Session : SC6

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrdaniyel
Back