Pyrrha Ω Gameplay Discussion / Q&A

Speaking of Astaroth, what's the best way to open up an Astaroth player? I know Asta is uncomfortable at close range but he isn't exactly helpless.

What are some good pokes/pressure attacks that can help me open up a person who has a strong defense? Are there any other good frame traps besides 4B?
Astaroth has pretty slow interrupts and his backstep is really short, so you don't even need to be at +2 to frame trap him. Possibly his most threatening interrupter is 6B and that's i20, so it'll still lose to your 2A at -6 (and Omega has loads of pokes that are -4 to -6 on block). As for his faster interrupts, 6K is stab punishable. Duck the second hit of 6AA and punish. If they're interrupting with 66K you can always OS JG or step when you expect it.

If you make it their priority to shut down your pressure, you'll be dealing with fewer throws and taking less guard damage. However you should always be mindful of 66K BE and 22B BE since Omega has few option selects to beat out both. You have 2A, 2K, or you can sidestep then attack (this OS allows you to step bullrush BE and interrupt 22B BE). Pokes with fast recovery like 22K, 6A, 3K and WR K are pretty useful too.

2K is pretty godlike against Astaroth. It interrupts and it kills step. And given his slow impact frames, being at -2 against him feels like neutral so it's pretty spammable when you're applying pressure. Though remember that if he blocks 2K he may punish with a crouch grab, so be ready to break A or B (FC A+G ROs forward and FC B+G reverse ROs).

The more you play the MU, the better you'll get at safely applying pressure, even in disadvantage. And don't forget that his block punishment sucks so you can use a few more unsafe tools when you feel it necessary.

Astaroth has pretty slow interrupts and his backstep is really short, so you don't even need to be at +2 to frame trap him. Possibly his most threatening interrupter is 6B and that's i20, so it'll still lose to your 2A at -6 (and Omega has loads of pokes that are -4 to -6 on block). As for his faster interrupts, 6K is stab punishable. Duck the second hit of 6AA and punish. If they're interrupting with 66K you can always OS JG or step when you expect it.

If you make it their priority to shut down your pressure, you'll be dealing with fewer throws and taking less guard damage. However you should always be mindful of 66K BE and 22B BE since Omega has few option selects to beat out both. You have 2A, 2K, or you can sidestep then attack (this OS allows you to step bullrush BE and interrupt 22B BE). Pokes with fast recovery like 22K, 6A, 3K and WR K are pretty useful too.

2K is pretty godlike against Astaroth. It interrupts and it kills step. And given his slow impact frames, being at -2 against him feels like neutral so it's pretty spammable when you're applying pressure. Though remember that if he blocks 2K he may punish with a crouch grab, so be ready to break A or B (FC A+G ROs forward and FC B+G reverse ROs).

The more you play the MU, the better you'll get at safely applying pressure, even in disadvantage. And don't forget that his block punishment sucks so you can use a few more unsafe tools when you feel it necessary.
It seems like DNS A and DNS B are excellent against Astaroth during the distance game. I'm gonna spend some time in the lab and see what the timing is for ducking under his 44A and other long range horizontal strikes. Something like 236236236236236236B:4 ought to do the trick.

Yeah, approaching him with the DNS stance is pretty good since it'll STC under most of his zoning tools (not 44B or 11B though). I wouldn't overuse it since he can simply FC grab you out of it or even launch you with 22B BE for half life if you're not careful, but it's probably worth trying every now and then.

STC 22A? Jeez just learn the timing to just guard it.

If you find yourself under crazy pressure and you just feel you need to press a button. You can jump B to avoid a B throw and fall out of his combo if he guesses wrong. It's actually a better option against the rest of the cast who don't have a normal air grab lol. You can also spam TC TS moves like 22B 11A 11B 33B 33A+B etc. But be smart. Pay attention to his patterns and his tendencies. Also, learn to just guard all his moves or at least know what to aim for.

You can abuse stuff that's unsafe, but if you're already doing that and paying for it with strong mix-ups, then you might want to substitute with safer moves that allow more wiggle room.

STC 22A? Jeez just learn the timing to just guard it
Using Pyrrha's and Omega's stances for the STCs is relatively unexplored but still used occasionally by players like Xeph, Partisan, and Ramon. Maybe just for showboating purposes, but still...
After all, JG is fine for beating 22A but it won't help against throws or CE.

Carp is right about 22B BE though. It sucks getting hit by it while floating DNS.

Her STC is more useful in certain MUs than others. For example, you can DNS under pretty much all of Pat's spammable mids - it goes under 66B, 44A and even 1B.

Maybe I should try to get more use out of the stance's STC, I probably don't use it enough.

Testing against Nightmare's Backstep: After being hit by BB, 2K, or 3K (Neutral Hit), I found some interesting results for punishing his backstep. Regular NS B and DNS B do not yield the appropriate stun animation for the attack throw to land, but NS:B (JF on initial stab) DOES connect for a full Attack Throw.

NS K, 66B, and 66B+K all whiff or are inconsistent at hitting backstep after connecting with BB, 2K, or 3K.

Last edited:
This sounded too fucked up not to test, so I did.

I could get the attack throw with each of these. Creating the starting distance by both letting Nightmare's toes push me out and by running into him then immediately doing the moves creating the closest distance possible. And I also tested CH and NH.

I think you're mistaken. Either that or you need to specify some more.

This sounded too fucked up not to test, so I did.

I could get the attack throw with each of these. Creating the starting distance by both letting Nightmare's toes push me out and by running into him then immediately doing the moves creating the closest distance possible.

I think you're mistaken. Either that or you need to specify some more.

If you run into him and do it before his natural pushback creates space, then yes, the regular versions might be able to connect. If you let his hitbox naturally slide you all the way back, then landing the attack throw without the first JF becomes impossible or inconsistent at best.

I performed all tests with the starting attack being NH.

This is all mid-screen, by the way. Walls and edges naturally close the space to make this easier. Then again, who backsteps with their back to a wall?

Ahh!, I just realized my mistake. I forgot to explain that I'm testing against Nightmare's BACKSTEP after those moves hit. Whoops. I've edited my previous post accordingly.

Last edited:
Well, that is a pretty major detail you left out there lol.

But yeah unless I missed something, that's just the nature of a counter hit tip. Unjust frame 236B doesn't go in at tip. You're at disadvantage on normal hit and I'm not really sure what you can get from the stun on counter hit tip 236B as far as wake up goes because I don't usually challenge back step that way.

Anyway, just frame 236:B will try its hardest to get into their gut for the attack throw. You might even witness "vacuum stabs". But if Nightmare's kicking his feet with, say 3K. And you just frame stab, you'll just stab his leg and it'll be as if you non just frame stabbed him.

This is the difference between just frame and non just frame. This can also be observed in DNS A 236B and DNS A 236 : B : 4.

Well, that is a pretty major detail you left out there lol.

But yeah unless I missed something, that's just the nature of a counter hit tip. Unjust frame 236B doesn't go in at tip. You're at disadvantage on normal hit and I'm not really sure what you can get from the stun on counter hit tip 236B as far as wake up goes because I don't usually challenge back step that way.

Anyway, just frame 236:B will try its hardest to get into their gut for the attack throw. You might even witness "vacuum stabs". But if Nightmare's kicking his feet with, say 3K. And you just frame stab, you'll just stab his leg and it'll be as if you non just frame stabbed him.

This is the difference between just frame and non just frame. This can also be observed in DNS A 236B and DNS A 236 : B : 4.

What I'm trying to say is that if you're confident in your ability to do NS:B, it's entirely possible to use it as a REALLY good backstep punish after hitting with common pokes like 2K and BB. Nightmare is notorious for using backstep to create a spacing trap, and this is a 65+ damage answer to it. Obviously it's not a safe option, but it's worth knowing when one read can take off 27% life.

In the past, I've encountered this backstepping scenario in real matches, only to end up whiffing or getting regular NS B, which is far from ideal.

Tip hit stabs are never a good thing in this game. Without Sophitia's classic TAS AA traps, we're a lot more limited on how we can use tip hits. As far as I know, a midscreen tip-hit DNS B can't be tech trapped against Left or Right tech.

What I'm trying to say is that if you're confident in your ability to do NS:B, it's entirely possible to use it as a REALLY good backstep punish after hitting with common pokes like 2K and BB. Nightmare is notorious for using backstep to create a spacing trap, and this is a 65+ damage answer to it. Obviously it's not a safe option, but it's worth knowing when one read can take off 27% life.

In the past, I've encountered this backstepping scenario in real matches, only to end up whiffing or getting regular NS B, which is far from ideal.

Tip hit stabs are never a good thing in this game. Without Sophitia's classic TAS AA traps, we're a lot more limited on how we can use tip hits. As far as I know, a midscreen tip-hit DNS B can't be tech trapped against Left or Right tech.
Well I don't think it's ever bad to get a knock down. You don't get tech traps but you could get a force block situation with 66B or 4B. Or 2K if they stay grounded into another situation.

CH4A 6B BE DNS B
Can someone tell me if that is at all a legitimate combo, cause a buddy of mine seems to think so, but I am not sold on it.

CH4A 6B BE DNS B
Can someone tell me if that is at all a legitimate combo, cause a buddy of mine seems to think so, but I am not sold on it.
He might mean 4(A)A → 6B BE, which is a combo although it's character specific. 4(A) gives a 16F stun, so I'm pretty sure 6B would work after it too, and maybe without the character-specificity (against the characters 4(A)A → 6BB doesn't work on, I prefer other options). Anyway, 4(A)'s stun is long enough that you can do:
4(A) → 2BB:4
4(A) → 66K → DNS B (ringouts)
4(A) → 6K → 2B+KBBBB (swag)
4(A) → DNS B:4

Seeing how 4(A)A is NC and not all that difficult to hit confirm, as far as I know there's not really a reason to do 4(A) combos over 4(A)A ones, except that the DNS B:4 may be easier on some characters after 4(A) due to a weird quirk of 4(A)A where some characters are forced into BT by it while others aren't.

As for the 6B BE, I find it's a bit more reliable for wallsplatting head-on than 66K, but for midscreen damage or ring outs by the edge it's a waste of meter.

I thought that 6B BE wasn't really used in a combo. I use it for a mixup cause I have been playing around with Pyrrha Omega. Those combos are something worth trying for me and I'll be sure to pass this on to him, so thank you Slade.

Using Pyrrha's and Omega's stances for the STCs is relatively unexplored but still used occasionally by players like Xeph, Partisan, and Ramon. Maybe just for showboating purposes, but still...
After all, JG is fine for beating 22A but it won't help against throws or CE.

Carp is right about 22B BE though. It sucks getting hit by it while floating DNS.
It super tech crouches under very common answers in certain frame traps.

I'm trying to understand Pyrrha Omega's brave edges (both of them) to see if there's any reason to work them in when I'm sitting on meter.

6B BE - I don't get where to use this. What I do get is that it seems to glitch sometimes, eating meter but still doing the non BE attack.
2B BE / FC 1B BE - A+B+K has a really long input window, making it counterhit confirmable. I don't remember the non BE version being CH confirmable.

I'm trying to understand Pyrrha Omega's brave edges (both of them) to see if there's any reason to work them in when I'm sitting on meter.

6B BE - I don't get where to use this. What I do get is that it seems to glitch sometimes, eating meter but still doing the non BE attack.
2B BE / FC 1B BE - A+B+K has a really long input window, making it counterhit confirmable. I don't remember the non BE version being CH confirmable.

Outside of shenanigans, I never use 6B BE. It's faster than Pie's 66B BE, but can be JG'd and punished all the same. It's an effective tool for working guard gauge against bad players, but I'd say that's about it. If you work silly stuff like 6B, Do Nothing vs 6B B, you might be able to catch them with the second hit of the BE. Even that's pretty pointless, though. You're better off not spending the meter and using it like this:
6B CH B (stun), CE. It's tough to hit confirm, but if you're buffering the CE motion, it can be done.

As for 2B BE, it's useful as a wall combo ended if you are prying for that tiny bit of extra damage but can't afford/don't want to use CE. It can be combo'd after stuff like 4[A], but there are higher damage options.

TLDR: Poe doesn't use her BE's. They're terribad. Meter is for GI and CE.

Back