Pyrrha Q&A/General DiscussionThread

Thanks for the answer CurryRaisu! I'll be sure to check out some of your ideas in game once I get home.
Unfortunately I can't play against you as I live in Finland (LAG), and I'm on XBL.

Hmm, I usually just use 66B BE as a normal attack, I'm not sure how I could use it as a part of a combo?
I can't use GI yet, and I'm not sure if it's even worth practicing a lot since it's even harder pulling it off online.

Yes, this is another move that I use often, but it feels a bit slow and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do if it gets blocked. If it does hit, then I'm able to continue with 4k and/or 1k which is great.

I really got to work on my spacing game and blocking in general, I'm blocking lows way too often nowadays...I'm not sure but it might be the fact that I've been playing Street Fighter and got used to the fact that low blocks pretty much everything there xD

Well I can't say for sure as I still haven't played that much against different characters since 50% of online players are Natsus while the rest mainly consist of characters like Mitsurugi and Nightmare I guess. It's just players that like to be very aggressive, running towards me all the time and using their fast/long range attacks and/or throws before I get the chance to respond.

66B BE is disasterous as a normal attack against anyone who knows how to just guard (same with 236AA BE). The 2nd hit is really easy to just guard. Alternatively, the 2nd hit can be stepped and there's a number of evasive moves that will dodge it as well. But, if your opponent doesn't demonstrate knowledge of how to deal with it, feel free to abuse it.
Combo wise, 4B 66B BE 22BAK is good. 22A 66B BE and CH 1K 66B BE are good too (especially if they try to tech, it'll launch them).
Its also just generally good against people who try to roll around, though somewhat risky if they stand up instead.

GI's are definitely worth practicing. GI into 236B:4 is really good damage for the meter expended. Just as a get out of a mixup free card, its great. You should also practice using her free A+B auto-gi against strings with mids in them. Don't waste meter on a GI when A+B can do it for free with the bonus of not being re-GI'able. And don't waste meter on a string when you can JG it and get a bit of free meter and a guaranteed punish.

If you hit with 22K, don't do 4K or 1K, you want to do: 22K 236B:4, it'll be far more damaging.

Blocking low without a purpose is a bad idea in general in this game. The really good and damaging moves almost all tend to be mids. The fast lows tend to just be light pokes, and the slower knockdown lows that you care about being hit by are fairly reactable. If I think someone is going to do a high/throw against me, I tend to prefer guessing with a TC move (3A+B, 6B+K, 66A) as that has a chance of interrupting a slower mid/low as well. Similarly with low/throw, TJ moves are good there (8K, 8B).

Natsu doesn't have too much in the way of range. Backdashing and 44B/44A tend to work well against her. Nightmare, is bad news for you, but, watch the Pyrrha vs Nightmare punishment video. It is annoying that only a small handfull of characters tend to ever be used online.
You can always practice the other matchups some against the cpu, that will at least teach you to react to some of their moveset (not necessarily the best parts of it) and let you practice blocking/punishing/JG'ing/GI'ing. I'll sometimes practice against it with the goal of only attacking back when guaranteed to do so (be it a whiff, JG, step, etc).

You can always practice the other matchups some against the cpu, that will at least teach you to react to some of their moveset (not necessarily the best parts of it) and let you practice blocking/punishing/JG'ing/GI'ing. I'll sometimes practice against it with the goal of only attacking back when guaranteed to do so (be it a whiff, JG, step, etc).

This is exactly what I was about to ask, I don't know where to practice these JG's and GI's, as there's such a small pool of characters that are played online, that I'm not familiar with every character's moves. There's still new moves and combos every day that surprise me, and I end up getting owned cos of that.

I actually tried the JG/GI things a bit earlier today but I barely managed to pull of 2/10 against a CPU in training, and when I did, I was always so surprised when I actually succeeded in doing it that I forgot to counter attack in time xD
And you were talking about Pyrrha's own GI, I don't know anything about it really, is it exactly the same as a normal GI using meter?

Ah well this probably doesn't really belong here since it's pretty much basic SC mechanics...

You really think so? I've always found this matchup to be heavily in Pyrrha's favor.

I don't like it myself. He can space you out very well. Sure he's unsafe as hell, but, that also involves correctly reading and blocking him, and even there, the damage ratio is in his favor. His grounded game is also particularly good, so once he does score a hit, you're just generally in trouble. A predictable Nightmare player is completely free though.

I need more experience against Nightmare's who space properly.

This is exactly what I was about to ask, I don't know where to practice these JG's and GI's, as there's such a small pool of characters that are played online, that I'm not familiar with every character's moves. There's still new moves and combos every day that surprise me, and I end up getting owned cos of that.

I actually tried the JG/GI things a bit earlier today but I barely managed to pull of 2/10 against a CPU in training, and when I did, I was always so surprised when I actually succeeded in doing it that I forgot to counter attack in time xD
And you were talking about Pyrrha's own GI, I don't know anything about it really, is it exactly the same as a normal GI using meter?

Ah well this probably doesn't really belong here since it's pretty much basic SC mechanics...

Pyrrha's A+B GI is different than a normal GI. It doesn't cost meter to do it for starters. It only works against mids (unlike GI which works against highs/mids/lows). It does an automatic attack depending on what type of move you GI'ed with it (horizontal, vertical or kick). http://8wayrun.com/threads/pyrrhas-combo-list.13229/ lists what combos you get off of it. Since the follow-up varies on the type of attack you auto-GI'ed with it, its mostly only useful for auto-GI'ing attack strings where you know what the attack is going to be.

For JG, its a matter of getting used to the timing (there are other threads on this). The trick is to tap and release guard fast enough that you barely see your character twitch. You want to learn to use it against any canned attack string that has a gap in it that is safe on normal block, especially all of the brave edges that end in a frame advantage guard break (such as Pyrrha's 66B BE and 236AA BE) as you don't want to be letting your opponent get away with those (and they tend to all become stab punishable on JG).
There's also a matter of practically on what you try to JG/GI. Take Cervante's BBB string. The 3rd hit is unsafe on normal block, but, you can easily JG it for some extra meter or A+B auto-gi it (as you know its a vertical, you'll know what follow-up to input). Aeon's BBB, the 3rd hit is safe on normal block, but still something you can JG or A+B auto-gi to punish regardless.
Now something like Siegfried's reverse side hold B/K mixup, you want to just use a normal GI on that as then you don't have to guess if he's doing the mid or the low, it'll beat both.

If you do GI, there's only really 3 things you want to do post-GI. 236B:4 for the guaranteed fast hit if you don't think they are going to re-GI. 4B for the slow hit to punish a re-GI attempt. And CE for guaranteed damage no matter what.

That cleared up some things, now it's just up to me to practice enough so that I can actually use all of your suggestions in a real match.

Thanks for the awesome help that you've been giving me! I now feel like I'm going to improve a lot in a short period of time, as long as I keep on playing and focusing on getting better.

Pyrrha is just like Cassandra, because both annoy the frame uninformed to no end. Shame that Pyrrha's BK isn't +2 like Cass's was.

Do you guys think Pyrrha can really be competitive on a medium-high level? I know I still suck, but somehow I feel like I there's a certain limit to how you can be with her given her somewhat limited(?) move set with the combos and everything. (I might just be raging after a few losses online but still)

I don't want to give up on this fine lady, but is there any really high level Pyrrha videos or some proof that could keep me motivated? Don't be hard on me! :<

Do you guys think Pyrrha can really be competitive on a medium-high level? I know I still suck, but somehow I feel like I there's a certain limit to how you can be with her given her somewhat limited(?) move set with the combos and everything. (I might just be raging after a few losses online but still)

I don't want to give up on this fine lady, but is there any really high level Pyrrha videos or some proof that could keep me motivated? Don't be hard on me! :<
Watch any video of the player called "Ramon" Pyrrha was practically hand tailored to his playstyle.

Back