Raph confirmed as SCV Nightmare :D

That's pretty much why people like Mortal Kombat 9 so much. Just the whole thing was "nostralgic", and used some sad excuse of "telepath" to bring viewers back to the past time.

Gameplay may have been good, but let's be real here. Alongside blood and gore, would people really like the game if the story wasn't revolved around MK1-MK3 and its characters, and instead went the Soul Calibur V approach?

It's bad enough a majority of MK fans didn't like the series after MK: Trilogy. MK4 onwards does have some characters who could actually be revamped pretty well (Li Mei, Bo Rai Cho, Tanya, Kai, Reiko, Hotaru), so-sos (Frost, Nitara, Mavado, Edenian brothers, Sireenah, etc.), and then there are those that don't need to come back (Hsu Hao, Mokap, Blaze, Kobra, Jarek). People liked Kenshi the most because of his design, so it was pretty obvious he was going to return in MK9 in some form.

Do I think SCV needs to do this? Absolutely not, especially since they have already taken the risk and moved forward on SCV. What's the use of going back?

This plus the fact that Project Soul probably dug a hole for themselves with the whole time traveling plot and the story itself confused people from act one until the climax.

Zasalamel has held Soul Edge during one of his lives.

Sounds more like an experiment in incompetence than anything terrible and catastrophic.

Because Zasalamel a millenia or so ago= Zasalamel with a massive ton of extra knowledge and abilities he didn't learn yet.

Because Zasalamel a millenia or so ago= Zasalamel with a massive ton of extra knowledge and abilities he didn't learn yet.

He held Soul Edge during the time he became suicidal, so at that point he'd at least been kicked out of his tribe - where he learned most of his knowledge in the first place - and had already lived through a number of lives. Maybe not as old and sage as his SCIV self, but definitely not naive and ignorant.

He held Soul Edge during the time he became suicidal, so at that point he'd at least been kicked out of his tribe - where he learned most of his knowledge in the first place - and had already lived through a number of lives. Maybe not as old and sage as his SCIV self, but definitely not naive and ignorant.
I thought he held Soul Calibur around the time he was kicked out of his tribe.

I thought he held Soul Calibur around the time he was kicked out of his tribe.

A quick timeline:

• Zasalamel born, lives with tribe dedicated to protecting Soul Calibur
  • Zasalamel covets Soul Calibur for immortality, fails and is cast out
  • Zasalamel, through study and training, becomes immortal through other means
  • Zasalamel has fun with being immortal, lives a number of lives
  • Zasalamel gets sick of being immortal, begins plotting to become unimmortal
  • Zasalamel gets a hold of Soul Edge, dies while possessed
  • Zasalamel reincarnates and returns to his tribe's homeland, finds all traces of tribe vanished and Soul Calibur gone
  • Event of Soul Calibur 3

Perhaps not naive and ignorant but definitely not as knowledgeable as he is now. Then again, Soul Edge chooses what to keep and leave behind. Perhaps an explanation for a lot of Nightmare's more "magical" moves are because of Zasalamel. Who knows, the developers can shoehorn anything we speculate into the continuity. All we know is Soul Edge choose the Zweihander style and an improvized version of Siegfried's moves based on personal preference.

--Forgon

A quick timeline:

• Zasalamel, through study and training, becomes immortal through other means
  • Zasalamel has fun with being immortal, lives a number of lives
  • Zasalamel gets sick of being immortal, begins plotting to become unimmortal
  • Zasalamel gets a hold of Soul Edge, dies while possessed

Oh ok. It would be cool to be immortal but then again having to much longer than your friends, family, and loved ones would be a bummer.

I often wonder what the story would be if we didn't speculate. I have this idea that the writers are lazy and just come into threads like this, see something and throw it in. "That looks well argued and reasonable. Let's do that, he's made all our points for us."

Such an easy job that would be. Hey writers, let Nightmare not be Raph, let it be uh.. Siegfried's Uncle. Second Uncle. Twice removed.

I often wonder what the story would be if we didn't speculate. I have this idea that the writers are lazy and just come into threads like this, see something and throw it in. "That looks well argued and reasonable. Let's do that, he's made all our points for us."

Such an easy job that would be. Hey writers, let Nightmare not be Raph, let it be uh.. Siegfried's Uncle. Second Uncle. Twice removed.

And his name will be Seigfreid.

Who is totally different from Siegfried. What a fresh and new character to move the story forward!

I agree with Le Bello. I am starting to notice how lazy the writers have gotten. Do they really want us to accept the premise for each character and their background? I rather they start over and freshen up each character so that we would actually care about rooting for or rooting against.

The PS writers aren't lazy, or at the worst not as lazy as they seem. Remember that Story Mode is half of its intended size. They could release a new edition with a full story mode or a huge expansion pack for all we know, provided Namco will let them.

The PS writers aren't lazy, or at the worst not as lazy as they seem. Remember that Story Mode is half of its intended size. They could release a new edition with a full story mode or a huge expansion pack for all we know, provided Namco will let them.

I'm harkening back to the old days when things were written so much better. As far as writing for stories and such go, I found Zasalamel's to be one of the more interesting. But now he's gone.

The concept and premise of Soul Calibur is why I am so attracted to it really. The characters come second for being far more diverse and elegant in aesthetic and appeal and are a lot more complicated and unique in their individual stories (once you actually find some walls of text that explain half the things happening).

By no means do I think the writers in Project Soul are lazy as they are out of their element. Story always comes second in a fighting game where the focus is always on the combat and actual diversity in play styles then it is in character or plot. If the writers actually were allowed to make a full story mode and fully develop other media (such as manga, anime, and literature) then I am sure Soul Calibur would shine as being an interesting universe (although I do not believe it beats a developer like Bioware in story and character complexity).

--Forgon

The concept and premise of Soul Calibur is why I am so attracted to it really. The characters come second for being far more diverse and elegant in aesthetic and appeal and are a lot more complicated and unique in their individual stories (once you actually find some walls of text that explain half the things happening).

By no means do I think the writers in Project Soul are lazy as they are out of their element. Story always comes second in a fighting game where the focus is always on the combat and actual diversity in play styles then it is in character or plot. If the writers actually were allowed to make a full story mode and fully develop other media (such as manga, anime, and literature) then I am sure Soul Calibur would shine as being an interesting universe (although I do not believe it beats a developer like Bioware in story and character complexity).

--Forgon

For the most part I actually agree. Although 4 was terrible, 5 has made an effort and really expanded the world - However that may be because of the outsourcing they were doing?

I do like a lot of the new characters, and I find their relationships interesting. On top of that, I'm glad it's FINALLY past the Siegfried arc. We knew it was going to be, but it's so nice to be over. The future of Pat/Pyrrha has a LOT of potential, I just hope it's executed well.

I'd like to take a moment to mention the Blazblue series though. They remind me of SCII, which managed to blend the story with the gameplay and create and enriching experience, which Le Bello feels hasn't happened since.

Even III's CoTS mode lacked any of the main cast, though I do realise that was to highlight the CaS mode and CaS Styles, more then anything, but I do think a similar mode should've found it's way in V.

Imagine, for a second, that there was a CoTS in V, only the main character was a general in the Wolfkrone army (you'd make it, to fit your playstyle of course). It'd give more backstory to the world they're trying to flesh out, and also to Nightmare/Dumas, and create a better scope of what's going on to further supplement Pat's actions and settings in the standard story mode. On top of that the RTS-esque action would make sense because you're in an army.

And dearest Hilde would get some much needed screentime.

But tell me that wouldn't help the story as a whole. It adds more outer-world perspective which only strengthens our knowledge of the character's stories we do see. But I just rambled a lot there.

(although I do not believe it beats a developer like Bioware in story and character complexity).
--Forgon

That must have been true before Dragon Age 2 then. From my experience that game ushered in a different type of Bioware. One i'm not particularly fond of.

Magnificent snip!

I feel a story mode that tells the main story not through the main cast but through a crafted CAS in a repeatable arc with multiple branches based on key player choices. Here is a scenario:

Your created character wakes up in a destroyed battleground from a village. You immediately encounter Tira who searches among the bodies for fresh souls to harvest. She proclaims your soul looks rich and yummy and that she wants to have it. Suddenly, soldiers of Siegfried appear and Hilde leads them and confronts Tira as the CAS character watches. As it ensues, the player is given the choice of joining Tira's side or Hilde's side. The player you choose his grateful. Say you choose Hilde, Tira will become enraged and attack you to keep Hilde from gaining a new ally. After you defeat Tira she runs off and you go back to the Fortress of Wind and fight for Siegfried's army, slowly rising to become one of the head generals that helps lead the assault against Nightmare.

On the alternative, you fight Hilde and repel her forces before you become Tira's sidekick. She plants you as a spy to help set up her master plan and leaves you as her splinter cell telling you she has business to attend to (Pyyrha). You then encounter Dumas and fight for him and go through the same process with different fights and seeing different characters and stories.

A mode like that would really allow you to meet and realize the type of characters you are with. Once you beat this story, the replay value in seeing the different endings and choices (maybe there are 15 in total on both factions and they create one of maybe 3 to 6 endings). This also allows you to eventually perfect the CAS you want and maybe "upgrade" them with new parts as story mode continues.

I feel that would have been a neat concept in-game.

That must have been true before Dragon Age 2 then. From my experience that game ushered in a different type of Bioware. One i'm not particularly fond of.

Dragon Age II's short comings were its experimentation that made it too radically different for a game. It is still a good game, a really good game, just a game that does not settle well with a majority of old fans which loved Origins. As far as I am concerned, this bs with Mass Effect 3 is just what happens when a consumer becomes too selfish in controlling a product to its exact specifications and not simply enjoying a story for what it is, no respect on the artist's part for what was made in my opinion. Once the criticism became simple bashing, I disregarded any opinion.

SC still has the best story/lore in any fighting game, and that's on top of the excellent gameplay.

No offense to my friend, but I can never get in to Tekken. I can live with magic and a few characters just having that model skin that ages well but once you have every character going through genetic engineering or cryogenic stasis to be young forever, you enter a realm of science fiction along with bad plot drama that really makes it fall apart. Why are half the characters still in Tekken again?

--Forgon

When was Tekken involved?
--Forgon

I like that idea, a lot. Usually I find multiple choice stories to be a cheap way of adding re-playability, but in this instance it's more than minor, and could work quite well. Though the player character wouldn't be able to have a dramatic effect on either side, or the (scattered and oft times weak) cannon would be further confused. Also, there'd need to be a reason to join Tira. But I like it.

The bad end happens when Dampierre smooth talks you before selling you to slavery =|;}D

Back