Raphael General Discussion / Q&A

WuHT

Premium Moderator
All miscellaneous questions and answers gathered here.

Here are the basic Raphael specific terms that you may encounter:

"Prep" = preparation stance

--A stance where you advance forward slowly and will last for about approximately 40 frames. You get access to special moves available anytime during this prep active window. If you don't use any attacks you will be able to automatically dodge all high attacks until the end of prep.

"SE" = shadow evade stance

--A stance only accessible from prep whereby you can manually activate by hitting 2 anytime during prep or letting the stance automatically activate in response to a high attack from the opponent when you are in prep. You get access to a limited set of powerful moves from this stance. The stance itself will tech crouch under all high attacks and high grabs and can be extended slightly by holding 2. Otherwise, the stance is temporary and will set you back to neutral stance after a short while

Those are the 2 official abbreviations, and any other ones are more colloquially used.

The only other short form i've seen in this subforum is "VE" representing a successful B+K auto-evade from his "necro form" though I suspect its usage will change to something more understandable because its SC4 terminology that refused to die.

Whats the good word on his auto evades and aGI properties? Can you use them to get out of BE strings you see coming like Pyrrha 66B BE??

From the limited testing I've done on this to this point, it doesn't seem to work well against strings. Will update if I find more.

I just had Shadow Evade evade Siegfried's 22*88A, which is a mid.

Shame that B+K and 4A+B GIs are virtually useless. Anyone find a way these are ever useful? Their windows are too late to throw into the mix after most all blocked attacks.

Shame that B+K and 4A+B GIs are virtually useless. Anyone find a way these are ever useful? Their windows are too late to throw into the mix after most all blocked attacks.

I'm gonna do a string defense guide to find some things for it. Aside from that, they're good if you know someone is going to use a certain move to step in - for example, Siegfried's 22A. 4A+B doesn't seem to be reGIable, so it's essentially having a meterless GI for certain moves. Not bad.

I did some testing on B+K and it seems that it cannot evade strings - if someone does BB, you can evade the first B, but you cannot evade the second B and you'll eat it. This also goes for other moves that "used" to be evadeable, such as GDR that count as multiple hits.

4A+B, since it actually uses a GI motion works fine against strings, stopping them as soon as the aGI kicks in, and I wasn't ever able to re-GI.

I did some testing on B+K and it seems that it cannot evade strings - if someone does BB, you can evade the first B, but you cannot evade the second B and you'll eat it. This also goes for other moves that "used" to be evadeable, such as GDR that count as multiple hits.
The guide is lies then.
Make sure when the site wiki is populated, that it doesn't say "immune" to verts for B+K.

It can dodge SOME sort of canned strings. I just found that it is very effective against Pyrrah 66B BE you can B+K and hit before the BE part hits, which is infinitely easier than stepping between the two parts.

Also, there are some things in the guide that seem to have changed since the guide was written, so it is possible that some things are outdated.

Random Maxi knowledge, 66b blocked, into the backfist, somehow whiffs right in Raph's face if he just stands still and guards. Don't think any other character will have that happen, tested most of the small characters already and they all are forced to block it. Not range dependent, since 66b pushes you to a set distance. If you just stand there and guard, the backfist will whiff.

The kick out of that same stance will hit your guard however, and is + on block, but high. So watch out for that.

Good discovery, but upon further reflection you can actually backstep/sidestep with ease .. as well as 6BB him out of it.

funny thing you probably already know
when the bar flashes yellow prep 3BB:BE will break guard and if you do that near the edge you can RO with 66K
Its a valid strategy considering how easy is to push opponent near the edge even if he steps.

Good discovery, but upon further reflection you can actually backstep/sidestep with ease .. as well as 6BB him out of it.

I haven't tested this, but it sounds like 4B or 44B may hit for better damage, if you are out of range already?

I haven't tested this, but it sounds like 4B or 44B may hit for better damage, if you are out of range already?

You will get CH out of 4B (apparantly that move sticks him forward a bit). 8A+B will not get hit (but will whiff in return).

Though I don't claim to be good, I feel Raphael's damage output is just not enough. Nightmare just chews him up and spits him out for instance (the character everyone plays online, frustratingly).

What do you follow up 22b with?

Why do the GI moves just not connect? There seems to be something a bit weird with the timing of such moves, including regular GI and just guard, the timing is so precise I have to wonder if it even works properly at all.

The auto GI moves work, for sure. I was using it to aGI Pyrra 66B this weekend (off 8A+B), so I can confirm this.

Shoot for a GI or see if you can squeeze a quick 6B in there. I understand it's one of Raph's faster attacks. If you get lucky, you can score a CH on the 6B and ride it out for a full prep combo or BE.

How do you deal with the characters that don't let up and give you no room to do anything?
You need to use a combination of step, tech jump, tech crouch, and sway moves. Raph can't just stand and trade with people, he gets his damage and controls the match in unorthodox ways. Use his 44B, 4(B), 1K, 6K, 2A, A+BA, 8A+B, and everything else you can get your hands on.

Back