Raphael General Discussion / Q&A

Sometimes I wonder if Namco had really considered the consequences of removing 8wayrun moves from neutral. I wouldn't mind having to input 33A like it was in the previous soul caliburs. But with the stepping delay 33A is just useless.

They didn't consider a lot of consequences before they made this game. I can't think of a single justification for the qs coming out before the move after buffering except laziness.

it creates risk/ reward and keeps normal step from having no purpose. it inline with their idea that movement should no be brain dead and have some risk

it creates risk/ reward and keeps normal step from having no purpose. it inline with their idea that movement should no be brain dead and have some risk

This seems unlikely. Especially because you can't even avoid the qs if you buffer the command during another move or block.

QS makes u step further but has more start up while step starts up faster but dosnt go as far. being forced to QS when double tapping prevents characters like raph from being raped on liner pokes

Yes that's fine but there's no need for the qs to force itself out when doing 8wr moves. We're not talking about the actual qs. I don't see a real issue with that. It's the tiny qs before any 8wr move that we're talking about, even if not from neutral it still comes out.

care to be more specific cuz i dont think i grasp what you are saying. i havnt notice ne quick step animations when doing 8WR moves

care to be more specific cuz i dont think i grasp what you are saying. i havnt notice ne quick step animations when doing 8WR moves

Go do............ say, 66B, as the lightning dies down and Raph recovers from the move, quickly buffer in a 11K. For some reason Raph will do a very short (like 10 or 13 frames or something) quick step to his right or left and THEN do the kick. This didn't happen in older Caliburs, the 8wr move would come out at the earliest possible frame w/o Raph moving at all if you buffered correctly. If you're simply 8wr for a while and THEN do the move then you don't get the qs animation.

If there's a way to buffer 8wr moves in this game and NOT get the qs transition I would LOVE to hear it.

Whatever the reason they chose to make it like this, in the end it sucks.
It reduces options in a game where movelists were already butchered.

the step-G was a pretty big bug so this is likely preferable

You don't think they could have left 8wr buffering alone and simply made it so you couldn't block for a couple frames after a qs? I mean, they could code in bastard ass run counter hits into movement so why not?

i honestly dunno. all i know is that Step G was a prob for like ever and the one game where the buffering mechanic change is the one w/o step G. Its just a guess though

i honestly dunno. all i know is that Step G was a prob for like ever and the one game where the buffering mechanic change is the one w/o step G. Its just a guess though

Perhaps I'm a minority in this regard but I'd rather go back to the old system and have proper 8wr move buffers.

really? i find the reliance on QS means linear characters like raph dont get too destroyed when steped. its prevents BS like me blocking a BB then getting hit by pyrrahs 22BAK cuz she buffered in a step.

@reptile congrats on the soul cast, i gotta give it a listen when im done with school today

really? i find the reliance on QS means linear characters like raph dont get too destroyed when steped. its prevents BS like me blocking a BB then getting hit by pyrrahs 22BAK cuz she buffered in a step.

You're right. Also, since the frames became wider in SC4, step was less effective than in previous games and step g made it worse. Raph's stepping speed in SC4 was better than many characters but he was weak at preventing his opponents from stepping him. Imo QS addressed these issues. I like how stepping and 8wayrunning are more distinct from each other now.

What advantages does 22A have over 22K? 22K brings much more rewards on CH and It's also safer on block. It's duckable but so is 22A. But I rarely see anyone going for the kick to prevent stepping. Why?

Back