Raphael General Discussion / Q&A

lol pretty gd, i got an epic one myself. i 236b algol outta his teleport but the thing was i attacked where he was, but he took the hit after teleporting on the other side of the stage. shit looked mad glitchy

Guys!! I was randomly fooling around practicing against a dummy Nighty and by chance I did A+BA while NM was in the middle of 22B. 22B whiffed and Raph's attack connected. We might have a good option against 22B. Can somebody test it and confirm whether A+BA consistently avoid NM's 22B?? The timing is probably strict though.

If you see 88B coming early enough to evade it with A+BA, wouldn't it make more sense just to JG it and take a much larger punish?

So i been using raph lately....(since I used him in sc4) and I know the challenge I face when I use raph since I main zwei...but my thing is whats the game plan with him? I been a bit frustrated using him against my high level friends lately here's why:

I find myself in fairly difficult situations when my opponents health bar is in yellow because the pokes to me won't do the damage to secure the round. Yeah i can use other moves but his pokes to me just won't do in the end.. I know i have other options, but when my opponent is spacing properly and daring me to use his 236 B or 66A to get in I often freeze at mid screen not knowing how to proceed. Ugh i can't explain this one well if any of u fought my raph on XBL then you'll understand what im talking about.

I think the best way to use prep is when my opponent gets hit by my move that can lead into a prep transition. On block I find it not really the best way to enter prep....since it seems alot of chars have Tc and TS options to deal with it. My thing is after raph ducks and does either A or B (sorry don't know the notation yet) how should I proceed with pressure?

And finally any use for 4A+B when doing prep? I have no clue what the auto GI does for him....So yeah and feedback is appreciated. Right now I just space and whiff punish with 236 B and to get in I do 66A, 2k to apply pressure..and not sure if im correct on this...but to me it feels like raph has to control mid range better and then force his opponent to make mistakes especially with prep on hit....thats just how I see it

Overhauled the SA today. Can't get a hold of piggy, so anyone interested in moderating this SA, drop me a PM.

What do you mean you can't get a hold of me - I'm right here, my friend!

You need to get on your PMs, my friend.

With that said, though, Kowtow disappeared months ago. Like I said, PM me if you're interested.

You need to get on your PMs, my friend.

With that said, though, Kowtow disappeared months ago. Like I said, PM me if you're interested.

No PMs from you, my friend :-p Hit me up and let me know what I can do.

I'm no pro by any means (even though I've actually won some money in small tournaments), but I've found that trying to get in range with 66A is not always a very good strategy. It's easily baitable (since it's a high and fairly slow, they can get a WR attack or a TC off of it) and not the greatest on block or even on hit. When you're at a health disadvantage you don't have much of a choice, but if you're up in health I try to keep poking and zoning.

So i been using raph lately....(since I used him in sc4) and I know the challenge I face when I use raph since I main zwei...but my thing is whats the game plan with him? I been a bit frustrated using him against my high level friends lately here's why:

I find myself in fairly difficult situations when my opponents health bar is in yellow because the pokes to me won't do the damage to secure the round. Yeah i can use other moves but his pokes to me just won't do in the end.. I know i have other options, but when my opponent is spacing properly and daring me to use his 236 B or 66A to get in I often freeze at mid screen not knowing how to proceed. Ugh i can't explain this one well if any of u fought my raph on XBL then you'll understand what im talking about.

I think the best way to use prep is when my opponent gets hit by my move that can lead into a prep transition. On block I find it not really the best way to enter prep....since it seems alot of chars have Tc and TS options to deal with it. My thing is after raph ducks and does either A or B (sorry don't know the notation yet) how should I proceed with pressure?

And finally any use for 4A+B when doing prep? I have no clue what the auto GI does for him....So yeah and feedback is appreciated. Right now I just space and whiff punish with 236 B and to get in I do 66A, 2k to apply pressure..and not sure if im correct on this...but to me it feels like raph has to control mid range better and then force his opponent to make mistakes especially with prep on hit....thats just how I see it

Raph is a reactive fighter - he can be played aggressively, but given his linearity and weakness to step, this isn't always an option. His best game plan is range-pokes and spacing. Staying at a safe range and luring in whiffs for heaving poke punishes is the best way to play him initially, before you learn his offensive options.

4A+B only GIs horizontal highs and mids - useful against close-range A spammers like Pyrrha, but limited in usefulness. Apparently though, successful GI links to 3A, which can wall splat if correctly positions. Still, this is a close-range attack, and it takes a lot of prediction.

Yellow bar indicates 60 HP or less. 66A+G does 60 guaranteed damage. Therefore, on yellow bar, 66A+G is a guaranteed kill.

I'll post more later when I have time.

Raph's UB is excellent for punishing Tira's when u activate that revenge-aGI B+K thing she does in gloomy.

Plus, it actually has wallsplat followups, which is pretty good.

You can see it in my sig, but here's Raph's highest damage combo - 70% of the gauge:
:4::4::A+B: W! :3::A: W! :3::(B): ~ PREP :B::B::B:, :2::3::6::2::3::6::A+B+K:=169 damage / 1.0 meter

Depending on your meter, you can sub out CE for 66A+B or BB(BE) for lower numbers, but still pretty damned high output for Raph.

UB cancelling from distance is a good way to transition into Prep while faking out the opponent, making them drop their guard, especially if they sidestep, as it'll track. It's a fantastic feint for leaving an opponent vulnerable to SE B, which is his best combo starter.

Also, you can tech trap an opponent into his UB with 22/88B: knocks down on hit, and if you start UB immediately after, it's a guaranteed hit if they wake up instead of rolling.

And if you see them rolling, you have enough time to cancel UB into Prep, which leads straight into the above SE trap.

Thanks for the input guys if any of yall Have XBL just hit me up so I can get a better critique on my raph. Me and Leonyx already scheduled to play this weekend

That's not the highest you can get ^_^

Care to actually point out a higher one then? Typically when you challenge a claim, you need evidence to support your own.

There wasn't one as high as mine listed on the forum when I pointed it out yesterday.

Yes, but we've all contributed to that combo list, with many combos still left uncontributed.

This is fun, so here's a tip - It involves walls and a Prep K BE Tech trap!

Eh, tech traps aren't combos. 169 seems to be the highest guaranteed damage you can get for Raph with the combo he has in his sig. Prep K BE W! → 22B → 3A W! → 3(B) → Prep BBB → CE is close at 160-something but as far as I know there's no higher guaranteed damage than the 169 one.

Prove me wrong Raph forums.

Back