Raphael : Patch Changes and Discussion

I find this update confusing without further details.

It could even be a nerf in the end, it's not clear at all.

This was in reference to Aeon 66A's change note being "shortened freeze for performing the move". From this we can extrapolate that 22B gives less advantage on hit...that might not be such a good thing. We'll have to wait and see.

This terminology is still confusing. I'd be worried, if they nerf the recovery on hit will 3B still combo?

The whole thing sounds terrible, it is SC3 AE all over again. Nerf a character who is already weak, since you are nerfing everything.

But this is a premature judgment, hopefully it isn't a big deal and this whole thing is just a big misunderstanding.

Depending on how the opponent crumples after 22B (and if the stun on HIT is actually reduced) I see the following possibilities:

Worst case scenario: nothing is guarnateed after.
2nd worse case scenarios : 2K/2B/1B/1A/3A are the only options on hit.
Somewhat ok scenario : A+BA will align properly so you have to dash in to score the hits (like CH 33B)
Best scenario : 3B~prepBBB combo works, and the 3rd hit re-stuns for some sick combo ender.

increased freeze = increase recovery animation
even if the opponent is stunned for the same amount of time, Raph may not have enough time to initiate his optimal combo (3B) because he recovers now slower relative to his opponent.

I'll be fine with 22B not being sortabusted like it is now, as long as these other tools add up to something. I feel like unless the prep K changes help to actually cover holes in Prep, then he's still got a lot of the same issues. A damage adjustment isn't what he needed.

No word on 22B combos realigning properly, we'll have to test this ourselves. Command grab meter gain being fixed is good.

Things that were really good that hasn't changed:

A+BA doing incredible damage off walls, ground (if all 3 hits connect)
wrB being still i13 and having crazy range

It really just looks like they made 22B slower on start up, but it's hard to know right now because Namco descriptions are wack.

It really just looks like they made 22B slower on start up, but it's hard to know right now because Namco descriptions are wack.

Seriously, employing someone who is good at English/Japanese and fighting games too much for a multimillion dollar co.?

My only real beef with the changes so far is that Pyra and Patrokonus received virtually 0 changes assuming my change list is accurate. Why Namco decides to relentlessly fuck with some characters (for better or worse) and leave others alone is frustrating.

im almost positive 22B is either slower on start up(doubt it) or longer recovery on whiff. if you look at the notes cervantes BT B+K says " says lengthen opponents freeze when hit". 22B description mentions noting about hit or block. with how fast the move recovered on whiff for the dmg output it gave, its a fair trade for possibly more dmg on it.

The changes with SE are not too bad and they SE k alone which is great. Im still pretty hyped

EDIT: to add to this natsu WSk is "Lengthened for performing this move" and in the trailer you see that is now -12. i think we had this all wrong. lengthened freeze is more negative frames on block and shortened opponents blocks freeze may just be block stun( so frames may still be the same)

The increased delay before you can hit guard while backstepping doesn't affect raph if he's on the offence (6BB/3B/236B at the appropriate ranges). I don't backdash that much with raph, but it looks to be quite a loss.

I also need to see the new 'stun' before I make up my mind as to whether it's a net gain or loss patch for him.

My interpretations and thoughts...

22B is slower execution but doesnt effect combos
Assuming 6B BE and prep B BE means the same thing despiye different wordings it means more disadvantage on block....

I guess really gotta wait a few days to know....

As for prep k its a mid and thats whats good about it.... anything else is a bonus....so dont think of it beating step despite what the animation suggest...

Now that it causes stun it makes the move even better but i doubt you will get 3B else itll make prep k be even more useless

Prep k be increase damage on first hit also prpbably means more damage on CH

In general im happy with the changes not specifically to raph but to the overall system and the overall character patch.

-LAU

Back