Raphael Video Discussion

Hello, fellow Raph players. Here are a few games I played recently. Feel free to advise me as far as the Pyrrha and Oprah match ups are concerned. Apart from the silly mistakes I made, I often feel powerless against them. Please give me feedback ^^.

Kojiro I think you just need tips on how to zero in on what you do that IS working. You're doing impressive stuff. Some interrupts I'd never have confidence for.
What you need to do is spot: The opponent just whiffed. Why? You can do your damage, but you must understand how your opponent is thinking to get an advantage.

You also must not be passive about prep. Use prep as though you are certain what the opponent will do. Your payoff will be so much better. If you do 3(B) AB, it is because nothing in prep would benefit you. Proceed immediately to trip up some sort of prep reaction. That said, your style gives me the idea of baiting players into being interrupted with Prep BB / AB (block) -> Critical Edge.

As well, your loss to Pyrrha seems to be clumsiness rather than technique. The way you got yourself out of bad situations was... admirable. Look out for errors like not knowing how far backstep will get you and how long it takes to QS. Keep in mind BB is a good tool when Raph has +. Its use can create mistakes responding to 3(B), but more concretely, so long as you yourself are not being lured into BB dependence, the BBB CH string does good damage. Take advantage. I mention this because of how you respond to block pressure strings reaching their end. These are very insidious mixups only some characters have, and can be used much better than this player used them. When you have been given frames you must not be intimidated into passivity on the basis of the setup but solely on expectation of what the opponent does in -this- situation. You have the frames. Exploit them.

Pretty entertaining matches. A lot of the same mistakes I do (getting caught stepping/backdashing at mexican stand offs) plus the hesitation on ambiguous frame situations/momentum shifts where you give your opponent just way too much respect.

Were you playing the computer?

To be more specific I meant in the 2nd round of matches where your opp has no name listed. At any rate, you're a strong player. Just try not to freeze so badly when Pyrrha and Opyrhhha do open up for mistakes (of which I'm guilty too)

Well,i do not even main Raphael, but i always liked him and he is in my top 5 of the character usage. He fits perfectly with my jump-spacing playstyle and well, here are some matches i had.Please criticize and advice me :) .

Vs ErgoPhoenix
Vs Downcast766
Vs Ub3r_Schn1tzEl
Vs a100percent
Vs FeelMyLance

do you have a particular reason why you advocate G7 (ie jumping back). Most of the scenarios I've seen you attempt it, a clean backdash would have sufficed.

I'm thinking that you're hoping being hit in the air leads to the opponents not getting an optimal combo if they attempt a backdash-killing attack. Jumping eats up 33 frames until you can guard again, so if you have lay out a discussion on which key back-dash punishers are reduced by taking the hit as an aerial hit rather than a back-dash counterhit.

So far it looks like you're jumping mainly for the sake of jumping.

I'm thinking that you're hoping being hit in the air leads to the opponents not getting an optimal combo if they attempt a backdash-killing attack. Jumping eats up 33 frames until you can guard again.

That may be my reason to G7 sometimes, but also i feel that i disconcert my opponent in some ways. Also a G7 followed by a 236B is sweet.It works i would say 85% of the times. Rarely i used it in close distance unless i expect a low attack from my opponent, if im wrong their attack would be aerial as you mentioned.

Jumping eats up 33 frames until you can guard again

I didnt know that, so it is good to know

Marry Christmas folks but to get on the point. I just uploaded a really old video of me on ranked PSN a couple of months ago against a Cervy CAS and can anyone tell me what the hell happened around 2:02 in this video cause that shouldn't of happen?

Good fight Gamegenie. Very nice use of 1K, 2A, and throws. Got thrashed a little in the beginning though but you took out the dread pirate nonetheless.

It looks like Cervy did flash GDR while you did 11K, causing both of you to go off-axis. That was a cool glitch though. The second time, you got a back throw and I was like "Oh yeah!!!".

Edit: Also around 1:26, I was afraid 33B was going to whiff but it didn't. Guess the hitbox on that move is pretty nice.

To Doomgucci about his VS Xiba : 2A interrupts several of Xiba's BE such as those starting with 4 or 6 or 3B ( can't remember the right input, sorry ). In fact, any 2K interrupts them but that might just be a reminder to you all ^^.

Well, I finally got a HD PVR. It should arrive today, ready for after work. I'll try and get some stuff up soon.

Side note - where do I post Elysium game-play?

I'm going to upload some Rapheal video. Please advise.

and, I can not speak American well, because Im form Far East(=South Korea).
I must solely rely on the Chrome Translator. Thank you for your understanding.

but, Please advise. I want to talk about Rapheal...

My favorite thing about that one vs Astaroth is your ability to break grabs. I wish I was that good at it!

Edit: After watching all of your videos, you do a good job! I feel like you should work on your spacing some though, especially in the Natsu match up.

I really like your use of the 2/8B+K. It was doing a lot for you in the Natsu game.

Some good matches, nice use of the 8/2B+K, but your strings are a bit predictable.

Against Asta, you can use a large amount of 4A+B and B+K, both of which you set up and chose to not go for. I only saw the first two matches, but you seem decent!

Read Heaton's string defense guide for more ideas. Asta alone has several strings you could have used 44A+B on.

I watched the third video. Your play flaws are a little more apparent there.

You need to not just memorize the best combos in terms of damage, but also the best situational combos as well. For instance, the Prep K BE wall-splat you got on the destroyable wall could have been followed with 22B CE, or lots of others.

Prep SE should not really be thrown out at close range if you see your opponent 3B'ing so much too.

Back