Rock General Discussion

I've been noticing some odd discrepancies in character's hitboxes lately. In particular, at a certain range CH 6b+k, GT totally misses on Sophie.

But you know, Rock.

Messing around trying to find some force blocks. I left ones with holes in them since some may want to try them. All testing was done on Rock.

CH 6AA 1A
1A RCC 1A or 1A 11A (in a corner)
4A 1A
214AAA 6B+K (can be rolled left, force block otherwise)
214A:A:A 1A (only a force block if teched to the right, tech trap in the other directions)
CH 1BB 6B+K
CH 4B 1A
WR B 22B (can be rolled left)
CH 6K step forward 1A
CH 6K step forward 6B+K
CH 4KA 1A
FC 3K 1A
CH WR K step forward 1A
CH 6A+B 6B+K (can be teched left)
CH 6[A+B] 1A
4A+B 1A
[B+K] 1A
6B+K 1A
22B 1A
CH 11B 1A
11(B) 1A
11(B) B+K
CH 44BB 1A
66K 1A
66K 22B (can be rolled left)
22K 11A
CH 44K 1A
A+G 6B+K
B+G 2A
Back throw 6B+K
2A+G 1A
2A+G 22B (can be rolled left)

Interesting note: This works because of how the ukemi system in SC4 is. It's the same concept as Tira JS 1A (tip) 44B. Rock hits with 2A+K and does 11A. If they try to block it low they eat it. Four points less dmg than the 6B+K combo if they don't do anything; 4 points more if they try to block it.

I've been noticing some odd discrepancies in character's hitboxes lately. In particular, at a certain range CH 6b+k, GT totally misses on Sophie.

But you know, Rock.

Unfortunately rock has lots of issues with hit-boxes. x3

Does ground throw fully wiff on Sophie or does it miss while she's trying to get up?

----

Hello Mikosu. I like to use force blocks sometimes. They're a safe way to prevent opponents from using while rising moves and 1A surprisingly does some decent soul gauge damage for a low horizontal move.

2A+K, 22B, I believe, is also a force block. :) I actually prefer to nail the opponent on his/her way up but, usually, that does not happen.

2A+K gives a lot of stuff. That being said, I still would take the consistent damage and ground throw over the force blocks... UNLESS IT IS YODA.

Looking for consistent damage for when you just need to end the round. 2a+k, 2b works. I'll test some more stuff.

You're right D_Matt_Ma. Unless their soul gauge is in trouble, we might as well use other attacks.

Hi Page. 11A and 2A+K are also good options. 2A+K body slam is a good option just because we can use a good mix up after we connect with the slam. 2A+K brings you close to the opponent, plus may provide a little bit of frame advantage.

There may be a way to solve the problem of opponents trying to GI or JI the final hit of 214A:A:A >:D. Try this.

When using 214A:A:A, sometimes, just dish out the first two hits instead of all three. But, even when only performing the first two hits, use the just frame on that second hit. When people are focused on JI or GIing the 3rd hit and all of the sudden, they do not see it coming, they'll have to switch their strategy from GIing to retaliating. This will take some time (fraction of a second). May be there will even be enough time for you to start a mix up right after the 2nd hit. Try using 11, 11B or grabs after the 2nd hit.

However, if the opponent is bent on retaliating right after your 214A:A:A is over, then they won’t take much time at all (they’re not changing their minds) and punish you after your second hit.

I gotta add that using just frame on the second hit will decrease our time it takes for that second hit and the opponent’s block stun to recover (which will help us start our mix up earlier).

I would rather just not use the move at all. If you stop on the 2nd A, you are left around even frames against the opponent, simply because Rock's movelist is so slow.

Hi Matt.

Sorry I had problems editing. In my previous post, some parts are stuck in bold x3.

Matt, stopping the move on the second A will give us negative frames on block. The opponent can punish. However, if the opponent is predicting that we'd give out the 3rd A and then doesn't see it coming, and then changes his mind to perform a counter, the opponent will take some time. That might give us some + frames. Seems like a silly idea; we've got to try it out in competitive play. Use a mix up of both 214A:A and 214A : A : A so the opponent does not know if the third attack is really coming or not.

I don't know if it'll work in high level play.

Matt is right though. Overall, Rock has a slow moveset, so we need to becareful when attacking and wait for an opportunity rather than jumping in (as Lau once mentioned).

Back