Rock General Discussion

mikosu

Goderator of pink hearts
Post anything here to avoid having multiple unnecessary threads.

I'm testing Rock's post-GI game and it seems he fares much better if they re-GI. I tried to list what seem to be the most potent followups i.e. damage and/or mixups.

No re-GI: 3B, throw attempt

Re-GI: 214AAA, 44[A], 11_77[ B ], 22_88B, 3[K], 2A+K, 2B+K

2A+K is in because it's a low. 22_88K is nice for re-GI too but you get the same benefit with a bit more damage and GB pressure from 11_77[ B ]. 3[K] is great because it crushes in 9 so you benefit well either way. 2B+K is for mixups. If damage is your concern I suggest 3B and 44[A] as your post-GI mixup.

Parry: crouch throw/ground throw mixup

I need someone to do an Punishment list for Ivy. I can do all remaining characters because I know how to use them. Ivy... not so much. I literally have no clue what I'm doing and what stance the holy chick is in to record accurately.

Post GI, I use 3B. I shy away from 22_88B because it misses too often. 214A I've been avoiding due to it whiffing when not point blank. 44[A], 2A+K, and 2B+K are what I've been using.

Always on top of everything huh Draco? I'll help you out with Ivy so leave it to me. I'm also thinking of making LAU your co-mod. I mean he's obviously the best choice IMO.

This is prolly already known, but if you ever get a sideways wallsplat from A+B or its counterpart (i.e. you and your opponent are roughly parralel to the wall), then you get a free crouch throw from a surprisingly long distance. The 2A+G throw does 77, while the 2B+G 9B 6B+K throw does 95 (I think).

Mikosu, you should include parry. I'll look into that as well. Astaroth is the only character who can effectively use parry due to his 2B+K and Crouch Throw mix-up. For Rock, a close parry gives a crouch throw ground throw mix-up.

I finally got a headfirst 1A+G ring out today. And one from his side throw. O_o

Anyone know how exactly the 1A+G RO works? I've only had it once, ever, and it was online.

u just have to be like right near the edge, and i mean really right near the edge, if it's a corner even better. I've gotten it once in my life and i was shocked i was like whoa this actually rang out haha

I finally got a headfirst 1A+G ring out today. And one from his side throw. O_o

Anyone know how exactly the 1A+G RO works? I've only had it once, ever, and it was online.

You have to be REALLY close to the ring. You can do it by either getting really lucky or doing it after 3A+G. The only way to get an opponent that close to the ring edge is to do it by juggle. The moment you do something that sets them up on the ground (2A+K for example), the game pushes rock back automatically and 1A+G no longer can ring out.

Sigh... since no one will test this for me, I need some help.

2A+K is the low

For the mid, 22K and 44K. Do any of these mids look like the 2A+K low? I thought 22K looked a lot like 2A+K at first, but now I seem to have a harder time with 44K. Can someone confirm that I'm not just getting old and that the two mid kicks do look like 2A+K?

And happy new years, Bangoo style.

Well, 22K turns the same way. And assuming 2A+K has only a little time to react to, the turn may throw them off, or so I though. Unfortunately, that didn't work.

So, talked a bit with Lau and watched some of his recent Rock matches. I can see what he's doing, but it's so very different from what I'm doing. Wow. I'm definitely working in more BB, though.

Aside from that, 3A+G, B+K -> 2B+G is my new favourite thing. I've got my own Rock RO combo, woo!

Getting JF PT pretty consistently now. Then today OOF JIs the last hit and gets a CF for it. :/

I think I'm going to start using 4/1G a little more now. Once I get used to it I think I can get ground throws with the right alignment, and then low throws once they start teching.

uhm, i haven't really played rock since he was berserker in sc2, but i played against someone that did a nice tech catch setup. i dunno if it is known, or if these are even the right conventions. this is going to be the noobest post i've made in a long time in terms of using conventions...

3a+g, b+k, 3a (tech catch), 9b (tech catch)

i think those are the conventions. he throws the opponent up in the air, ass drop, gives what looks like a hug (asty's 3a. don't know if it's the same with rock), then 9b (the only convention i'm absolutely sure about).

bah, he was lucky ;)

B+k -> 2G+B tech trap? or u meant B+K -> GT?
Either way it's good stuff.

No, I've been having trouble with my range after B+K, so now I dash in and go for the crouch throw tech trap. Works VERY well, and once they stop teching again I can get my ground throws easy, or even start using 1K,GT for positioning.

So, it's 6K, 3A+G, B+K -> 2B+G (catches tech after B+K), then your preferred A+B direction for ROs. Covers a lot of distance, does good damage, makes me feel warm.

Back