Rock matchups

I already said rock is 4 vs 6 against most characters. Only notable ones that are not are Asta which is 5 vs 5 and algol which is 3 vs 7

Random Crouch Throws will shut down his throw/bullrush game. In fact, you will notice that without bullrush, the Asta match up becomes WAY easier. So shut that down and it gets better. Other than that, all I do is get him on wake-up and keep him there. The dude doesn't have anything fast 2A/BB, so just pound him to submission.

Matt, you know I love CTs but CT does not shut down Asta. Let's examine this:

1) Asta bullrush, you CT ... he can still break your CT
2) Asta command throw, you CT ... it's a double whiff situation
3) Asta does something else, you CT ... you get owned. Asta does not have to force the traditional bullrush/command throw mixup here because a) Rock's interrupt game isn't that scary, Asta can try other mixups b) Asta can give up a mixup opportunity and move to mid/far range where he outclasses Rock.

In my opinion, you're better off going for SG damage to force mistakes in this matchup.

I like that CT spam idea vs Sieg though. Will try it on probably LAU's Sieg.

D:

I actually disagree with you saying most of rock's match ups are 4:6 and except asta being 5:5

i see it as.... the other way around... most of it is 5:5 with exception to a several (asta included) that's 4:6

but anyways

do whatever you want with the list... not that my opinion matters

-LAU

I don't see how Rock vs Asta is 5:5, either. Astaroth has better tools than him at like every range and in every situation.

What do you guys think of Rock v. Talim? My personal knowledge of this matchup is limited, but the general feeling amongst the Talim SA is that it's either even or possibly in slight favor of Talim. Just looking for some input if any of y'all have played this match.

Talim is normal, if you understand her movelist....most people don't know wtf she's doing.
SOme combos whiff vs her, that's a good adv that she has.

I think it should be even, maybe slightly in Rock's favour. If you know what to punish, you can get CH 6K all the time, and use things like 6B+K and 2B to cut down on stance transitions. OOF doesn't really play Talim much anymore, so it's been a fair bit of time since I had that matchup, I just remember that once I'd started to get over the initial shock of her constant movement things got much easier.

Not that I won more than him, since OOF is just much better than me. :X

Now Vader. Fuck that noise. As bad or worse than SK.

I find talim vs. Rock in Rock's favor. But that's because I know Talim. Note that Talim cannot close distance quickly without either jumping or coming in with a high. I use A and AA quite quite often at max distance. It's worked well for me. I also do not use Bullrush that often in this match-up, as there is no reason for me to run up to her. She'll come to me.

Well if you're getting 6K on CH it probably interrupted something as opposed to punishment. I don't know the fullest extent of Rock's spacing ability, so I can't say for sure how hard or how easy it is for her to get in and stay there. She could just run up and block I suppose.

But other than that, once she gets inside, (which she will eventually), she can interrupt him quite often. (At least the few times I've played a decent Rock I've seen this). Her 22K does a good job thwarting throw mixups as well as evading his more linear stuff. Her SG game ain't half bad either.

She TJs a lot so that might help her too in getting around his more damaging combos/mixups even if she gets hit out of the air.

What I mean, is you can use things like 6K (which is usually the best options) to interrupt her flow/stance dancing, and get CHs. She's rarely standing still.

ahh I see. well yeah, 6K does really well against most of her transitions. I guess bullrush would help for the ones that force crouch. Can't she jump over 6K with Windsault though?

Nope she can't, and when 6K hits air hit, ROck gets free 50/50 mixup.

By normal i mean it's neither easy nor hard. It's pretty even. Her 22K is troublesome at close range.....until Rock starts using 6AA. It's still a troublesome move though. I don't know why more Talims don't use it. Is it cuz it's high?

It is a high, but I love that move. I don't know why others don't use it really. It's almost an anti-mixup tool all by itself and it's got great recovery. Not to mention it closes the gap pretty quickly. 22K has a slight TC in the beginning frames so if timed right it should go under Rock's 6AA. But that timing is fairly strict.

Another thing I forgot to mention is iFC 3BB. It can interrupt/TC under just about everything Rock can do at close range, Of course you still have 6K and a few other moves to worry about, but it's still very useful from what I remember.

Eh, I guess I'm hoping for too much to say it's in her favor. I just thought that her speed, good step/8WR moves, and constant tech jumps would be more problematic. Even though I haven't had much trouble with the few Rocks I have faced, (using Talim anyway) 5:5 is probably the best way to go.

EDIT: I just tested it a few times in training mode and apparently Talim can jump over his 6K after a blocked transition with AS A+K. This doesn't always hit, but it'll just reset both characters positions.

If Rock uses 6K immediately trying to interrupt her, Talim can WL away from him (depending again on which transition he blocks) giving her a guaranteed 50+ damage combo. Rock can still hit her out of WL for CH but only if the timing is delayed.

She can also WC it to her right (Rock's left) and sometimes even gets a free back throw depending on the transition.

Even AS A+B and AS K interrupt it after 22B is blocked from farther than point blank range.

6K is looking like a bit of a gamble here. Rock can obviously wait for Talim to do a certain stance and punish her, but it's still kind of a guess sometimes.

On another note I must admit, Crouch Throwing Talim out of WL A is just awesome though.

What do you think about Rock vs. Tira ?

In my opinion it's a pretty balanced matchup since Tira can't outspace Rock easily and because of her problems to keep the pressure. But her big plus is that she's able to punish Rock for big damage, at least in GS.

5:5 for me.

Last time I played Rock vs Tira I remember having a hell of a time punishing her at mid range while she poked and prodded constantly. I'd probably give it to Tira, but I'd like to try it again first.

WS K is sooooooo linear :/
6K can be troublesome though, but Tira does so little damage outside GS combos, that's her biggest weakness. Rock also punishes some of her essentially 'safe' lows. I'd say 5/5 as well.

will update momentarily, just hold strain a lil bit

Back