Save Soul Calibur

Status
Not open for further replies.
My method is to raise the awareness of the poor turnouts that we as fans have when it come to tournaments that involve the game itself. I'm not going by gossip either. Everyone here has their opinion on the series and we, as fans need to come to a consensus. If you want to not even bother with it, then I won't. I love the series as well but I don't want to hear someone talk bad about it also.

There's no other weapon based fighting game like the Soul Calibur series. Peeps are aware of SCV and the series, but it's always out shined by the other stuff(Tekken and Street Fighter series for instance). With TTT2, DOA5, perhaps more FGs on their way, I know certain peeps are gonna drop SCV because of nostalgia or whatever. Some may return, some may migrate to the next best thing. Regardless, I'm one of the few that prefers to put more time into SCV than any other game.

As for why it's bashed, I'd say fuck them. Let them play in their own world, I'll play in mine. Keep supporting the series by contributing like in HRD's quote I quoted or do something more like make wallpapers, help out in frame data for peeps who want to learn whoever. Should the haters come to the 8wayrun, I'd welcome them and help them.

That's the the only way to save Soul Calibur. Just be there and keep doing you. Should you want to do more than that, try volunteering for help.

There's no other weapon based fighting game like the Soul Calibur series. Peeps are aware of SCV and the series, but it's always out shined by the other stuff(Tekken and Street Fighter series for instance). With TTT2, DOA5, perhaps more FGs on their way, I know certain peeps are gonna drop SCV because of nostalgia or whatever. Some may return, some may migrate to the next best thing. Regardless, I'm one of the few that prefers to put more time into SCV than any other game.

As for why it's bashed, I'd say fuck them. Let them play in their own world, I'll play in mine. Keep supporting the series by contributing like in HRD's quote I quoted or do something more like make wallpapers, help out in frame data for peeps who want to learn whoever. Should the haters come to the 8wayrun, I'd welcome them and help them.

That's the the only way to save Soul Calibur. Just be there and keep doing you. Should you want to do more than that, try volunteering for help.

It'll take more than me doing wallpapers to promote the campaign. I'm reaching out to other SC fans on various sites aside from Facebook. We live in the internet era and social media era and we need to continue to reach out to them. And yeah, there are people that are going to bash SC, this is just for SC fans to push forward and support the series! I can also take what HRD quoted and spread the word the old school way, too. Thanks for the encouragement and I should get involved more through volunteering.

I think this thread shows exactly what SC needs to be saved from...infighting and backbiting among the fans. and a lot of it coming from the competitive players. Few other competitive communities are so hostile to their casual/non-competitive members as this one seems to be. A plea to players to unite to keep SC going, and many posters are attacking (or at least rudely responding).
A bit about me: i am a hardcore, loyal fan who owns every game from Soul Blade to SC5 (except for broken destiny; I don't do portable gaming...too hard on my eyes). Except for SC and SC3, I bought the game on multiple platforms to support it. I love the series and it will always be special for me.
With this said, there are a number of problems with the series, and if they are not addressed, it is possible SC will not continue. While different sources cite different figures, the general consensus indicates SC5 has sold poorly compared to earlier versions or to competing fighters (MK 2011, SSF4, etc.). In a time when fighting games are making a comeback of sorts, with series like SF and MK re-inventing themselves and hitting big, Namco couldn't afford any missteps, yet they committed several.
One of the worst is the bare-bones single-player mode. There is nothing "noob" or "scrub" about wanting a $60 fighting game to contain an actual arcade mode; every fighter ever released has had one, and for veteran fans like me, it was critical for a long time until the series went online. Not everybody who buys the game wants to play in tournaments or online every time; sometimes it's nice to just play alone against the CPU, enjoy some actual character endings, unlock a few items, and improve your game before fighting online or against live buds. Not including a proper single player mode for SC5 was just plain laziness and poor decision making. MK 2011 proved a fighter can have a strong single-player experience and still be a competitive game.
Another slip-up is the loss of so many characters and no real explanation as to why. IMO it was a sexist attempt to pander to horny pubescent boys; how can one otherwise explain why, with few exceptions, the missing characters are all female? I feel Project Soul decided that, since SC5 picked up nearly 2 decades after SC4, that the women would be too old to be sexy, and were therefore dropped. Even worse, many of the fighting styles are missing, but there are 3 mimics. These things matter to fans, as evidenced by the poor word of mouth that this game received. Combined with Namco's lackluster marketing and promoting, this has resulted in a sales flop which has put the series' future in question. The game just received a price drop to $39.99; just 2 months after it was first released, it was temporarily marked down to $29.99 just to move some copies. This is a shame, since SC5 is really fun, looks great, and has what I feel is the best gameplay of the series.
In closing, I agree that we all, whether competitive, casual, or whatever label you choose, can help keep SC5 afloat and ensure a sequel. As many have said, organize tournaments, either online or live. Doesn't have to be huge, just a handful of people, but it will give people a chance to play who may not have picked the game up. Recommend the game to friends...hell, BUY them a copy if you can afford it; I bought it for my brother and for my nephews. And finally, enough with the infighting already!! Let dissatisfied players vent. Let casual gamers not feel intimidated for not having the skills as the competitive players. And realize the two groups need each other. The casual crowd has the #'s and the $$ to keep SC profitable. The competitive gamers are needed to build buzz and provide valuable input to developers on how to refine gameplay, which results in a more engrossing, satisfying, buyable game.

I think this thread shows exactly what SC needs to be saved from...infighting and backbiting among the fans. and a lot of it coming from the competitive players. Few other competitive communities are so hostile to their casual/non-competitive members as this one seems to be. A plea to players to unite to keep SC going, and many posters are attacking (or at least rudely responding).
A bit about me: i am a hardcore, loyal fan who owns every game from Soul Blade to SC5 (except for broken destiny; I don't do portable gaming...too hard on my eyes). Except for SC and SC3, I bought the game on multiple platforms to support it. I love the series and it will always be special for me.
With this said, there are a number of problems with the series, and if they are not addressed, it is possible SC will not continue. While different sources cite different figures, the general consensus indicates SC5 has sold poorly compared to earlier versions or to competing fighters (MK 2011, SSF4, etc.). In a time when fighting games are making a comeback of sorts, with series like SF and MK re-inventing themselves and hitting big, Namco couldn't afford any missteps, yet they committed several.
One of the worst is the bare-bones single-player mode. There is nothing "noob" or "scrub" about wanting a $60 fighting game to contain an actual arcade mode; every fighter ever released has had one, and for veteran fans like me, it was critical for a long time until the series went online. Not everybody who buys the game wants to play in tournaments or online every time; sometimes it's nice to just play alone against the CPU, enjoy some actual character endings, unlock a few items, and improve your game before fighting online or against live buds. Not including a proper single player mode for SC5 was just plain laziness and poor decision making. MK 2011 proved a fighter can have a strong single-player experience and still be a competitive game.
Another slip-up is the loss of so many characters and no real explanation as to why. IMO it was a sexist attempt to pander to horny pubescent boys; how can one otherwise explain why, with few exceptions, the missing characters are all female? I feel Project Soul decided that, since SC5 picked up nearly 2 decades after SC4, that the women would be too old to be sexy, and were therefore dropped. Even worse, many of the fighting styles are missing, but there are 3 mimics. These things matter to fans, as evidenced by the poor word of mouth that this game received. Combined with Namco's lackluster marketing and promoting, this has resulted in a sales flop which has put the series' future in question. The game just received a price drop to $39.99; just 2 months after it was first released, it was temporarily marked down to $29.99 just to move some copies. This is a shame, since SC5 is really fun, looks great, and has what I feel is the best gameplay of the series.
In closing, I agree that we all, whether competitive, casual, or whatever label you choose, can help keep SC5 afloat and ensure a sequel. As many have said, organize tournaments, either online or live. Doesn't have to be huge, just a handful of people, but it will give people a chance to play who may not have picked the game up. Recommend the game to friends...hell, BUY them a copy if you can afford it; I bought it for my brother and for my nephews. And finally, enough with the infighting already!! Let dissatisfied players vent. Let casual gamers not feel intimidated for not having the skills as the competitive players. And realize the two groups need each other. The casual crowd has the #'s and the $$ to keep SC profitable. The competitive gamers are needed to build buzz and provide valuable input to developers on how to refine gameplay, which results in a more engrossing, satisfying, buyable game.

well put.

I'm gonna have to agree with you here. The community is hugely divided and nobody is doing anything about it. However, it's easy to say "promote the game" or "organize tournaments", but it's not that simple. As a high school student, I am sad to see how most of the kids around me don't know about SC, many don't even play fighting games at all. And let's not even start about the "Video Game Club", or should I say "The Naruto and CoD Club". I think that if there ever is a sequel (and I hope there is), Namco is gonna have to spend much more time and money on satisfying all kinds of players, and invest a lot on advertising the game. This retarded favoritism of them with Tekken is just... well, retarded, considering that Tekken is even more unpopular and unknown to the general public nowadays.

Look, a petition is a collective request for a major figure or group to do something, e.g. "Capcom please release Birdie as a DLC character in SFxT". What you're suggesting is not a petition, but rather a hippie movement asking people to stop being themselves and like something because you do. What do you hope to accomplish?
I see what you did there

Rambling rant of encouragement...
I'm doing something about my community. Welcoming peeps in newbie forums, partaking in CAS, indulging myself in some hardcore stuff when not lazy, and working towards my personal issues in life(slowly reaching it) to get offline to finally flaunt my love for Soul Calibur series. These may seem small, but it gets bigger once my goals are met: To show that I love Soul Calibur and want them to improve to get more of my money.

And not giving a care about trends and what peeps think. That's merely preferences. Fuck that. Instead, I'm sad I can't go offline right now. But, I'm more sad at myself for not going out there and doing what needs to be done to get what I want.

Let me give you a rundown of an irrelevant yet relevant ish. A couple months back, I got hired from BK to be fired the next day. The manager said "I won't work" since I was just a newbie. At first I was torn for it was my very first job. But with emotional support from family, friends and all, I pick myself up and search for a job.

To get what you want, you have to go out and do it. Granted I'm jobless again, but I'm still charging hard to desperately get what I want. By finishing some college stuff and saving job money and all.

My dream is to wear a Yoshi mask, hold a replica of Yoshi's joke weapon, and flaunt my love to the series and character while playing offline in tournies to get recognized. I've never once stopped daydreaming about this silly dream of mine.

Sure reality and careers is more important, but to get this childish dream of playing offline, I'm gonna have to bust my butt. This may sound high and mighty from me with a hint of stepping on your toes, but no one is gonna give a fuck for Soul Calibur if you ain't doing shit.

Love Soul Calibur, love it harder, fuck it, and fuck it until SCV gives birth to a new one. How did you think MvsC3 was made? Or how did you think SCIV gave birth to SCV rather?

Formal complaints are nice, but with no action, peeps don't give a shit/ignore you.

Pardon my rude post, but I feel like I'm getting deja vu from a certain thread called: For those who complain about SCV.

I'm gonna have to agree with you here. The community is hugely divided and nobody is doing anything about it. However, it's easy to say "promote the game" or "organize tournaments", but it's not that simple. As a high school student, I am sad to see how most of the kids around me don't know about SC, many don't even play fighting games at all. And let's not even start about the "Video Game Club", or should I say "The Naruto and CoD Club". I think that if there ever is a sequel (and I hope there is), Namco is gonna have to spend much more time and money on satisfying all kinds of players, and invest a lot on advertising the game. This retarded favoritism of them with Tekken is just... well, retarded, considering that Tekken is even more unpopular and unknown to the general public nowadays.

yea, "video game" means "CoD" to too many people...when i was in junior high/ high school (i am in my late 20's now) it was different...all about games like GTA and God of War, but fighting games were still big too. nowdays, i gather up buds every couple of weeks, buy pizza and brew, jack them each for $5.00-$10.00, and play SC5 tourneys; winner gets the pot. pretty easy to get dudes to play for the chance to win some cash just for playing...quite a few of 'em bought the game just to practice. dudes are simple. offer beer, food, $$, and video games, and you can get 'em to do just about anything you want!! you're too young for beer, but maybe you could get a pool going like that? it's fun and i'm sure you will earn SC a few new fans...not to mention your pals' money ;)

I don't think this series can be saved, quite frankly. It just failed on too many levels. This game belongs in the trash bin.

HAHA save soul calibur....and damn I suck my friend....not really the best choice of words..I mean alot of people here are passionate about this game so saying something like this game is a failure or belongs in the trash this really isn't the best place to say that even tho it's your opinion. You wanna know what will save soul calibur? this community...you guys Have to ignore the negative stuff and just be positive and hang in there, We all agree that this game is very different compared to the other sc games, It may have changed alot and is surely lacking alot of modes but gotta keep the faith.

I know we all been hearing that alot of players have been dropping this game even some top players and even me, but was it namco's fault for leading us to drop the game? no it was our own faults for leaving...we simply could not accept the changes and overall chose not to adapt to this new sc. I admit it still bothers me for leaving and it shall for a long time but things just happen :/ Well im going to keep it short now overall..ignore all the negative stuff, keep top players in this game, Be positive, travel to offline events and if u can't well support it. Then at the end of the day sc will do just fine.

Game doesn't need saving. It needs better backing from Namco, it needs better marketing, it needs a bigger audience. The most you can do is support them by buying the DLC.

The only reason why anyone will still play this game is because of the competition, if someone has no interest in competition then they will not play this game. (sure a minority will play casually with the customization). Therefore you will feel there need to be online modes that aren't centered on competitive play.
I play for the story... what's that? only 2 hours of Gameplay! Welp... back to Call of Duty multiplayer for me
(Thought process for today's gamers)

HAHA save soul calibur....and damn I suck my friend....not really the best choice of words..I mean alot of people here are passionate about this game so saying something like this game is a failure or belongs in the trash this really isn't the best place to say that even tho it's your opinion. You wanna know what will save soul calibur? this community...you guys Have to ignore the negative stuff and just be positive and hang in there, We all agree that this game is very different compared to the other sc games, It may have changed alot and is surely lacking alot of modes but gotta keep the faith.

I know we all been hearing that alot of players have been dropping this game even some top players and even me, but was it namco's fault for leading us to drop the game? no it was our own faults for leaving...we simply could not accept the changes and overall chose not to adapt to this new sc. I admit it still bothers me for leaving and it shall for a long time but things just happen :/ Well im going to keep it short now overall..ignore all the negative stuff, keep top players in this game, Be positive, travel to offline events and if u can't well support it. Then at the end of the day sc will do just fine.

Thank you, Justin. Yes, it was our fault for leaving the series because we couldn't accept change but we also need to support the series by showing up to gaming events like EVO or watch online to show your support. This series and game needs are support more than ever otherwise there won't be no SC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back