SC Controversial Topics and General Shitposting Thread

Maxøh s2
gnu9xzwjv2m11.png

You know, Cassandra was intended to replace Sophitia. That's why she initially had the same color scheme and shared a lot of moves. She was a successor character, just like Yun-Seong was to Hwang, Natsu was to Taki , Xiba to Kilik, etc. ...

That said, I think she's one of the best successor characters in the series. A great mix of familiarity and new ideas.

But Namco fucked up by not actually having her (their best replacement character) actually replace Sophitia. I like Sophitia, but Cassandra really deserved to have the spotlight as the only Greek warrior lady in SoulCaliburs 2 - 4. That way, Sophitia's return in SC6 would actually feel hype. And Cassandra fans might be less upset about their character (maybe) missing two games in a row, since there's a precedent for having only one Greek warrior lady.

Alternatively, they fucked up by not including Hwang in SCs 2-4, but we all knew that already.

No.
Replacing characters is a terrible idea overall no matter what.
Er. Do you think Namco was wrong to create Maxi, Cassandra, and Yun-Seong? Since they were replacements for Li Long, Sophitia and Hwang?

But then again, Hwang was originally a Mitsu replacement. So Hwang and Yun-Seong both shouldn't exist?

Maybe you don't care about the lore or storyline, but it is really useful from a narrative perspective to have characters retire or die. And it often leads to some really creative reinterpretations of a fighting style.

Cassandra
As was said before she did end up as her own character together with Soph without "replacing" anyone. So she is more than fine.
Yun-Seong
Never liked him. I was disappointed when I seen that Hwang was replaced by him.
All right, Maxi is great, can't fight that. But this replacement is mainly okay because Li-Long wasn't really very memorable to begin with. Replacing well-liked/important character is always a bad thing.
Hwang was originally a Mitsu replacement
This is a little more complicated than other cases. "Replacing" in the context of this talk means "removing established character and putting somebody with similar fighting style instead", but in SE it wasn't like that. Hwang existed in a Korean verion, while Mitsu in all others. They kinda existed at the same time, while also "replacing" each other... in the same one game. Also this was the very first game in the series, you can't really call character "replaced" when it's the very first appearance for both (and they never existed in the alternate verion to their game). It's a weird thing, but it is not really the type of "replacement" that is discussed here.
And it often leads to some really creative reinterpretations of a fighting style.
Soph and Cass use the same weapon, but differently and both are playable at the same time (except for SCVI). Nothing stops such stuff from being done.

As was said before she did end up as her own character together with Soph without "replacing" anyone. So she is more than fine.
But they wouldn't have created Cassandra in the first place if Sophitia had been in SC2 at launch.

And as to your idea to only replace unpopular characters, popularity is really subjective. We're both fans of Hwang, but there's no denying that he wasn't as popular as the rest of the SE/SC cast.

I'm not saying I like seeing characters cut from the roster. I'd actually love to see Li Long return. But if the developers want to replace characters, I want them to do it right:
1. Not a clone
2. Not a permanent little sibling role

Many of the replacements ended up having unique personalities of their own, so they in essence shoved the old one out of the way.

Problem with Sophitia is she is popular and iconic enough on her own, so no need to replace her.

Please sirs and/or ma'ams, take your actual conversations debating the succession of roles/styles/hot pants to another thread, this is the shitposting thread.

1IfV22t.jpg

-

Now, who do you think the real losers are with SC6?

I think it's the scum of the earth Amyiola mains. She ain't makin' it, and if you played her in previous games you're a degenerate and deserve not to have her.

Paid for by the Bull Rush Committee.

Back