SC Controversial Topics and General Shitposting Thread

Mr Oak

[07] Duelist
Since our previous hub of debauchery and sin was locked, and a new thread for focused discussion is to be opened by the mods, I thought I'd open this thread to serve as a fresh start for people who frequented the previous thread, and to keep the 'off-topic' discussions quarantined.

As @Master_Thespian said, forbidding conversations kills forums, so long live the SC community!

General purpose of the thread is in the name, so have fun people.

So why does the question of genders of the characters matter so much? Is it an emotional investment into the stories of the characters themselves (like with strong female leads in movies), or is it a self insert deal where you, as the player, are visualizing yourself as, let’s say Tira, galavanting around killing people with the Hula Hoop from Hades?

Does the balance of males to females bother you guys?

Do you think this series crosses lines of decency with some of the racier costumes like Ivy’s mainstay purple leather straps?

Nice thread title breh.
mynicca1.png

What I don’t get is why the hell must everything about Soulcalibur be so controversial?
I think we're the problem and not the game, that's why we should keep our discussions away from normal folk Kappa

Great thread, nice to have a SC thread when can talk anything SC related without having some limitations in discussions, as soon as there is respect with each others of course.

Sooo... Soul Calibur Twitter is active again those last today, maybe it's a preparation for upcoming news and reveal that may come soon?

PS: The title of the thread is weird tho, should have just name it like "General SC6 discussion" or something

Last edited:
I don't personally understand why heated debates flare up from the gender stuff except if people actually make sexist comments (which did seem to occur eventually although I mostly tuned out of that conversation).

Personally I don't like the idea of changing the genders of existing characters because they're already established, unless you're aiming for some kind of transgender plot which seems unlikely for the time period, although Maxi could apparently be gay so who knows, lol. Having struggled with gender identity issues my whole life, I wouldn't mind seeing this topic explored if done right, but I don't think Soulcalibur is the right fit for it. I guess if this Maxi thing turns out to be true, I'll judge after I've seen how they handle it.

As for the actual male to female ratio, I see both sides of most of the arguments on here but don't really have much of an opinion myself. I'd happily just see the roster be 50/50 and be done with it, or 65/35 at most (in favor of either side), as long as there's a nice blend of both and as long as neither side are stereotyped too much, though I do think Soul Calibur tends to oversexualize it's women a little which can get a little eye-rolly (call me frigid but I'm not really interested in seeing boobs and butts jiggling everywhere) but I'm not against it per-say either, it's just kinda there.

I don't personally understand why heated debates flare up from the gender stuff except if people actually make sexist comments (which did seem to occur eventually although I mostly tuned out of that conversation).

Personally I don't like the idea of changing the genders of existing characters because they're already established, unless you're aiming for some kind of transgender plot which seems unlikely for the time period, although Maxi could apparently be gay so who knows, lol. Having struggled with gender identity issues my whole life, I wouldn't mind seeing this topic explored if done right, but I don't think Soulcalibur is the right fit for it. I guess if this Maxi thing turns out to be true, I'll judge after I've seen how they handle it.

As for the actual male to female ratio, I see both sides of most of the arguments on here but don't really have much of an opinion myself. I'd happily just see the roster be 50/50 and be done with it, or 65/35 at most (in favor of either side), as long as there's a nice blend of both and as long as neither side are stereotyped too much, though I do think Soul Calibur tends to oversexualize it's women a little which can get a little eye-rolly (call me frigid but I'm not really interested in seeing boobs and butts jiggling everywhere) but I'm not against it per-say either, it's just kinda there.
Yeah I guess if nothing seems forced it would turn out well. A lot of people praise how Fallout New Vegas handled this with Veronica and Arcade, how they were both gay but it wasn't part of their identity and the way in which they tell it to you seems so natural and organic.

I guess as close to a 50/50 split as possible is ideal but I don't really mind either way.

I'd love a male version of Ivy actually! A hairy leather dominant man for Voldo! :D

Here's a question I'd like to put before the thread:

How would you react if your favorite character wasn't in SoulCalibur VI? Would it completely kill your hype?

How would you react if your favorite character wasn't in SoulCalibur VI? Would it completely kill your hype?
Just going by how bad Maxi was in SCIV, I'd say it does hurt one's enjoyment of a game if they can't really play it how they'd like.

I personally get super attached to my characters, it takes a lot for me to fall in love with a character but when I do I don't want to play anyone else. I'm glad Tira was leaked and I hope she's in the main game rather than DLC, if she wasn't then I still have Mitsu, Ivy, Raph (I hope he's better in SC6), and I want to try Voldo this time around and Cassie too, if she's in.

I guess not having a female Ninja would really hurt my hype as i like the style so much.
Hopefully not likely as Taki seems very probable because reboot.
Even if, i'd still enjoy it, as oh_my_foot said, there are many awesome styles, i'd still miss Ninjas tho.
Also i think Ave's request to have at least 8 women for an all girl team for team battle is completely legit.
Oh and i really hope team battle does make a return, please Namco, make it so!

It would significantly dampen my hype, not enough to deter me from the game since I play more than 1 character and the ones I do play are main stayers.
Just going by how bad Maxi was in SCIV, I'd say it does hurt one's enjoyment of a game if they can't really play it how they'd like.
How bad was Maxi in IV?

As an Ivy main since Soulcalibur II, it would definitely dampen my spirits but in the past I've had my eye on a few secondary characters here and there, so I would imagine that I'd gravitate towards them again. Sophitia and Misturugi already look amazing to play as, imagine what the rest of the cast must be like!

I'd see. If they give us (me) a good trade for the lack of Raphael, I'd consider. Otherwise, I think that would probably kill the hype.

It already happened before. It bothered me & i bitched a lot about it, but i still played SCV nonetheless 'cause it's more than just a single character. I love the SC franchise as a whole. I find myself atm ready for whatever outcome there is with this new game. Even if my favorite character gets cut again, i'll still get this new game, support it and play it 'til SCVII's announcement. I'll be annoyed, but i'll be happy that i'm finally getting SCVI after waiting 6 years.

Back