SC Controversial Topics and General Shitposting Thread

Oh yeah, nothing emo about Dante...

= = = -- = =
Face with Rolling Eyes on OpenMoji 12.3

I think Kayane’s been playing more 2B than Xianghua at this point.
I know, and it kills me inside. I always saw Kayane as an expy for myself if I were to go on the pro circuit, and felt (still feel) like Xianghua isn't appreciated as much as she could/should be. She can be excessively mean and tricky when played properly, but she really doesn't tend to see that much high level play. Not that I'm saying I myself am high level, since I've never gone past locals in tournaments, nor do I aspire to, but I've won more than my fair share with Xianghua at my disposal. Her whole dancelike approach to the fight has always flowed well with me, and probably is the most fun of all the characters I play, if I was pushed and shoved to have to say who my main was, it'd definitely be Xianghua, though I don't commit to her and only her, so I can't really make that claim, at the same time, since I also play so many other different characters. Edge Master (In My Mind) really is the title that best suits me, since that's really my favorite way to play, as a mimic, changing styles each round, to show off my well-roundedness, but I've still probably devoted the most time to Xianghua overall throughout all the games.

Wow, things have changed. She was once regarded as S-tier, wasn't she? For SCII? Or was it the one before?
I don't know about S-tier necessarily, but she was considered a strong choice all the way from SCI-SCIV, yes. My memory begins to fade a bit on these details, but as best I can recall, her perceived strength relative to the rest of the roster peaked around IV, where she was considered one of the top characters (without a doom combo, anyway!).

Yes, Xianghua was typically regarded as high tier from her introduction through SoulCalibur IV, but she's really being slept on for SoulCalibur VI, and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because she's not flashy enough, but she's still got mostly all of the tools she's ever had, but the problem (for lack of a better word) with SoulCalibur VI is that every character's power levels are through the roof, with rare exception, and so the flashy eyecatchy ones are the ones who see the most play, it seems like. I haven't seen specific reasoning pointing out how/why Xianghua is bad, but she's always rated C or below on most tier lists I see, and I just don't understand. She hasn't been nerfed that badly, not like Talim was from SoulCalibur II moving into SoulCalibur III-IV, and she's certainly no pre-SoulCalibur VI Seong Mi-na either.. She's still definitely at least B, if not A in the right hands, from my perspective anyway. To me, she feels like she did in SoulCalbur IV, except the game isn't slow as molasses anymore, so she's more suitable for the environment.

Yes, Xianghua was typically regarded as high tier from her introduction through SoulCalibur IV, but she's really being slept on for SoulCalibur VI, and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because she's not flashy enough, but she's still got mostly all of the tools she's ever had, but the problem (for lack of a better word) with SoulCalibur VI is that every character's power levels are through the roof, with rare exception, and so the flashy eyecatchy ones are the ones who see the most play, it seems like. I haven't seen specific reasoning pointing out how/why Xianghua is bad, but she's always rated C or below on most tier lists I see, and I just don't understand. She hasn't been nerfed that badly, not like Talim was from SoulCalibur II moving into SoulCalibur III-IV, and she's certainly no pre-SoulCalibur VI Seong Mi-na either.. She's still definitely at least B, if not A in the right hands, from my perspective anyway. To me, she feels like she did in SoulCalbur IV, except the game isn't slow as molasses anymore, so she's more suitable for the environment.
I’d say Xianghua isn’t being given enough attention either. She has a lot of frame traps, pokes, ridiculous launchers, a good amount of auto GIs, and one of the best CEs in the whole game. I will say that she gives No Rose Amy a run for her money in terms of crappiest damage in SCVI and her Soul Charge is among the worst in the game. Plus, she doesn’t really have the best tools to combat zoning and spacing, with Mina in particular giving her a troublesome time. Other than that, she’s honestly pretty good. Hell, she certainly has it better off than Kilik and Astaroth at this point. I’d rate her a high B to low A.

Last edited:
As a pragmatic matter, I can see her relatively low damage output as being a bit of an uphill battle for her, but I guess for me personally, I just take that as being able to hit my opponent more often and use more of her moves, so I don't really see it as an issue. Her mixup game is as strong as ever, and her core is still quite able to carve unpredictability into your opponent, so... she does what she's always done best, so I don't see a big issue. Her Soul Charge is pretty weak, but I always want to use her Critical Edge as often as I possibly can, because it just really is that good, so that's also not a huge concern. Though it does limit her meter usage a bit, I can see that as being a "negative" in a way, since using Soul Charge as a "get off me" maneuver or even using her Soul Attack could be seen as being wasteful of meter. If things are going well, the spacing/zoning thing isn't a super big issue, from my experience, but let's be real, Mi-na is pretty annoying to a good amount of everyone, not just Xianghua.

Put another way, I guess you could say I still like Xianghua for staying pretty pure to her past incarnations, without falling prey to the gimmicks gambit. Sophitia is similar, in this regard, and she doesn't get a lot of love either. Mitsurugi didn't have a lot of gimmick either until season two gave him Shura Blade, but even that's pretty tame. I have a lot of respect for these styles, though, for keeping things simple. If only the gimmicks weren't running the game, I think I'd like it a lot more, as it's one of the more pervasive things that's keeping me from loving SoulCalibur VI, though I guess it seems like this is a minority opinion, at least some of the time.

Wow, things have changed. She was once regarded as S-tier, wasn't she? For SCII? Or was it the one before?

Xianghua was S Tier in SCI - SCIII. X got nerfed SCIII: AE, but was still pretty strong. Meanwhile Setsuka got buffed in SCIII: AE to control her aGI to get 1/2 life combos after 2 JIs. Then in SCIV, every character from SCIII was nerfed. SCIV X was good & wasn't as dominate as she was in SCII & III. SCVI Xianghua was OP in different versions of SCVI. SCVI Beta ~ 1.10, X's 9K was very strong on Sophie & Azwel for SXS K to relaunch for great RO potential. In SCVI 1.11 X's 9K wasn't good anymore, but X still got 90 DMG combos when aGIng any low. However when X fought Talim & Amy in Season 1 she could use 6(B+K) combos on them after a 6A+B aGI LH. Then at the beginning of SCVI S2, if X got the opponent in a back turn state her Soul Attack could get about 1/2 life with force block DMG. Then, in SCVI 2.10, Xianghua's 66BB had better tracking to make it combo into 6A+B aGI LH again because it had problems at the beginning of SCVI S2 because the 6A+B LH became +20 instead of +22 like in the SCVI Beta & S1. In SCVI S1, the low mixup after 6A+B aGI LH ~ 66BB wasn't guaranteed, but in SCVI S2 broken throws do 10 DMG. That means when some counters X's throw mixup they still take DMG. This buffed Xianghua like crazy making her very cheesy in SCVI S2. At least you can avoid Setsuka's cheesy normals(Easier Versions of Setsuka's JF's) if your skilled enough, but X's cheese is grilled into the Break a Throw get 10 DMG with that SCVI S2 change.

i hate it when people steal my ideas for my future CAS like that guy did Gongsun Li and Nezuko CAS

meant i can't re-create them and upload them in my thread

sorry, i'm now mad and do me a favor..

stopobsessaboutsetsuka.png

i hate it when people steal my ideas for my future CAS like that guy did Gongsun Li and Nezuko CAS
I’ve said as much to you before, but it seems like it bears repeating. There is no such rule that states that more than one person can’t create the same character and/or design. As such, no one is “stealing” from you by posting something you plan to post before you post it yourself. Everyone is entitled to their own designs and interpretations, and everyone also has their own approach and style to making characters and/or designs. So even if someone else has made a character and/or design, you are still able (and I would argue, encouraged!) to post your own version so that we can see your take on the ideas in question.

Back