SC6 Tier list for Season 2

I dont see Groh on Twitch, I dont see Groh on Youtube, I dont see Groh online, I dont see Groh on tournaments.
IMHO he should not be on this list
But he is a character that is a part of the game. Just because he has a small playerbase doesn’t mean he deserves to be excluded from the tier list.

I dont see Groh on Twitch, I dont see Groh on Youtube, I dont see Groh online, I dont see Groh on tournaments.
IMHO he should not be on this list

Poor Groh.

I main him and like him but once you know the matchup, is uphill without meter.

He is lots of fun but competitively, he is just a little short.

Probably this is it for me, before there comes a new balance patch.

Top Tier: Cervantes, Ivy, Mina, Siegfried, Azwel, Talim, Raphael, Zasalamel, Sophitia, Mitsurugi

High Tier: Yoshimitsu, Maxi, Astaroth, Amy, Xianghua, Cassandra, Hilde, Geralt, Taki

Mid Tier: Voldo, 2B, Nightmare, Kilik

Lower Mid: Tira

Low Tier: Groh

Last edited:
I guess I may as well make mine from best to worst (in no particular order).

S: Zasalamel, Maxi, Seong-Mi-Na, Cassandra, Ivy, Amy

A: Raphael, Azwel, Mitsurugi, Xianghua, Sophitia, Siegfried, Yoshimitsu, Geralt, 2B, Kilik

B: Talim, Astaroth, Cervantes, Nightmare, Taki, Voldo, Tira, Groh, , Hilde

C: No one because every character is viable.

My opinion may change over time...

Last edited:

A: Raphael, Azwel, Mitsurugi, Xianghua, Sophitia, Siegfried, Yoshimitsu, Geralt, 2B, Kilik

B: Talim, Astaroth, Cervantes, Nightmare, Voldo, Tira, Groh, Taki, Hilde

Your opinion most likely will change, maybe even soon. One day, you will fight a character and realise that they're more/less stupid than you thought. Any character can get away with some bullshit so it can happen quickly. But speaking of 'getting away with BS', I now feel like Geralt is the character who can do the least stupid things. I considered Nightmare the worst a while ago, but he can spam ag:A's, low grabs and 6B/6K/6A to armour his way through things. His whiff punishes also hurt and his Terror Charge & Soul Charge are good. Similarly, an Astaroth that spams grabs and hits you with 22B a few times (especially if it's a lethal hit) is probably more threatening than Geralt who just feels average overall to me. So my tier list looks like this now:

S: Maxi, Amy, Zasalamel, Ivy, Seong Mi-na, Cassandra
A: Raphael, Mitsurugi, Sophitia, Yoshimitsu, Xianghua, Azwel, Siegfried, Kilik
B: Grøh, Talim, Voldo, Tira, Cervantes, Nightmare, Astaroth, Taki, 2B, Hilde, Geralt

And it will inevitably change in the future. Not that it really matters, but it's satisfying to make and update your own tier list.

Last edited:
My serious tier list is this

Inferno!!!!
Whatever characters win EVO, Final Round, etc.
Everyone else that didn't win EVO, Final Round, etc.

Burn all tier lists down with Inferno! Be the flame that defies fate!!!!11!

Inferno!!!!

Hahaha... eyeroll

This is a serious thread.

If you want to spam, go somewhere else.

Inferno!!!!

I think that post would have been better suited for the shitposting thread. No offense.

Hahaha... eyeroll

This is a serious thread.

If you want to spam, go somewhere else.
Up yours, fellow good 8wayrunner. =)
Mine IMHO:

Top Tier: Ivy, Cervantes, Siegfried, Azwel, Mitsurugi, Mina, Raphael, Xianghua

High Tier: Yoshimitsu, Zasalamel, Astaroth, Voldo, Geralt, Cassandra, 2B, Sophitia, Maxi, Amy

Mid Tier: Nightmare, Kilik, Taki, Hilde, Talim

Lower Mid: Groh

Low Tier: Tira
Bare in mind I'm new to SCVI(I have a life like you do). So my questions and reasoning is limited to that of a scrub trying to learn here.

Groh can't possibly be that low. You're gonna have to educate me on that. I refuse to believe that he comes up that short. That's like me saying Yoshi(who is my main), comes up short.

Tira can't possibly be that low either. Why? I reckon the stance thing maybe, but I need to hear it buddy.

B: Talim, Astaroth, Cervantes, Nightmare, Voldo, Tira, Groh, Taki, Hilde

Off topic: I just need to get this off my chest. You eerily remind me of how civil, pedantic, and last of all wish-washy(something I rather loathe because you won't get anywhere in life being that way) of how I used to be. It's almost like you're trying to be what people are saying at the cost of your heart. Sometimes I often wonder do you hold back what you're really trying to say? Or am I reading too much into this?

On topic: Zas being that high? You're gonna have to elaborate on that. Why is he high? I'm likely to believe every character is viable, but this is new.

Directed at any of you 8wayrunners I say this:

I'm surprised just how my other mains Mina and Xianghua are rather solid. Mina I could kind of see why, but Xianghua? Does Xianghua have something noteworthy to be up there?

Also since I'm a Yoshimitsu main, what's your opinion overall on him?

Last edited:
@Pocky-Yoshi Xianghua's stance mixups are very good in season 2. Aside from that, she always had very good aGI's and has one of the best CE's in the game, and her ring out game is good. She also has one of the better launchers in FC 3B which is safe on block and comes out rather quickly.

Yoshimitsu has some of the best lows in the game (FC 3K & SC DGF KA) which makes his mixups threatening, he's oppressive in close range with a bunch of + frame moves, has good jump attacks (especially Jump K), is a strong punisher and has a good ring out game. His Soul Charge is good as well. But he does suffer from lack of range and can't block punish certain moves like Nightmare/Siegfried 22B and he needs meter to be used at full potential. And his Soul Charge time decreases quickly when going for Dragonfly mixups.

I did notice that Crash X's tier list is similar to the tier list versions I posted. I don't know why, but hopefully it's just a coincidence. Since I placed Zasalamel in S tier myself, I'll give my own answer: he has always been that strong from the beginning. His ring out game is stupidly good. One mistake means you're dead, you can't even tell which grab to break when his back is towards the edge since they will have the same animation. The character is not fun to fight on ring out stages. But he's even strong on walled stages only because he has great horizontals, good counter hits, some mixups that you have to respect and some of his best moves guarantee a curse. The risk-reward is in his favour. Season 2 gave him 214B+K which is quite ridiculous because it's a fast break attack that is + on block, guarantees a curse on hit and if you duck the high portion of the move, it's practically impossible to whiff punish on reaction. He has a good Soul Charge and CE, with the CE becoming even better after curses. Also has an annoying RE that sometimes catches you sidestepping and he can now cancel it and potentially hit you after placing a curse.

Up yours, fellow good 8wayrunner. =)

Bare in mind I'm new to SCVI(I have a life like you do). So my questions and reasoning is limited to that of a scrub trying to learn here.

Groh can't possibly be that low. You're gonna have to educate me on that. I refuse to believe that he comes up that short. That's like me saying Yoshi(who is my main), comes up short.

Tira can't possibly be that low either. Why? I reckon the stance thing maybe, but I need to hear it buddy.

Off topic: I just need to get this off my chest. You eerily remind me of how civil, pedantic, and last of all wish-washy(something I rather loathe because you won't get anywhere in life being that way) of how I used to be. It's almost like you're trying to be what people are saying at the cost of your heart. Sometimes I often wonder do you hold back what you're really trying to say? Or am I reading too much into this?

On topic: Zas being that high? You're gonna have to elaborate on that. Why is he high? I'm likely to believe every character is viable, but this is new.

Directed at any of you 8wayrunners I say this:

I'm surprised just how my other mains Mina and Xianghua are rather solid. Mina I could kind of see why, but Xianghua? Does Xianghua have something noteworthy to be up there?

Also since I'm a Yoshimitsu main, what's your opinion overall on him?

Groh mixups aren't that scary outside of SC, therefore, there isn't lots of reasons to block low against him. His only useable lows are 1A because of it's range (and in SC, the extension) , 1B and 3 A+B. Avenger A, 2A+B and 1K are all seeable. Groh also has the worst throw range of all characters which obviously doesn't help him. He has decent range and good armor break capabilities but again, Standing G is not Groh's friend. In Soul Charge, he can go wild unga bunga, but again, you need meter and there are better options for characters without the use of meter to be effective.

Tira is just inconsistent. Her lack of control in state flows definitely is a factor in her ranking and besides the things that are good tools in Gloomy, take her life away which is always a negative. She has good damage tools and a decent SC (with an unescapable grab) but in a huge damage game like this in which there is chipping damage to boot, Tira suffers. Her mixups aren't that great eaither. FC3A is short, 1A and 1K are seeable, Jolly 236K is seeable as well. Only Gloomy 1K and Jolly 1B are good lows so there is again the Groh problem with Tira but unlike Groh, at least Tira has good throw range to work with.

I’m sorry, but did you just try to take a stab at me?
On topic: Zas being that high? You're gonna have to elaborate on that. Why is he high? I'm likely to believe every character is viable
Basically everything that Apoc said. He’s got a tool for everything. Punishment, frame traps, spacing, CE, Soul Charge, spacing, ROs, you name it, Zas has it. And he’s only gotten even better through all these updates.

Groh mixups aren't that scary outside of SC, therefore, there isn't lots of reasons to block low against him. His only useable lows are 1A because of it's range (and in SC, the extension) , 1B and 3 A+B. Avenger A, 2A+B and 1K are all seeable. Groh also has the worst throw range of all characters which obviously doesn't help him. He has decent range and good armor break capabilities but again, Standing G is not Groh's friend. In Soul Charge, he can go wild unga bunga, but again, you need meter and there are better options for characters without the use of meter to be effective.

Tira is just inconsistent. Her lack of control in state flows definitely is a factor in her ranking and besides the things that are good tools in Gloomy, take her life away which is always a negative. She has good damage tools and a decent SC (with an unescapable grab) but in a huge damage game like this in which there is chipping damage to boot, Tira suffers. Her mixups aren't that great eaither. FC3A is short, 1A and 1K are seeable, Jolly 236K is seeable as well. Only Gloomy 1K and Jolly 1B are good lows so there is again the Groh problem with Tira but unlike Groh, at least Tira has good throw range to work with.
That'll suffice for now. Thank you.
Why are people putting Maxi at S?
I believe you know Maxi enough to explain where he's at on tier lists. Also good to see you.

I’m sorry, but did you just try to take a stab at me?

Basically everything that Apoc said. He’s got a tool for everything. Punishment, frame traps, spacing, CE, Soul Charge, spacing, ROs, you name it, Zas has it. And he’s only gotten even better through all these updates.
For the off-topic thing. Don't dawdle, just answer. You wouldn't dawdle responding to a girl who says she loves you with "did you just say you love me?" You'd take charge. I ain't just taking a stab, I'm demanding to know who are you. That's all there is to it, 8wayrunner. You can answer it here, PMs, profile posts, on a rock, etc.

On topic wise, you're agreeing with Apoc. That would suffice if I fought enough good Zas, but I need good explanation like how Angrel explained. Why does he have good punishment? What tools make him good at whatever? What's your knowledge on him, 8wayrunner? Or are you agreeing because you're a bootlicker to good pros opinion?

And again I'm taking a stab because I just am. It ain't anything personal....unless you think it is.

Hungry for attention wise
All in all, where's my boy Yoshi at on the list? What makes Xianghua deadly enough to be on top tier? Why am I happy Mina is actually decent for once(don't answer this question)? I've living been living under a rock, and my soul desires to know the current so I can learn more. To be the best scrub there ever was.

I believe you know Maxi enough to explain where he's at on tier lists. Also good to see you.
I'm interested if there's any reasoning behind their placements or if they're just repeating what Thermidior said on Twitter.

Because I don't see Maxi as S at all.

I'm interested if there's any reasoning behind their placements or if they're just repeating what Thermidior said on Twitter.

Because I don't see Maxi as S at all.
I'm a scrub living under a rock, but I don't find him THAT deadly. Perhaps Maxi is a character that is finally exploiting them due to ________ reason? I wouldn't know. I do ask can you share your thoughts?

I'm a scrub living under a rock, but I don't find him THAT deadly. Perhaps Maxi is a character that is finally exploiting them due to ________ reason? I wouldn't know. I do ask can you share your thoughts?
I think the most important addition was giving Maxi a break attack out of Neutral Guard (B+K in stance) Before people could simply reGI to stuff every option out of the stance unless Maxi had a full bar. That strengthened his NG game a lot.

Maxi's gotten recent buffs to his 7 Star Rebirth buff state. His LIB becomes a break attack, and it's +2 (damage boost as well on hit), His ROK becomes a break attack and is +6 on block (gains a damage boost as well). Coupled with his RCB being +10 on block now, buffed LIB becomes rather strong. His CE also gains 10 points more damage.

He also has Heaven's Guard out of stance as long as he has a half bar of meter. It's a RI, so it'll repel EVERYTHING and he almost always gets a free HGA lethal hit. Handy for tearing through someone attempting to soul charge out of pressure.

People tend to freak out over Heaven's guard. Thing is, Maxi has to have meter, he has to be in stance, and he either has to set up a must respond situation or make a read to actually make HG work. All the other person has to do is use a slow attack, or just do nothing. Then Maxi's burned half a bar, and potentially surrendered advantage.

It plugs some holes in Maxi's game, but those holes are still there, and HG doesn't really reflect any greater counterplay than what anyone can do with RI aside from the LHA. Which with just half a bar nets Maxi 62 damage. Maxi needs a bar and a half to combo with a CE for serious damage.

So he's gotten some good stuff. But, I think that puts him around A tier, not S tier, and that will probably level down once the meta develops further since Maxi tends to suffer the most from people figuring him out.

Heaven's guard is beatable, but the risk-reward for that move is so lopsided, it's not even funny. It beating every attack except delayed ones and guaranteeing a hit afterwards is stupid. Even more so when most characters can't do any guaranteed hits after a RI. If you do nothing, Maxi gets to continue pressuring you with stance mixups. If he interrupts your delayed move with attack buttons, you suffer a lot of damage because his counter hits are strong and you're dead if your back is against the edge. Just the existence of that damn move alone makes you want to hesitate attacking him. Most of the time, Maxi will have enough meter to do it because getting meter isn't difficult and he can easily create setups for it. He gets half of the meter he spent to RI back after lethal hitting. The fact that he can easily beat Soul Charge activations as well makes it even more ridiculous. The biggest problem is that the aGI window is absurdly wide just like Neutral Guard while also beating almost everything. It's simply overpowered.

His Seven Stars Severance buffs aren't nearly as ridiculous as Heaven's guard, but are also good buffs that Maxi was blessed with even though they weren't necessary. He was a strong character from the beginning. In season 1, some attacks like 2K beat both of his aGI's, but Maxi could beat that by attacking instead of aGI'ing. He always had the options to beat everything, now he has one more option in Heaven's guard that is even less risky. He already had strong counter hits, mixups you have to respect, low-risk moves with high reward like 6A and 3B, a strong soul charge, a good CE and the best mid in the game (6A+B). He might have been A tier in season 1, but he's easily S tier now. His 2A+B is also annoying to block when there is online lag. No, Maxi doesn't really suffer from people figuring him out because as I said, he has options to deal with everything so he will always be a threat. The character is stupid. And I'm not copying anyone's opinions or tier lists.

Last edited:
If Maxi chooses to attack after whiffing a heaven's guard, his options are kinda weak. GHA isn't scary at all without the LH. HGK can be nice but it's kinda slow. HG B+K is definitely too slow to deal with a delayed attack. HG B kinda sucks.

Thanks Apoc. That'll suffice. I didn't see your post initially because I was tired, impatient, and tunnel-visioned from work.

@Crash X Apologies for my rudeness for the on topic, but I await the off-topic thing. We'll do it in PMs, profile posts etc comrade.

Back