SCIV Ivy General Discussion & FAQ

There's nothing you should apologize for ;) Take a look at the combo list here: http://8wayrun.com/threads/ivy-combos.26/

The only guaranteed combos involving the 5hit JF are:

- SE B:6B:4B:6B:4B, [G]9B (72 dmg)
- WP 3B, SE B:6B:4B:6B:4B (42 dmg) - note that WP 3B, SE BBB is 40 dmg so only 2pts of damage difference.
- CH WP 3B, SE K, SE B:6B:4B:6B:4B (66 dmg)
- CH SW 44A, CL 4B, SE B:6B:4B:6B:4B (84dmg) - this is the best looking combo you will find with 5 Hit JF IMO
- CH SE K, SE B:6B:4B:6B:4B (58 dmg)

Ok thanks for the advice!:)))

Don't give up; once you have learnt to use Ivy well, you will be rewarded. Trust me.

The big trick is to not try to learn everything at once. All fighting games can be a lot of work if you try to do everything at once. With Ivy maybe learn one stance at a time. CL and WP are more technical than SW which is very straight forward. Also do not feel like you need to learn her throws immediately either they take awhile to master and even longer to figure out when to use them, but you can do fine without them. Learn SW mode and make her a simple character and build on that.

Oh, it's been a long time since I played this game hehe.
I have to learn the basics again and all that.

I am curious, which combos can you recommend for a Ivy "beginner" like me?
I am not the biggest combo noob tho, I play Street Fighter 4 from time to time and the combos there require strict timing too and I can do most of them pretty good.
But I know this is a 3d game, so it's different. ^^

Oh, it's been a long time since I played this game hehe.
I have to learn the basics again and all that.

I am curious, which combos can you recommend for a Ivy "beginner" like me?
I am not the biggest combo noob tho, I play Street Fighter 4 from time to time and the combos there require strict timing too and I can do most of them pretty good.
But I know this is a 3d game, so it's different. ^^

Apart from a few exceptions, Ivy's combos aren't difficult to perform, it's just that there are many of them and they involve many stance transitions. Take a look here for a complete combo list: http://8wayrun.com/threads/ivy-combos.26/

Almost every combo starter has at least 2 options for a guaranteed followup, some are easier, some harder but generally it's nothing terribly difficult with the exception of 5 hit JF combos ;)

I'll put something down on each stance like this to get started...mite endup in a big post.

Natural Combos:
SW 6[ B] (If they dont shake, followup with Counterhit 3B combo below)
SW 3A> 1KB
SW 1/2/3B+K >1/2/3B+K (for range).
CL 1BB+K. (Button map A+B+K and hold it to stay in CL)
CL A+B,A+K> WP 66A+B
WP 66B > CL1BB+K> 236BB or SW 214K.

Lows:
SW 22K>214K
CL 1A (Counterhit) > CL 4B> CL 236BB or SW 214K
WP 1B>[A] 1_2B+K> CL 4B> CL 236BB or SW 214K
WP 1B>[A] 1_2B+K> [A]3B+K ringout.

Sidestep:
SW 22_88B>214K or 6B8
CL 33_99BBBBB or A+B,A+K combo.
WP 22_88B>CL 4B> CL 236BB or SW 214K

Great Counter-hit starter combos:
All stance: 9gB > SW214K or CL 236BB
SW 6[ B]> 3B combo.
SW 3B> CL 4B> 236BB or SW 214K
SW 66A >1KB
SW 66K > CL 236BB or SW 2B+K
CL WS AA> 236BB or SW 44K
CL 3A> 236BB or SW 214K
WP 3A> CL 236BB or CL 1B[B+K]> SW 214K
WP 3B+K> CL 4B > SW 214K.

Frametraps:
SW 3B>1K
CL 3BBBBB>1K or 6[ B]
WP 3[ B]> K

Note: CL 236BB4 puts Ivy far or 6 close.

The link Ring posted is more complete...I list these just bcos these are generally more stapled. Have fun.

Sigh...looking back at the way she was in IV, one enjoyed she has good natural starters lol. prays SCV. >.>

zzzzzz like 2 yrs lol.
sw 3a is online ivy. i just post it bos its a natural combo not necessarily staple lol.
wp 66b combo needs wp 3a for cl 236bb.
cl 3a steppable to one side and no pushback. ng.

thx ring

zzzzzz like 2 yrs lol.
sw 3a is online ivy. i just post it bos its a natural combo not necessarily staple lol.
wp 66b combo needs wp 3a for cl 236bb.
cl 3a steppable to one side and no pushback. ng.

thx ring

What I meant was that SW 3A is shakable and CL 3A into CL236BB is a techtrap, it's not a combo. Same for WP 66B, CL1BB+K, 236BB :) The rest is fine, though!

Apart from a few exceptions, Ivy's combos aren't difficult to perform, it's just that there are many of them and they involve many stance transitions. Take a look here for a complete combo list: http://8wayrun.com/threads/ivy-combos.26/

Almost every combo starter has at least 2 options for a guaranteed followup, some are easier, some harder but generally it's nothing terribly difficult with the exception of 5 hit JF combos ;)

Ok yeah I started to discover some combos by myself yesterday. And I also practised stance transitions (started in WP and switched to CL after the last move). That is a stance transition right? When I press B+K or A+K (for the other direction) during a move for example?

And big thanks for the combo list. I should have opened my eyes earlier. >_>^^

I'll put something down on each stance like this to get started...mite endup in a big

The link Ring posted is more complete...I list these just bcos these are generally more stapled. Have fun.

Sigh...looking back at the way she was in IV, one enjoyed she has good natural starters lol. prays SCV. >.>

Wow, that's a lot. Thank you I will check this and Ring's link out. :)

Ok yeah I started to discover some combos by myself yesterday. And I also practised stance transitions (started in WP and switched to CL after the last move). That is a stance transition right? When I press B+K or A+K (for the other direction) during a move for example?

Yes, exactly.

Personally I see it like this:

SE <--> SW <--> CL <-->WP

A+K-------------------------->
<---------------------------B+K

Pressing A+K will move you to the right direction, and B+K to the left. So for example, if you are in Sword State, pressing A+K will move you to Coiled, and then to Whip State. B+K will take you backwards, until you reach Serpents Embrace.

There is a glitch that allows you enter SE directly from Coiled. To do that, you have to press B+K at the end of any CL's move animation. You can try doing CL B~B+K or CL A~B+K for example and you will see how that works.

Yes, exactly.

Personally I see it like this:

SE <--> SW <--> CL <-->WP

A+K-------------------------->
<---------------------------B+K

Pressing A+K will move you to the right direction, and B+K to the left. So for example, if you are in Sword State, pressing A+K will move you to Coiled, and then to Whip State. B+K will take you backwards, until you reach Serpents Embrace.

There is a glitch that allows you enter SE directly from Coiled. To do that, you have to press B+K at the end of any CL's move animation. You can try doing CL B~B+K or CL A~B+K for example and you will see how that works.

Ah ok good to know.
I have A+K on L1, because I thought A+K is the left direction, but I guess that's not really important right? As long as you know to which stance you will switch next hehe.
Ok a glitch, I will try that out, thanks. :)

Damn to me, Ivy got to many tech traps. But to be honest I abuse CL wr b WP 66b CL 1b.b+k SW 214k or CL wr b WP 66b CL 1b.b+k WP 3 b 6b 4b 6b 4b (5 whip) :/

So yesterday I played SC4 for the first time online.
My first matches were pretty terrible. I guess I focused too much on combos.
But that kinda reminds me of my first time playing SSF4, it was really hard as well, because I never played SF4, so there were a lot of veterans in the game.
And I guess it's the same with SC4, it's out for 2 years now, so I can't expect wonders for my first day. :D

However, after some time I met a French guy and we played some matches and we talked a bit. And he taught me some things with Ivy, that I should use more of her fast attacks and change to SW when I'm close. And that helped a lot. I started to use more of her fast and simple attacks and used basic combos when I got the opportunity like SW 8h (or 2h) K 214K.

And I started to win more often because of that. I need to figure out more moves and combos in SW stance now.
I also started practising her CS (the one move that does 80 dmg?) but I can't do it persistently yet. And I guess I shouldn't even try it online lol.

Not sure if this is specific to Ivy only, but its a nifty piece of defence so I'm posting it here:
Voldo A+B 66B, 66:B, 1(B) ~ throw/relaunch mixup, Ivy has a good answer to the mixup if the A+B connects on you from the front, Ivy's left and some angles from Ivy's right.
As 1(B) picks you up, hold 9G and you will jump causing throws to whiff but interestingly also cause A+B to be blocked. Granted, you get nothing free, but it takes you out of immediate danger.
When I say certain angles on the right, be careful - the jump attempt can cause you being backgrabbed, which otherwise does not happen due to how she attempts to jump, so using it when hit from the right is inadvisable. Even so, its a lengthy combo, so you have plenty of time to work out exactly how you were hit and deal with it accordingly.

lol, this guy named "Handsomeboiikev" online left our match and said to me - Ivy is unplayable especially since you have frame cheats. Can someone explain to me what this loser was talking about?

Back