SCIV Ivy General Discussion & FAQ

qftt omg maxi 9k punish inc :D

Sadly this probably won't work. 9K takes too long, Ivy can probably recover and block even if you do jump the last hit. Only fast TJ moves Maxi has are 236A which is actually disadvantage on hit or 236B. I always thought that they didn't give him fast TJ moves because his while landing mixups were so good in previous games. Now that they've taken out all while landing moves they need to give the man some faster, safer TJ moves.

Some characters have weird ways to punish it. I know before the 3rd hit Yoshi can do the BT stance to force a whiff and punish everytime. Ivy can beat it by blocking the 2nd hit and then standing and let go of block before the 3rd hit. The reason being is her hit box is slightly farther back standing without guard and it causes a whiff. So there's a lot of weird ways to beat this. I didn't know you could jump it, I'll have to see how that works.

If anyone tell u that Ivy's SE b6b4b6b4b is a waste of time it's only because they can't perform the move wif consistentcy. Trust me, this move set makes Ivy a BEAST!

How so? If I remember well it does only 1-2 more damage in combos than SE BBB due to damage scaling. On block the last hit whiffs on many characters leaving Ivy open for an attack. It's only somewhat useful as a techtrap but this also can work only for so long...

SE,BBB is just as good damage wise. But, y use it if you can do the jf5. Use it just like the 3 hit Ivy only needs to be a ray of sunlight off axis for all 5 to hit. Shame on u if ur not setting this up with any move, ss,se. Angles man angles. Most people aren't use to seeing this move up close and personal they're more likely to release the guard during this attack versus the SE, BBB. This is truly one of those move sets that shouldn't hit as well as it does but does if you are comfortable using it and have gotten the timing down to deal with your opponent WR attack after 5th hit blocked

I don't really understand what you mean.

5 hit JF is a terrible move because it has too much risk in itself and almost no reward. SC4's combo damage scaling killed this move, because it does 1-2 points of damage more than standard SE BBB which is ridiculous given how difficult to perform 5Hit actually is.

Yes, it is better than standard SE BBB but only when your opponent knows nothing about Ivy's techtraps. Holding G after certain moves, such as NH WP 3B, will reset 5hit's damage. But most people learn quickly what her tech options are because she has only few, so sooner or later it will stop working.

Other than that, it has almost no uses. No one will duck vs SE stance on high level play, because SE has no mixup. You might only get lucky if your opponent whiffs GI after blocking WP 3B (hoping to impact SE K/66K) then you can whiff punish it with 5Hit,9gB for 70dmg but it's a rare situation.

This move certainly does not make Ivy a beast. Truth is most people use it only because it looks cool. Also, personally I don't remember the last time someone released guard in the middle of 5hit, spare the online newbies.

^^^ That's right. Howling Spirits is worthless in this game and I pretty much only use it cause it looks cool.

I use it because I can land all five hits. The trick is being close enough to land the first hit. Despite the SE BBB, IMHO doesn't break my opponents rhythm enough to effect the flow of the game. The 5hit is akin to hitting the pause button:-) I couldn't see the benefits of this move set until I could pull it out my harse! It's a sweet beni that I've earned by sticking wif Ivy through the years.

Cav could you please start writing a little bit more clearly?, I wanna know what your saying but its kinda impossible... I feel like I understand half your posts.

+ If Ring says something is a certain way with Ivy, you should believe him, he is one of the most knowledgeable Ivy's out there and knows his shit.

Ivy's "Howling Spirits" works for me. I've done well against top tier comp wif different versions of her. I'd like to admit, this version is my least favorite. Ring? Who is Ring?

Ivy's "Howling Spirits" works for me. I've done well against top tier comp wif different versions of her. I'd like to admit, this version is my least favorite. Ring? Who is Ring?

Jaxel has to add a dislike button....

Never heard of him. I've been out the tourney scene for I while. I do have some history and have been n game informer mags with some of the top SC Players back in the day. I was a regular at tourney's hosted by WC MAXI in Chicago and take pride in the fact that I had input wif the beta of SC 2. I said all that to say this, I'm not a newbie, and I've been posting here b4 this site was called 8wayrun. It's just been about a decade or more...so, again who is Ring. I might know em.

Ah fuck it's me 2.0 circa 2009.

He's entitled to his opinion even if Ring says otherwise, he's doing his best to make a legit argument despite the flaws so i respect that. But, in this case look at the rewards of the move:

• 20 extra damage at best, usually not and will scale the follow up g9B.
  • limited tech trap options.
  • More SG damage, putting it at average if ALL 5 hit.

So it does have some benefits but they're very minimal. The risks?

• Hugely punishable, especially on hits 1-4. So if you drop it it's far worse than dropping a simple blocked BBB
  • Your opponent has more time to mentally prep for you to drop it, and in high level play no one will walk into it after block since you can punish on reaction if it drops
  • Multiple hits can sometimes push them out and cause a whiff
  • Can sometimes do LESS damage!

I too can do this move, but I opt out. The ONLY time you will ever see me use it is for flare or if I absolutely need that damage for a kill. The risk of fucking up once and getting punished vastly out weighs the need for 20- damage on a combo. If you have a VERY high consistency with it and feel you can do it in match go ahead, but you should seriously have 90-95% accuracy if you're going to, I have like a 60-75%. But the big thing here is do NOT think this is needed for the highest level of play with Ivy and it does much to up her game. it offers very little and most top level people would favor consistency over the terrible reward it gives at the huge risk. If we felt the risk was worth it, you would see us using it, but it's simply a terrible move.

Another note, many Ivy's in this thread are in fact the top ivy's in the world, PERIOD. Ring, LinkRC, Woahhzz, and Malek are often debated as the best, and even then we have players that are arguably in that top level with them as well. I myself, while not on their level, have Ivy theory play down and can back these opinions up. Use this to maybe rethink your intro here, you're not among gameFAQs players, these are the all stars of the game. You wont find a more knowledgeable group in both the game and character anywhere

Back