SCV Ivy FAQ & General Discussion

Question. Vs AlphaPatroklos, what mid to use instead of 3B/2A+B ?
Alpha can punish both of theese moves with a CE. What should Ivy use when theese moves are unsafe ?

I think 66B can be an alternative, do I missed a better one ?

I wanted to ask are moves that dont allow techs after knd benificial to Ivy. Like do these make some setup more viable?

Ground pressure... Let's discuss.

I use to think Ivy had great ground pressure. Now I think it's just so-so. Here are her options as I see them, say, post 6B8 AT.

2A+B - Decent guard damage, grounds opponent if it hits, rollable to one side but still my top choice.
bK - Catches rolls and hits low
2K - Good for some easy extra damage
CE - Really good if your opponent does not know about the CE ground trap. Hard to get if they're looking out for it.

And I don't know of any other notables =/
I need to use bK more often... but I do occasionally like to toss out 44BK : B. It does a ton of guard damage that really sneaks up on them since it doesn't guard crush. It doesn't hit side rollers at all, and is ridiculously punishable if they do side roll, but if you mix up bK with it you can get good damage.

I'm sitting here and I'm thinking, was including WP 1B that hard to include in the movelist? Smh. They could have easily changed the input.

Ground pressure... Let's discuss.

I use to think Ivy had great ground pressure. Now I think it's just so-so. Here are her options as I see them, say, post 6B8 AT.

2A+B - Decent guard damage, grounds opponent if it hits, rollable to one side but still my top choice.
bK - Catches rolls and hits low
2K - Good for some easy extra damage
CE - Really good if your opponent does not know about the CE ground trap. Hard to get if they're looking out for it.

And I don't know of any other notables =/

1K - catches all rolls
B+K - not something you would spam all day cuz it's rollable to one side, but guard dmg is awesome.

sometimes I go for 44A+B_(A+B) or 4B+K cancel into CE/CS/SS/A+G/1A+B/2A+B/1B BE if I'm sure they're going to stand up and just block.

I wanted to ask are moves that dont allow techs after knd benificial to Ivy. Like do these make some setup more viable?

2A+B being not techable make a her grab game on wake-up a lot more viable imo. 2A+B gets you a CH2A+B,6B8 when the opponent attacks while standing up, forces them to roll escape and gives you a bK, which leads to the next untechable wake-up situation or needs to be blocked. When they start blocking you can start grabing them.

Can you get out of 44B+K after 1K/22_88K? Because I haven't seen it happen so far and it would be awesome to frame-trap guard-break for a lot of damage.

I've just using her and would like some advice as to how to play her efficiently, e.g starting a match/combos/punishers/brave edges all that stuff

^ starting a match: I start a match with 6(A) cuz it kills step or I backstep cuz it usually avoids stuff that kills Ivy 6(A).
combos: we have a combo thread and a combo discussion thread.
punisher: we have a punishment thread
brave edges:
  • 1B BE: When the opponent can't JG or step the 2nd hit it's abusable for the 6B8K frame trap or as a mix-up option. When the opponent can you just use it imo as a punisher.
  • 2B8 BE: Only for creating wallsplatts on an airborne opponent.
  • 66B BE: Good for punishing in some situations imo and for extending combos. Once in a while it's worth trying to catch someone with it, who's backstepping for 6B8 or 6B8 BE wallsplatt.
  • 22B BE: Not a move you should randomly throw out, cuz the 2nd hit is easy to JG. I recommend it for whiff punishing. It's inferior to 22(B).... dmg wise but the ouki situation after it is kinda nice. The 2nd hit has a crazy range I rarely do it just for the range but some ppl get caught by it cuz they thin you're going to whiff.
  • A+G BE: Not sure about this one. All I can say is that it's only worth when it will finish the opponent of. I don't believe it's otherwise the meter worth.
  • CE: Awesome. It's not breakable, does ton of dmg, not duck reactable (at least for me) and creates really strong 50/50s. Succesful GI + CE = guanranteed 100 dmg

Hey Link and Kinetic Clash, good luck tomorrow :-)

I have enjoyed watching your movies (both of you), really hope you can show some Ivy-powah friday. Unfortunately I probably won't be able to see it live due to time zones.

-vanvid-

GI into GI is a super high level technique. How else are you supposed to use meter with Ivy?

(It was actually a botched 1B BE.)

LP's Viola is still tough for me to figure out.

Did not expect to get ROed that final round against Hawkeye. I thought I'd take the guard burst combo and come back from there. My favorite stage betrayed me.

I'd have liked to do better, but I hope the matches were entertaining at least. It really felt more like an exhibition than a serious tournament.

Back