SCV Ivy Video Thread

This was me vs KankakuProject's Raphael. Even though I was very narrowed down in my options by the opponent, trust me, I played better then ever here. But I would still like to hear any suggestions you guys can give me to improve my game.

There are only small things I could see:

When you get CH 3A, always go for 8A+B . It does a bit more damage.
When you hit the opponent with 22_88B BE use 2B+K. If your opponent can ukemi it then discontinue. If not, keep doing after 22_88B BE.

I also think you need to step just a little bit more and try to anticipate when they will use verticals.

But I'm no pro, so if Ring disregards this then oh well :)

I don't like how often you use summon suffering, which burned a lot of your meter. I think the only appropriate time to use SS is when you're trying to do a mixup to win the game. Otherwise, use calamity to teach your opponent to break B.

Otherwise, use calamity to teach your opponent to break B.
I can do CS almost whenever I try it. However, in my mind, I think I gave up on the move, because I'm too sluggish when inputting it and am not doing much to improve my efficiency in performing it (because I simply don't know how to improve it). This guy would cut me down as soon as he saw me moving down the 2828 pattern. x)

I don't often watch my own videos, and I'm definitely not going to start with this set, haha. When I got home after this tournament I took Leixia to the training room. Here are some things I learned.

66AA on hit, you can't QS FC 3bB after tech rolling. You can, however, do a jumping attack over it. Up to you whether you want to do A for frames, B for damage, or K for knockdown. You can also tech straight back and it will miss entirely for some strange reason.

6BA and 6BaB isn't a mixup. The A is high now, so you can duck it and FC 1B. The same timing will CH 6BaB.

The guard burst combo, try to tech the iWS B BE. Tech up on 1P, down on 2P. It makes the combo a lot harder to hit, and if the iWSB is mistimed you get a free back throw. Yes, you can also do CS/CE.

Punishing 3B is a good idea. The knockback pre-patch always made me worried about punishing it, but still....

Overall though, I told you guys I would play better next time and I didn't. I'm taking some time away from tournaments to reevaluate my approach to the game. I've been to a tournament basically every two weeks since the game came out, and I feel like preparing for a tournament is different than exploring the game. I need to do more of the latter, as I believe I've reached the limit of what my SC3 legacy skill can do.

Overall though, I told you guys I would play better next time and I didn't. I'm taking some time away from tournaments to reevaluate my approach to the game. I've been to a tournament basically every two weeks since the game came out, and I feel like preparing for a tournament is different than exploring the game. I need to do more of the latter, as I believe I've reached the limit of what my SC3 legacy skill can do.

QFFT. Especially post 1.02, it is such a different game now it's not even funny. You will see upsets come this World Championships in April 10, because SC5 1.02 is all about offense and mixups, IMO.

Hope to see you murder at Evo, Link. :)

I was also really impressed with your block -> CS attempts. I've been trying to get that out as a punish and I just can't get it out fast enough :/

But from watching your previous matches and this one... I do think you played a lot better this time around. You were spot on a lot of things, like the 8B punish over lows, your CS game and your just guards...

This was me vs KankakuProject's Raphael. Even though I was very narrowed down in my options by the opponent, trust me, I played better then ever here. But I would still like to hear any suggestions you guys can give me to improve my game.
You could have KO'd him outright in rounds 2 and 5 by using 8_9B after 1K instead of 214B. Same reason you'd use 8A+BB instead of 8A+B{B} when the opponent is near death.

When you hit the opponent with 22_88B BE use 2B+K. If your opponent can ukemi it then discontinue. If not, keep doing after 22_88B BE.
I believe that, if they don't ukemi, you can actually G bK for more damage than 2B+K offers post patch. It's definitely harder, though.

post patch :P If your opponent attempts to stand straight up on the spot it will catch them and you have another free 2B+K haha.

Anyways, I just wanted to show this xD:

Really helps to know someone with a good recording setup. :)

Warning: FT10 (long video)

This is the Ivy playstyle I've been working on. It's quite unorthodox with zoning, constant backdashing and liberal use of 1_2_3 B+K. I'm finding that this move can be a great whiff punish and spacing tool sometimes (great to get back to neutral when blocked), and there was no other better char to test this against than Pat. Again, this style is not perfected (nor am I sure its preferable to Ivy's close range shenanigans) and this is online (albeit a good connection) but its how I'm currently adjusting to 1.03.

Feedback/comments would be really appreciated, thanks!

PS: yes I know I was free to 236AB all day. :( Need to learn how to jG Pat.

Link Yourskill isamazing, I'm surprisedhow quicklyyou usetheCS, I have seenasyou used itafter aJG.214Aalso aftercancel...as you getitfast, Imove thedollto meeven when I'mdefending myself.

I've always really liked Ivy. I want to consider her my main, but lately I've been being more consistent with Patrokolos.
Is there anything there, or am I just flailing around?
I'm hoping that by perusal of this thread I might be able to improve my game.
Part of the Patrokolos thing was that I learned a whole lot from fighting people good with Patrokolos. For some reason people using Ivy never really came up as much.

My dear friend,

why are you playing on two bar? :P

Okay, for the video:
You rely a little too heavily on Unblockables, such as her 214A. Be careful with this as it can be ducked and punished.
My playstyle with Ivy is mainly stepping backwards and sideways alot. I know there is a backdash G nerf but it still works :P
Try avoiding using verticals if they are already stepping.

Perhaps learn her command grab? It's hard, but it still looks cool when you pull it off.

I won't deny that I use 214A a whole lot, perhaps too much.
100 Damage with Tech Crouch properties feels too good to pass up.
Here I use it to dodge a grab in the first round.
I try to be tactical like that, but sometimes I get caught up in the moment.
And I've been doing a lot of CS study, but only managed to do it for real once.
I'll keep at that one, though.

I've always really liked Ivy. I want to consider her my main, but lately I've been being more consistent with Patrokolos.
Is there anything there, or am I just flailing around?
I'm hoping that by perusal of this thread I might be able to improve my game.
Part of the Patrokolos thing was that I learned a whole lot from fighting people good with Patrokolos. For some reason people using Ivy never really came up as much.
Do you have any videos on a non-bad connection? It is really hard to tell how good you're doing with this video.

The main thing I got out of watching this (until Mage pointed out it was a 2 bar connection) was that you had really bad reaction time.

@ PhredLevi 0:27. Finish your A+B B. Frame-wise it's for the best even if your opponent blockes.
1.04 Finish your combo! If 1K hits use 9B on yellow and 214B on blue health.

More notes: If you see viola use BB the chances are high that she is going to call the orb back. Duck and WR 1B G 4b8 that bitch for 70+ damage.
Using 214A isn't bad but if you want to use it a lot then you have to give your opponent a reason NOT to duck. You might want to try and cancel it into 1b,A+B+K. (Even though this guy didn't know how to duck apparently...)

Back