SCV: Online etiquette Yes or Do What You Want?

SCV: Online etiquette Yes or Do What You Want?

• Total voters

FleshMasher

[13] Hero
I was wondering if i should start a "SCV: Online etiquette Yes or Do What You Want?" poll.

I think etiquette is a two bladed sword for training online. (I am aware online training sux anyway)
You don't rely on Laglows but i also mostly unlearnt to use those lows at all.

I know etiquette is used to emulate offline play.
But you can't really emulate offline so why even try and at the same time cripple yourself?
I know that relying on lag stuff also hinders you but you can't avoid that completely either.
Like attacking at disadvantage, lack of hitchecking etc.

I think that when you don't reach the offline experience anyway you could as well use all the moves.
Even though i try to stick to etiquette in SCIV i'm unsure what to do in SCV Online.

What do you think would be better (or less bad) online training?

On a side note does anyone know any hints to lay off net etiquette when playing offline?

It's not my job to tell someone how they should play their game. I know how to get the most out of my online experience as someone who wants to seriously play offline to the best of their abilities - if someone just wants to play online and never cares about going offline, I don't see the point in trying to enforce an "offline friendly" playstyle on them.

Maybe a mod who reads this could add:
'I won't be playing you anyway, so go nuts.'
and
'Don't know yet' Option.

FleshMasher, your original post is basically online play in a nutshell it seems. For me personally, I want to play clean, but it's hard to do so when most the casuals (not hating on casuals, I'm a casual too) online that aren't interested whatsoever in etiquette or respect are constantly chopping your feet or doing whatever with "lag tactics".

If you play with your friends exclusively and never play randoms that don't understand online etiquette and don't have to worry about stuff like that, more power to you. But that's not my case. I'm not always playing against people that I respect nor that respect me so it's hard to give my answer given the options in the poll.

I'd like a "I'll try to play you using online etiquette until I start getting spammed and then I'll do whatever I want." option to be honest, cause it seems that's how it is for me all the time. I try to play legit, I don't go around chopping people's feet and trolling for fun, but it's hard to avoid with the player content on XBL. I say XBL because I simply don't play PS3 at all and don't know what it's like over there so all I have to go off of for general online player skill is XBL.

Thanks ^^

click on "online facts and basics" in my sig. There is an list of GUIDELINES there that usually helps with the ettiqute.

That was helpful concerning the ettiquette, but not concerning how to shed etiquette when playing offline.
Thanks anyway ^^

I guess there is no way to not adopt etiquette to a point where it can't be shed.
Except playing more off- than online.
Or not using etiquette at all, which leads to other bad habits that are equally hard to shed.

Now my question is:
Which is worse for the own playstyle? When translating from on- to offline?
Bad online habits like laglows?
Or net etiquette? (Which, in this context, i consider as just another type of bad online habit)

Generally I'll play using net etiquette, and if the other person is not then I make a choice: a) if the connection and player are good enough relative to the amount of abuse, then keep playing and shutup. b) If not, then quit, and shutup.

I have done it in the past very occasionally but I never send people messages first anymore (unless it's to say gg's, or occasionally to be provocateur and ask why they kick me after I beat them). If they try to call me out on stuff then responses are fair game.

I do what I want: I stick to the etiquette, but if you lagspam I'll destroy you. But sometimes I give you room - depends on my mood of the night.
You do what you want.

Now my question is:
Which is worse for the own playstyle? When translating from on- to offline?
Bad online habits like laglows?
Or net etiquette? (Which, in this context, i consider as just another type of bad online habit)

Habits like laglows ought to be easy enough to break if you're an active player.

By that, I mean as a player that you are not playing on autopilot; you're reacting to what is actually happening to you at the moment, not on some preconceived notion of what 'should' be happening. If you're an active, in-the-moment player, maybe you will become used to using unsafe moves in an online setting - because they work - but when you go offline, you will stop playing like that because you will very quickly realize that those bad moves are getting stuffed. :p

As for netiquette...uh, I'm not sure what kind of stuff you're referring to, but do mean making rules for yourself, and not using certain moves/strategies because they're cheap online? If so I agree with you - that's an attitude that can be a lot harder to shake than simply using bad moves in an environment where they are...less bad. :P

On a serious note, Why is this even up for SCV? Don't you mean SCIV? SCV we have no news on any Online information at all.

I did mean SCV because, like SCIV, we can expect it to be worse online than offline (perfect online seems impossible at this moment) and i wanted to get this rolling before SCV hits the shelves, even though we don't know how online will be.

Habits like laglows ought to be easy enough to break if you're an active player.
'Laglows' are necessary offline: Cass 1A, Ivy SW 2A+K, Tira 88K, Lizzy 1K, Mitsu 1A, Setsuka 1A: A: A etc. Are all used offline and regularly at that. You just have to use them intelligently as opposed to the:
'I'm a retard and I think Kilik 2A+K mixes up with 4A+B' belief that some scrubs online seem to have, lol.

'Laglows' are necessary offline: Cass 1A, Ivy SW 2A+K, Tira 88K, Lizzy 1K, Mitsu 1A, Setsuka 1A: A: A etc. Are all used offline and regularly at that. You just have to use them intelligently as opposed to the:
'I'm a retard and I think Kilik 2A+K mixes up with 4A+B' belief that some scrubs online seem to have, lol.

Synraii I'm starting to give up on Online man. Just lost to a Lag tact Seong-Mi-na and a Lag tactic Rugi.
God I wish I there were some Michigan tournaments...
Tell me Syn what do you do when you lose to lag tactics?

Online?
I don't because I only play offline now, lol.
When I was however, I remembered that winning or losing online proves neither skill nor experience, so I didn't really care tbh. =/

Lawl I'm going to start playing exclusively offline now man. I'm starting to think like you now. I win online I get sent hate messages, I lose online it's lag tactics. (Not always the case, I get destroyed by good players every blue moon). I Win and leave I get sent messages.

I'm getting tired of online. Maybe I should start playing offline like you did. Tell me since you're in London you have more people to play with right? I guess since I have nobody of skill near my area should I just watch Combo Vids and read the Soul Arena's and practice offline?

Actually, I live in Nottingham - about 150 miles away from London, lol. I just go there for tournaments. Since I moved here, my nearest offline games which present a challenge are 100 miles away, minimum.
The best advice I can give you is just go to every tournament you can find, irrespective of distance if you have the cash. I learned more from one offline session than 18 months of online before I made the switch. =/

Back