SCV Yoshimitsu Q&A and General Discussion

Yoshi is still awesome IMO. It's cool cause if you opponent doesn't know about MCF you can feed it to then all day after set ups and if they do, they freeze for him strong mix ups game. Plus Yosh has awesome basic normals, the best low in the game, piles of tech traps which do loads of damage and a really powerful CE which you can frame trap for half their life!! Yoshi is the dude. The fact that they don't touch him in patches is good if you look at what every one else is having done to them for the most part.

Yeah on paper he's good, but when you get in to the heat of the game his most important attacks either whiff, are too technical to pull off, or are seen before you can do anything. He's broken man.

Yeah on paper he's good, but when you get in to the heat of the game his most important attacks either whiff, are too technical to pull off, or are seen before you can do anything. He's broken man.

Those attacks that are "too technical" to pull of are pretty standard in high level Yoshi play. Whiffs are not a problem with Yoshi aside from random Aeon problems and 22B which is good compared to other characters in the cast having wide spread whiffing issues.

Those attacks that are "too technical" to pull of are pretty standard in high level Yoshi play.

.... whiffs are, too. Ear slicer has a stupid input. You can watch lolo miss it. :\

No one else plays Yoshi that I know of?

.... whiffs are, too. Ear slicer has a stupid input. You can watch lolo miss it. :\

No one else plays Yoshi that I know of?

JFs always have that risk/reward. Everyone misses them, just as people drop combos. Not a single player high level or otherwise is going to nail everything in their arsenal 100% of the time. Now that I've used a:B+K for this long I rarely ever miss it, I'm sure it's that way with most other Yoshi players. Whether or not you agree with using a bind is another story, but Furzy uses no bind and does just fine with it.

Whether or not you agree with using a bind is another story, but Furzy uses no bind and does just fine with it.

This is really wrong on so many levels. :\

If you read back a few, I'm actually the first person to try to share my method of a "bindless" aB+K based on the way it was done in IV on an arcade stick.....

Furzy admitted previously in the thread that he still misses them during an actual match. If we're basing reality solely on Furzy's video.... I could reproduce the same video. I could reproduce the same video with a microcontroller and you would never know...... I can also reproduce the tournament video where the Yoshimitsu ends up in FLE instead of finishing his combo...... I'm not trying to take cheap shots at anyone here, but it's not indicative of real tournament performance to use one youtube video as the sole proof of the "ease of ear slicer."

If you compare nearly the whole cast their JFs do not have a risk/reward at the same level as ear slicer. Unless I missed the thread where it was revealed Alpha Pat has a stance where he stands on his head when he fails twister or Poe starts doing Zumba when she fails 236:B.....

You can substitute 6K while you're still learning. You won't get the RO opportunities or other set-ups, but you'd be surprised at the mileage you can get out of 6K and deathcopter traps without using ear slicer at all.....

This is really wrong on so many levels. :\

If you read back a few, I'm actually the first person to try to share my method of a "bindless" aB+K based on the way it was done in IV on an arcade stick.....

Furzy admitted previously in the thread that he still misses them during an actual match. If we're basing reality solely on Furzy's video.... I could reproduce the same video. I could reproduce the same video with a microcontroller and you would never know...... I can also reproduce the tournament video where the Yoshimitsu ends up in FLE instead of finishing his combo...... I'm not trying to take cheap shots at anyone here, but it's not indicative of real tournament performance to use one youtube video as the sole proof of the "ease of ear slicer."

Did you just ignore the entire first part of what I said?

I could show you 10,000+ videos of people in fighting game missing combos. Does that mean their characters are bad? a:B+K is really good in this game and allows for some of the most potent UB traps I've ever seen in SC. It deserves to be difficult.

Possibly, but I doubt it. It's a little out of order. I could see how it might be confusing.

The JF risk/reward is addressed later in the post with the Zumba comment. You rarely missing ear slicer isn't really relevant. Your testimony for other Yoshimitsu players isn't really relevant. Binds aren't really relevant, but I covered that, too.

Possibly, but I doubt it. It's a little out of order. I could see how it might be confusing.

The JF risk/reward is addressed later in the post with the Zumba comment. You rarely missing ear slicer isn't really relevant. Your testimony for other Yoshimitsu players isn't really relevant. Binds aren't really relevant, but I covered that, too.

No, I'm saying centrally that missing JFs is human error not character error. People miss pretty easy combos in tournament matches, just as they miss just frames. It has nothing to do with their character, it's the central human element in fighting games.

Oh, I suppose when you frame it that way we're kind of going on about the same thing. I posted before that I can record myself doing 20+ ear slicers, but it's the one I miss in a match that kills me.

I'm still on the side of ear slicer being stupid difficult to do with massive risk that is not mirrored by other characters. Online, regardless of how much of a joke you think online is, it's even worse. Human error doesn't cause JF twister or instant stabs to deal 0 damage and put you in some of the worst positions possible.....

That's my point.

I have no problem with his JFs. Every one misses them with every JF based character. It's part of the game. People are even going to gimp and mess up basic stuff sometimes too. We aren't robots. I nail a:B+K and MCF 90% and I have no fear basing my game around them even though I miss the odd one here and there. Usually it's not match ending as I get A or 2A/2B. Geez if you think using JFs makes Yoshi too hard then you must think aPat is really terrible. a:B+K leads to a 90 ish damage combo and it's i13 and safe.... That's pretty damn solid! MCF is one of the single best attacks in the game even though it's 2f slower than before. Look how many times Omega messed up the 3B a:B NM combo at the worlds. That's basic as hell. Shit happens. Practice never does actually make perfect just better.

i think the risk/reward for using a:B+K is balanced. it's hard to do at 1st.. but once you go to the lab and figure out your timing, it becomes easier to do in heated matches.

Oh, I suppose when you frame it that way we're kind of going on about the same thing. I posted before that I can record myself doing 20+ ear slicers, but it's the one I miss in a match that kills me.

I'm still on the side of ear slicer being stupid difficult to do with massive risk that is not mirrored by other characters. Online, regardless of how much of a joke you think online is, it's even worse. Human error doesn't cause JF twister or instant stabs to deal 0 damage and put you in some of the worst positions possible.....

That's my point.

i agree it's pretty jacked that we can end up being in FLEA or doing A+B (which happens to me if i ever miss it.... which, if they're pressing G, i get a free 6K lol.. but shit, i'll take it! haha)

but at the same time, being able to execute all of yoshis moves gives me a sense of pride knowing that i put in the work in the lab to execute most of them during matches.. i'll miss 8WR A+B =>iMCF more then i get it... but that's the least of my worries. Try going into doing the inputs and learning him with a different mind set and i'm sure everyone will be doing all his JFs like it's normal.

that's my 2 cents. NAMU

Point completely missed. I don't need anyone to cheer me on in the lab to learn how to do a:B+K when I'm pretty sure half of the people here don't even know the simultaneous input glitches abundant in the game.

Next topic.

uh oh.. we have a internet tough guy!! lol

i'm not trying to cheer you on. i'm trying to stop these threads from becoming a complain about everything sort of thing which is what you're doing... deal with it or stop playing the fuckin game! period!

OR show up to EVO. we'll see who's talking then.

ask the vegas peeps when you're in town to find me if you do decide to come. :) NAMU

maybe i did. :( but you're right let's move on to the next topic before i dig myself further in.

but i'm serious about EVO. if you come, hit me up.

Sure knowledge and being able to do stuff is essential Supa, but showing proof that you're consistent with it is not as easy as one thinks. You can watch a basketball match on TV/ play it with casual friends and say stuff, but being in a official one is another story. If that analogy makes sense.

Anyways, I think I found a risky but oh so Namu heavenly thing to do xD. If I'm slow to this dis regard this lol. Also correct me if my frame talk is wrong.

SDGF 2B+K MED to guard crush from above thine enemy. Then Suicide when they get up if your MED stance is BT. Then 2A+B to teleport. If you like risking it, try it out. I've yet to try this on a human opponent, but I so want to experiment with any silly yet devious tricks with Yoshi xD.

So far I'm happy to play Yoshi of SCV to experiment for trial and error even though experts are luckier to know more than Pocky Yoshi. *Pouts*

Let's say I use a:B+K after 22B or 3B. My favorite is to steel wind(9B+K:K) on their face, but lately I've been finding that a:B+K pushes them too far away to even follow up and 90% of the time they just ukemi out of the way. I know 6K is probably his best move, and 9A+B is almost guaranteed on wakeup from 3AB. I can steal on niggas with his B:A counter about 80% of the time. Even with all this, in order for MCF to be useful, I need to anticipate what they're going to do and react in 20 or less frames. I understand this game was meant to be deep and rewarding, but this is too deep and not rewarding enough. Last night I got Cervantes's just frames down to 90% success in ten minutes. And at least Alpha Pat actually rewards you if you get his JFs. With Yoshi I get 10 damage in a narrow hit box with MCF and + ~30 damage from a:B+K. With all that said, I've never hit anyone with MCF, or seen anyone get hit by MCF. Ever. Not even once.

Back