Setsuka: First Impressions and Expectations

her 1K has been different in SC3 / SC4 / SC6 as well eh ?

The reason i'm asking is to show the healthy amount of new animations project soul can add.. and how they will affect the liklihood of other possible returning veterans
Yeah, I was wondering about 1K, too, but thought that I had seen it in Alpha Pat's moveset. Might be wrong, though, because I dropped that game after a week ^^°

Hey guys,
after sinking my teeth into the new DLC content for a couple of days and finally finishing Setsuka's Soul chronicle having procrastinated that for a bit, here's my two cents.

I kinda like her new design and think that it adds a different flavour to the roster. However, I find my self exclusively using her SCIV as a base which I like even much much better. As I stated somewhere else already, I think it's a pity that her artwork and in-game model have quite noticable differences, e.g. in her hairstyle.

When I first saw the trailer, I felt that they had changed her face drastically, but now I think it's just a matter of how the new hairstyle frames her face and that she has different make-up.

Still, I feel that "young" Setsuka is waaaay too busty. It really shows in Creation mode, when most items look utterly silly virtually bursting with her breast size.

The new animations look very smooth and there don't seem to be any incidents of staggering or clipping like Haohmaru had. I acknowledge that PS went for a much more flashy approach compared to SC3 and SC4, incorporating the opened umbrella in many or most of the new moves. While I get that a DLC character's moveset needs to be visually exciting and distinctive, I preferred the more nuanced utilization of the umbrella from previous games.

For my taste, the wind effects are much too thick and tend to cover a lot of what's going on (just like real wind would, huhKappa). Doubling the transparency would be fine. By contrast, I'm really digging that they've kept her SC glow effect more subtle, though.

That being said, I kinda dislike her new A+G animation as it just doesn't give me "throw" (and I find her hovering a lot depending on where on the stage she's located).

What really made me lol was that goofy look on her face from the new win pose.

I get why they adjusted her idle stance, making it more CAS-able, while sacrificing the more feminine idle stance from SC4. An option to switch between old and new idle stance would be really nice (as was previously discussed), but I doubt it will come. Thinking of it, the current idle stance reflects the weight of her breasts much better than the SC4 one. Kappa Poor Setsuka.

I like her CE a lot overall, as it seems to be a nice tribute to both the SC3 opening as well as the original Shurayukihime manga (with the jumping and concealing movements behind the umbrella). I use it a lot as it's rather quick, it's added to by powering up and has a decent range as well.

The only downside for me is the somewhat lacking speed of the whole thing as it spends too long a time having you look at your confused opponent. Imo it would be so much more dynamic and have much more drama if instead of showing her STANDING behind the opponent, THEN taking the first steps, the shifting camera angle revealed her already LEAPING to make the finally cut.

Totally feels like Setsuka. They haven't removed any of her bread and butter moves and I feel they have meaningfully added to earlier movesets instead of completely revamping it. With the new stances and their mix-up options, they've added a nice bunch of tools for suspense and mindgames, which I really enjoy. I wonder though, why they did not bring back some of her earlier mix-ups, like SC3's 44AB, at least in SC.

The meter mechanic comes off as really subtle gameplay-wise and even its animation is really really bearable imo. No rose baiting, so that's good. I also love the fact that they've kept most of the more demanding inputs and added b:A JF, rewarding the player in terms of soul gauge and damage when using them.

Adding subtle visual feedback for 214 and 236 usuage is a welcome touch and kinda gives me a sense of superiority online lol. The soul gauge cost for using the simplified inputs could be higher or the rewards for complicated inputs higher, but oh well. I guess this is a good compromise.

Interesting. Added some depth while incorporating Souledge into her storyline, as least making her a teeny-tiny bit more relevant. Also gives you hope for future content, like the mystery woman who might become a new character in the long run. The Mitsurugi part was okay, too, making Relic a Shinden Tsushima-ryu battoujutsu move lol.

I liked that you get to fight invisible opponents, reminding me of the good old days of very unique challenges in Soul Blade/Edge.

This one is a bit of a disappointment for me, honestly. Personally, I think it leaves a lot to be desired. The ground especially and the space behind the gate seem empty and bland. The basic plain sunlight and the last-minute looking houses in the background don't help and only add to the impression of a rushed job. Last-gen flair, really. I much prefer Haohmaru's stage.

I hate the fact that the UNCOLOURABLE flower is tightly baked into her hair ornament ExEq, really limiting what you can do with it. Thus, it really dominates the look and catches your eye even if you don't want it to. Hopefully, they'll release separate versions of the hairpins and the flower in future updates.

The unisex haori is a welcome addition, as well as her SC4 1P. A plain, fully colourable version (without the dominatingly orange fox design and pink sakura blossoms) would be the cherry on the cake of future content, though. Also, how is the haori not compatible with the good old kimono?

Another minor let-down, to be true. Mostly comes off as a colour swap for the most part. Many weapons seem too similar to each other and it's really a missed opportunity that not a single one of the umbrellas has a repeating circular texture pattern arrangement (the frills on the Ridicule one don't count). I was hoping to make a swirl pattern for the umbrella, one with a simple circle and what not. While I feel this would not have been rocket science to implement, I accept this as a COVID/home office sacrifice, of course.

Although I think PS could have bought a low-budget standard everyday umbrella stock mesh model with a cane hilt to add more variety to the mix. I wonder if the no-umbrella version from story mode have a chance of being added further on.

So overall, I'm very satisfied with Setsuka's return. The points of critique are just nitpicking, especially in current times, really.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
after sinking my teeth into the new DLC content for a couple of days and finally finishing Setsuka's Soul chronicle having procrastinated that for a bit, here's my two cents.

I kinda like her new design and think that it adds a different flavour to the roster. However, I find my self exclusively using her SCIV as a base which I like even much much better. As I stated somewhere else already, I think it's a pity that her artwork and in-game model have quite noticable differences, e.g. in her hairstyle.

When I first saw the trailer, I felt that they had changed her face drastically, but now I think it's just a matter of how the new hairstyle frames her face and that she has different make-up.

Still, I feel that "young" Setsuka is waaaay too busty. It really shows in Creation mode, when most items look utterly silly virtually bursting with her breast size.

The new animations look very smooth and there don't seem to be any incidents of staggering or clipping like Haohmaru had. I acknowledge that PS went for a much more flashy approach compared to SC3 and SC4, incorporating the opened umbrella in many or most of the new moves. While I get that a DLC character's moveset needs to be visually exciting and distinctive, I preferred the more nuanced utilization of the umbrella from previous games.

For my taste, the wind effects are much too thick and tend to cover a lot of what's going on (just like real wind would, huhKappa). Doubling the transparency would be fine. By contrast, I'm really digging that they've kept her SC glow effect more subtle, though.

That being said, I kinda dislike her new A+G animation as it just doesn't give me "throw" (and I find her hovering a lot depending on where on the stage she's located).

What really made me lol was that goofy look on her face from the new win pose.

I get why they adjusted her idle stance, making it more CAS-able, while sacrificing the more feminine idle stance from SC4. An option to switch between old and new idle stance would be really nice (as was previously discussed), but I doubt it will come. Thinking of it, the current idle stance reflects the weight of her breasts much better than the SC4 one. Kappa Poor Setsuka.

I like her CE a lot overall, as it seems to be a nice tribute to both the SC3 opening as well as the original Shurayukihime manga (with the jumping and concealing movements behind the umbrella). I use it a lot as it's rather quick, it's added to by powering up and has a decent range as well.

The only downside for me is the somewhat lacking speed of the whole thing as it spends too long a time having you look at your confused opponent. Imo it would be so much more dynamic and have much more drama if instead of showing her STANDING behind the opponent, THEN taking the first steps, the shifting camera angle revealed her already LEAPING to make the finally cut.

Totally feels like Setsuka. They haven't removed any of her bread and butter moves and I feel they have meaningfully added to earlier movesets instead of completely revamping it. With the new stances and their mix-up options, they've added a nice bunch of tools for suspense and mindgames, which I really enjoy. I wonder though, why they did not bring back some of her earlier mix-ups, like SC3's 44AB, at least in SC.

The meter mechanic comes off as really subtle gameplay-wise and even its animation is really really bearble imo. No rose baiting, so that's good. I also love the fact that they've kept most of the more demanding inputs and added b:A JF, rewarding the player in terms of soul gauge and damage when using them.

Adding subtle visual feedback for 214 and 236 usuage is a welcome touch and kinda gives me a sense of superiority online lol. The soul gauge cost for using the simplified inputs could be higher or the rewards for complicated inputs higher, but oh well. I guess this is a good compromise.

Interesting. Added some depth while incorporating Souledge into her storyline, as least making her a teeny-tiny bit more relevant. Also gives you hope for future content, like the mystery woman who might become a new character in the long run. The Mitsurugi part was okay, too, making Relic a Shinden Tsushima-ryu battoujutsu move lol.

I liked that you get to fight invisible opponents, reminding me of the good old days of very unique challenges in Soul Blade/Edge.

This one is a bit of a disappointment for me, honestly. Personally, I think it leaves a lot to be desired. The ground especially and the space behind the gate seem empty and bland. The basic plain sunlight and the last-minute looking houses in the background don't help and only add to the impression of a rushed job. Last-gen flair, really. I much prefer Haohmaru's stage.

I hate the fact that the UNCOLOURABLE flower is tightly baked into her hair ornament ExEq, really limiting what you can do with it. Thus, it really dominates the look and catches your eye even if you don't want it to. Hopefully, they'll release separate versions of the hairpins and the flower in future updates.

The unisex haori is a welcome addition, as well as her SC4 1P. A plain, fully colourable version (without the dominatingly orange fox design and pink sakura blossoms) would be the cherry on the cake of future content, though. Also, how is the haori not compatible with the good old kimono?

Another minor let-down, to be true. Mostly comes off as a colour swap for the most part. Many weapons seem too similar to each other and it's really a missed opportunity that not a single one of the umbrellas has a repeating circular texture pattern arrangement (the frills on the Ridicule one don't count). I was hoping to make a swirl pattern for the umbrella, one with a simple circle and what not. While I feel this would not have been rocket science to implement, I accept this as a COVID/home office sacrifice, of course.

Although I think PS could have bought a low-budget standard everyday umbrella stock mesh model with a cane hilt to add more variety to the mix. I wonder if the no-umbrella version from story mode have a chance of being added further on.

So overall, I'm very satisfied with Setsuka's return. The points of critique are just nitpicking, especially in current times, really.
This is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping to see.

I want to dedicate this thread to see your opinion about the recently revealed character.

What you think of Setsuka's design?
What's your first impression of her gameplay?
How do you think her story will be?
What are your expectations of her full moveset and customizations?

1- I love it, though i still prefer her "unmatched" SC3 design (P1), but still love it, actually i think i love each design of her in each games, which i cannot say for every character in SC franchise. (cough cough Ivy, Yun, Kilik and Tira forex in SC4 cough cough)

2- She didn't feel totally overhauled which is great, and with a lot of new stuffs like all other characters. It will be interesting to see what she can do at the highest level, definitely one of my favorite character to play and watch.

3- Her story is really something awesome, just being able to see her younger, before she became the actual Setsuka, learning and seeing her master background, with Mitsu ect, all this is just awesome, and it's not a 2 minutes story ala SFV which i really appreciate, Tekken team has a lot to learn in this department btw, i mean like a LOT.

4- Character been release now so.... But i love the fact that she had her SC4 costume, also since it's free DLC i think PS should have put it as default costumes (like default 5 or something)

Last edited:
1- I love it, though i still prefer her "unmatched" SC3 design (P1), but still love it, actually i think i love each design of her in each games, which i cannot say for every character in SC franchise. (cough cough Ivy, Yun, Kilik and Tira forex in SC4 cough cough)

2- She didn't feel totally overhauled which is great, and with a lot of new stuffs like all other characters. It will be interesting to see what she can do at the highest level, definitely one of my favorite character to play and watch.

3- Her story is really something awesome, just being able to see her younger, before she became the actual Setsuka, learning and seeing her master background, with Mitsu ect, all this is just awesome, and it's not a 2 minutes story ala SFV which i really appreciate, Tekken team has a lot to learn in this department btw, i mean like a LOT.

4- Character been release now so.... But i love the fact that she had her SC4 costume, also since it's free DLC i think PS should have put it as default costumes (lie default 5 or something)
Thank you very much. I love seeing this kind of feedback

So, setsuka. I mean everyone sees it she is completely stupid this time.
She is a character who can poke you down with safe launchers with insane reach that all lead to amazing damage and multiple combo routes which arent even hard to confirm cause they dumbed down her execution imensely. Not only did they add cheat routes that basically make it possible for anyone to get combo follow ups but her actual justframes are also ridiculously easy compared to previous titles.The "easier" moves that cost meter are also a problem because the damage difference between the JF versions and the normal version isnt nearly high enough and the meter costs are a joke since you basically regenerate 90% of the meter you use when hitting the move Her new stances options are actually quite good and add another level of annoying to her moveset. Her Ce is whatever but her SC basically takes all the shit that she is good at and makes it even more unga i mean she has 190 dmg whiff punishers just beacuse she has sc, while not even having to really work for it because as mentioned shes pretty dumbed down.

So yea basically she is Apat levels of borderline broken all over again just worse because this time you dont even need to work for it.
Her only real "Issue" is that you can step her relatively well but does that actually matter alot compared to all the nonsense in her kit ? Porbably not

6 months ago, I wasn't a fan of Setsuka getting easier inputs of moves that were JFs in older games. Patch 2.20 Setsuka shortcuts like 6A+B & 3B+KB did as much DMG as the base moves 2143aB & 2143BB. I just complained to make sure Project Soul nerfed those moves for making them less effective. Patch 2.30 Setsuka is fine with her JFs mattering a little more since 4B:B get more meter. The only thing bad about Setsuka is Vernal Reflection on it's own. Run Counters via Sidestep & Backdash Counters count toward Wintry Reflection instead of Vernal Reflection. This only buffs JFU by 5 DMG. It should buff every JF by 5 DMG.

Back