Setsuka Matchups

Setsuka matchups

Check out the second post I made in this thread. It should give you an idea of what to look for when you fight Taki. Long story short, this match should be in Setsuka's favor. High whiff punishment eats Taki alive. The risk for Taki doing highs is very high here, since 1BA, POK, POA are high. Train yourself to react to her hover on reaction, and shake those POK stuns. She can be intimidating, but if you know what to look for, the matchup isn't as bad as it seems.

thanks, I will work on it. I think im still nervous fighting taki, but yes I fought my friend again last night and noticed high crush eats her lunch pretty good. Thanks for the reply.

working on getting comfortable with setsuka to make her a threat, lol slow going, but I did get the 1a:A:a jf in a match last night, online even! lol thats a step for me.

now if i could just get the umbrella every time I want to.
frame and tech traps next.. she's just so fun to play!

Setsuka matchups

IMO the easiest way to fight against Taki is just to space her out. 4A and 1B:B are gold against her.

For Cass, I generally step to her left since it avoids 236B. You can punish both 236B and 236 with 44B+K, but the latter is a bit difficult, so you may want to go with something more simple. She has a few canned strings where you can GI the last hit. I don't know the notation for these, but I think 236AB is one of them. Step is pretty effective against her since you can usually step at a safe range from her most used attacks. 4A is fairly effective here also. Her 33K on hit leads into a mixup where she has the option of doing an immediate high, a delayed mid, or usually a throw. I usually hold down block after being hit, while getting ready to break a throw or do something else just in case, since the delayed mid kick is GI'able on reaction.

For Sieg, tech crouching moves can be great here. Might be a good idea to become familiar with his strings. Most of his lows are seeable on reaction and can be punished. Kill all stance dancing with bA or 33B - it will shut it down as long as you don't freeze. His mixup, SSH I think, the one where he goes into stance and can either do that hard to see stun low or mid - both of those options are significantly punishable. I generally AA after blocked 3s.

Sophie...I'll do that later, or ask Maxou since he's good with that matchup.

Might help if you explain what exactly you're having trouble with too!

Well evidently, I have trouble with the sisters because of dumb little mistakes I do, in which I just found out, how to remedy, lol. Sophie's stab kinda kills me a lot though. Am I at a disadvantage with her or something? Because I find myself getting punished a lot by the sword stab, lol. Sometimes I do not know whether to go on the offensive or just try to be safe and build up a defense. As for Cassy, I guess it's more of a "what to punish" problem. She seems kinda safe, that or I am too slow/intimidated to throw in some offense. But I think I am getting the gist of what to do against Cassy and Sophie.

As for Siegfried, just the lows kinda get me, though I will admit I eat lows for breakfast and it is more of an issue of working on my defense. By the way, doesn't 33B wiff sometimes? Or am I just doing it at the wrong time? Though the bA didn't come to mind till you mentioned it, lol. Ahh, I so many things I have to remember!

At any rate I think I can remedy most of my problems with a good leveled head and some good defense. Then add some offense for pressure and I should do fine...right? Oh and is Siegfried's 3B punishishable? Or do I just keep blocking and look for a better opening? Also, against Cassy, can I punish her 1BB:A on block with anything? I don't know if I got the move right but it's the two sword hits, mids I think, with the JF High shield hit finish. Wait, can I just crouch the last hit or throw in a 214~3B:B?

Erm... just talking about it here because it won't interest a lot of people, if you are familiar with french (or if you want to try it with google translation), I made a Setsuka guide, including matches up in our french forum (still not finished for the match up).

Here's the link : here !

EDIT : tried it with google translation and it's horrible. So... :D

There is only Lizardman, Hilde, Cassandra at the moment.

For Cassandra : long story short, learn to step~G > direction of her shield, her antistep apart from AA/2A all have a weakness (unsafe, etc...). Be carefull when she steps/space you since she deals a lot of damage, but you'll most likely to deal more damage yourself, since you have stronger throws and have more punitions opportunities.

About her frame traps and tricks : 33K K / A+K can be "avoided" everytime you block it or get NH hit, duck a little after 33K in order to avoid the high K, and you can block the A+K. It's easy to do.

BK > can be ducked on reaction but it's hard. A guy in France in my area told me you could time a GI in order to GI the K and if she does BB you will block instead of GI (couldn't test it, so if you could do it that would be good).

Kakaroth : if the Cassy is 4B:B:A happy then it's good for you, since you can duck the third hit and do FC 3A+B for 70/75 dmg after the combo.

Back