Setsuka - Q&A Thread

To ask for the umbrella technique beter ask Doc! he has incredible succesfull rate of the JF umbrella, I can only tell you when you have to buffered it, because I only can do it in JF buffered :(
Trace, just practice it from a crouching position. Then use your Index finger to slide from A to B, it should work. (P.S. I can sometimes pull it off using my thumb)

You actually don't need to JF the umbrella for the grab, if that's what you're saying. :P And the damage between JF/Normal is negligable. As for the timing, I can't really help there, it's second nature to me. :/ I could check when I start inputting it when I get my PS3 back, though.

You actually don't need to JF the umbrella for the grab

I didnt actually know this; prior to reading these last few posts, ive always thought the throw finishes much later than it actually does. Getting a much higher success rate now, thanks!

What is important to learn with Setsuka is how to do Umbrella (Jf) fast from a neutral position. When you once have this down B+G Command Throw is not a big deal, you have plenty of time for Umbrella. You only need to know how to do Umbrella really really fast, i pretty much wait for the last hit of B+G and then just do JF Umbrella when she pulls the sword out, really late.

I recommend trying to punish some moves from neutral position. Kiliks 22AB for example, its -15 and has a long blockstun, so plenty of time and good training. Or try to interrupt Siegs 3B with Umbrella...

For more difficulty try to punish Cervantes 3B (-14) with JF Umbrella. If you can consistently punish those moves, B+G will seem super easy to you. Then you dont need to worry about timings and shit, cause your Umbrella input will be so fast that you have plenty of time for every combo she has...

Cytryz posted something a few pages back which helped me alot with getting a fast umbrella.

He suggested setting training mode to counter hit, doing 6K and then trying to get the umbrella to connect after that.

Not sure if this is the very best way to practice but it certainly helped me alot.

6K? I dont think Umbrella connects after ch 6K...am i wrong? one of the hardest ones is connecting it after ch WS B, but thats also dependent on angle etc.

I think the examples i mentioned are pretty good for the start :)

Haha, might explain why i can never get it then! xD

Although i certainly FEEL like im getting closer :P

Ill give those you mentioned a go too!

Argh umbrella is driving me crazy ...

When I use a PS dualshock controller, umbrella is difficult on the 2P side because I can't do the 214 slide smoothly (in the same direction as the thumb) ... when I use a Street Fighter pad, then umbrella is difficult on the 1P side ...

I also noticed that after a while, the D-pad plastic starts to heat up and becomes harder to slide ...

Argh God who designed us to torture us !? :sc3set1:

Argh umbrella is driving me crazy ...

When I use a PS dualshock controller, umbrella is difficult on the 2P side because I can't do the 214 slide smoothly (in the same direction as the thumb) ... when I use a Street Fighter pad, then umbrella is difficult on the 1P side ...

I also noticed that after a while, the D-pad plastic starts to heat up and becomes harder to slide ...

Argh God who designed us to torture us !? :sc3set1:

Hey i once recorded JF Umbrella on the Street Fighter Pad, which is absolutely he perfect pad for it imo.

The only important thing is not to do aB slide to early, you must be sure you do it after the 2143 motion...

hmm you only have to iput 33B from crouch...thats it. Or you input 2363B from crouch, a bit easier i guess.

Block Yoshis FC3K and train with that, you will find out whats easier for you...

Back