Setsuka - Q&A Thread

I really need help with the B+K-series. From the 2P-side, I can do it with like 80% success. But I have NEVER succeeded in doing the B+K-series from 1P-side.

Any special tips/tricks to do the B+K-series with Setsuka? I use a stick. Appreciate help.

I'd suggest practicing doing the first two parts of the move on both sides first. You'd want to input B+K61B moderately fast. Once you have that execution down, it's easier to start practicing the last part.

For the last part, you'd want to end by pressing B+K/A+B when you see her sword begin to slash down from its zenith of the second hit. That will give you the timing of the directional inputs for the third part.

Hi all,

I'm currently maining Mitsurugi and I'm already getting tired and bored of his moves.

So, regarding Sets, is there any good reason to main her?

Is she good in terms of speed, power etc.? Maybe a "Top 5 reason to use Setsuka"?

The question is not whether or not she's strong, but rather whether or not you can reach a good potential with her.

Setsuka is a very solid character. But unlike anyone else, she never gets lucky in a fight, ever.
If you did something strong, or impressive, it's because you worked your ass off to do exactly what you did.

With other characters, you might pull something off that will impress others and make you look like a pro, while in reality you lost control and just got lucky.
...Or you had control, but you didn't know that your move had such a nice property.
(Or you had perfect control, but it was a painfully simple execution that just needed a little bit of luck while everything else that you did during the rest of the fight was mundane and easy at best.)

Setsuka doesn't give you anything for free.

You don't play Setsuka because she's strong. You play her because simple characters like Mitsurugi and Sophitia make you feel like you're in a kindergarden for the mentally challenged.

(And if you point at my character icons and think that it's ironic that I play Maxi, I'll gladly explain why he's more difficult to play than a lot of characters.)

Thank you for the response.

Yeah, it's the B+K61B that I can't do. Is there some specific timing or should the input just be done as fast as possible?

As fast as possible on hit.

Also, the umbrella finisher can be done by pressing 1A+B just once so it's the easier of the finishers.

I'm beginning to think it's my stick that's bad (Hori EX 2 360). I can do it ~95% of the times now from 2P, and I can do the 61B without stress at all. I have never got it to hit on 1P yet, no matter if I mash the 61B as fast as possible, or if I press it more "precise".

Thinking of playing her with a pad. Is she playable on pad? Are her JF:s/inputs much harder?

I can do her JF stuff on a 360 pad on a 80%+ ratio and 360 pad sucks a big one so yeah.

Actually, I tried both the 360 and DS for PS3. I have more trouble with DS because of lack of diagonals and harder pad as in texture. 360 pad sucks for half circle motions and the like but since it has diagonals, the input is a bit better.

But yes, JFs are doable with practice of course.

I have my good and bad days. On a good day, I'm about 80% with Setsuka's JFs. On a bad day, less than 30%.

Plume, I looked at one of your old posts in cf.com, and there was the answer. Can get it almost 100% now from both P1/P2.

Plume said:
A) B+K, quickly followed by 6. Release everything, back to neutral (5) and release B+K.

Then, before the first attack ends...
B) 1, and while I'm holding it there, B. (I do the 1B commands exactly at the same speed as B+K6.)
Then release everything again.

Nice, I'm surprised that it's what you needed, but it's good to hear. :)

Edit
Perhaps I will try these mythical post 66K mixups. Maybe there's a use for that kick after all.

I saw your post two weeks late, and I noticed the word "mythical" one day late, heh...
I'm not sure why I started calling that a mixup, because it really isn't...
It's a little gimmick that should work a few times, there's nothing else to it.

66K's animation simply looks like it's over 9000 recovery frames... But with the back step and decently quick *and* long range follow up options that Setsuka has, it's very deceiving.
So they prepare to attack, and get caught by 11A. (Or umbrella, or 44B+K, or probably 33B, etc.)

Yeah, I said that because I didn't see how it was a "mixup," though I must admit I've tried it every so often and the 11A almost NEVER gets blocked so, mixup or not, it seems like a decent idea.

Hi All

I'm sorry to come again about this but well I can't make it for now and I'm really wondering why.

I'm speaking about A+K B UMBRELLA.

I heard a lot about timing buffer and this is things I understand but I can't do this particular combo.

Umbrella is hitting the opponent but well with Action 2 As Guard All I can't pass thru.

Is there anything specific to be sucessfull in it cause by now I have really no idea and want to make it right.

So if you can help me it will be a great help :)

A+KB to umbrella is probably by far the most difficult thing one has to learn when playing Setsuka, along with her command throw into umbrella. If it's being blocked, that means you're ending the 2143aB a few frames later than it should be. Practice doing it faster, and you'll be more successful with not only the umbrella connecting, but the JF as well.

I'm pretty new to Setsuka so this may sound very noobish...

but..

What is the purpose of 214 and 236 with Setsuka? Could I get an explanation on their uses, and how to use them effectively in a fight?
pretty good for dodging horizontals i've only done a few times but, it could also help in pulling off certain moves like her umbrella.

Ok but well lol

I'm playing soul since the first episode and I've never had such problems even with cs ou ss after gi or after whatever
maybe this awfull x360 pad (rip my old dreamcast one :s) but well ok i'll keep practicing thanks for your advices Shenrei

I'm playing soul since the first episode and I've never had such problems even with cs ou ss after gi or after whatever

CS and SS are very different from a JF, since you only have to deal with the timing of the directional inputs. JF umbrella you're adding the additional challenge of timing the :A:~:B: input, which is incredibly fast.

If you can pull off CS or SS after a GI in SC4, then I'd guess your problem is not the :2::1::4::3: input, but rather in the :A:~:B: input. Also, as has been pointed out before, you can't buffer the :2::1::4::3: too early (check the thread on Setsuka's JFs, found here).

Yes you right and I finally dit it.

For SS/CS I was speaking about the others soul by the way, but yes for ivy (in the 4) with a lil training there is no problem.

But well it's the first soulcalibur where I have so much trouble doing a buffer.

I think, as I have read in other places that the buffer timing is awfully strict now AND the X360 pad the worst ever made...

I have trained myself doing 3B UMBRELLA (JF) it has helped me to "catch" the timing.

I think that in this soulcalibur when u buffer your move you have to buffer it in order that directions must be done before the animation end at this time the input must be done. It's unlike the others souls where you can buffer your move release button with not such strict timing.

The difficulty there IMO is that A+K B required a lil study to know when we can do your move release it and push the buttons

Anyway, again, thx for your advices :)

Do you feel the same about buffering now ?

Buffers are a lot more strict now in the fact that you cannot buffer as early as was possible in the previous games. Some moves even require you to wait until an animation for a move has fully passed, before even registering inputs.

I tried doing the 2143 aB today and it's quite easy when I'm facing the right, but if I'm facing the left, then it's way harder, because the input is now on the other quadrant of the D-pad and the feeling is very stiff and awkward. :)

Btw, I've some questions on some of Sets' JFs:

1) I notice that 22A and 66A+B automatically puts her in BT stance, so I tried doing B+K:B as a follow-up.......but it's too slow.....the guy already falls onto the ground and then the B+K part comes out.
Is it even do-able? I mean, to do B+K:B after 22A and 66A+B?

2) Regarding B+K:B, do you need the B+K part to hit the opponent before the :B will come out?

3) Any tips to doing B+K:B accurately? IMO, among all of Sets' JFs, 1A:A:A is the TOUGHEST to pull off (due to 2 JFs), and 1B:B is the easiest.
As for B+K:B, do you do the :B part at the last moment before the B+K hits?
I can only get it like 5 / 10 times.

Heh, compiling all your questions would be a good start for a Setsuka FAQ.

22A ~ BT B+K:B is guaranteed if 22A is a counterhit.
(It seems to be a rather useless combo. 22A is dangerous to use, especially if you want a counterhit... 4A and 6K are better for fishing counterhits. And they both deal more damage with their respective combos.)

66B+K ~ BT B+K:B only works if they keep holding the block button or if they tech backwards or to Setsuka's right. So most of the time it won't hit.

2) Regarding B+K:B, do you need the B+K part to hit the opponent before the :B will come out?
Nope. You only need a contact for 1A : A : A

3) Any tips to doing B+K:B accurately?
It's difficult.
For starters, you should probably start getting the ordinary timing down... I suggest that you do A+K,A, wait, and perform BT B+K:B.

It should help you understand when you need to hit B... (Pretty much at the moment that the first strike hits the opponent.)

When you get it somewhat consistently, you can begin with 22A ~ BT B+K:B.
It's harder to execute, because it's possible to input BT B+K while Setsuka is not yet ready to attack.
It means that you're doing it during her buffer window...
Since BT B+K won't start until she's ready, you have to wait a little longer until you can do the ":B" part, or else it will be too soon.
For this reason, simple muscle memory might fail you.

...So, you need to either get the proper timing down for 22A ~ BT B+K (Wait until the buffer is gone), or you can learn an improper timing which let your input BT B+K during the buffer and requires that you input the last B later than usual.

For the improper timing, you can use visual cues to see when to input B, but it's not recommended. Muscle memory is better in the long run. It's more useful online, and it's more useful if you ever play with a different TV... (Like at a tournament or such.)

Learning the proper timing is probably much more consistent.

Back