Setsuka - Q&A Thread

Damn, I knew that move would be either very useful or very pointless depending on what it impacts, I had been hoping it would be mids and highs.

whats the best way to really punish people who stay grounded and roll?

i try to use a+k,b but it sometimes whiffs and seems to be easy to block on reaction in general... i need something strong to deter people from staying grounded so i can maintain the pressure.

1b:b is too weak, and can be rolled
33b is weak
a+k,b whiffs a lot for me and seems a big slow
66a+b is too slow and can be rolled

IMO 1B:B is the best ground punisher. It will only not track a roll when you start it too late. The damage is not that low for a ground hit either. Since if they get hit by the first one they will also get hit by the second one. If they refuse to get up after 1B:B, another 1B:B also can not be rolled. If they stand up blocking, well that's the point, plus a blocked 1B:B will generate space for you, allowing you to side step, back step, 4A and what not.

Damn, I knew that move would be either very useful or very pointless depending on what it impacts, I had been hoping it would be mids and highs.

I only had it impact once (outside of training mode)...
Usually they react too late, or they simply cannot reach and hit you on time because of their chosen attack.

It has its uses. If I took the time to practise the 11A counterhit combo, I'd probably abuse 66K a little more, because it baits counterhits quite well. They don't expect to see another attack come so soon and reach so far.

But I guess that it's not so hot offline, because even though you can mix up 11A and umbrella/44B+K, after a few times they'll probably just block mid and try to react to 11A if it's what's coming...

"mix up 11A and umbrella/44B+K"

That's a horrible mixup offline FO' REALZ.

11A is pretty easily blockable on reaction and both umbrella and 44B+K are quite punishable on block.

I still use 11A occasionally though, and when it hits, the mixup is between Throw or 33B (sometimes I'll do Umbrella if I know the opponent will try to attack with a fast retaliatory move). Both give more damage than Umbrella or 44B+K and both are much safer.

And for grounded people, 1B:B is king. Safe if they block quickly and semi-decent damage. It also tracks quite well, so I'm not sure how it's getting rolled for some peeps. I don't know how well (if at all ) 2B+K tracks but I also use that frequently on wake. It's got great frames on block (forces FC, too) and leads to more ukemi on hit.

Don't take it out of context, this "mixup" is somewhat viable after 66K, because people don't really know what to expect the few first times. If they think they have a nice window for an attack, 11A, umbrella and 44B+K are all quite nice.

I completely agree with you that on its own, 11A is pretty weak.

My context sense was not tingling.

I thought you were talking about mixups after 11A.

Perhaps I will try these mythical post 66K mixups. Maybe there's a use for that kick after all.

Setsuka's 11_77 A too risky?

A lot of this may have to do with the way I apply it, as it whiffs downed opponents. Is this move even worth it ? or should I just stick with substituting it with 11_77 K?

I suggest you give a look to the low safety thread of mine. It could help with some questions even if it ain't done yet.

11A is nice for anti-step, gives + frames on NH and on CH it gives a 70+ combo.

The risk/reward is nice on this move.

11K ain't that great though. Only good for oki and even then, there are better options for oki like 11B, 2B+K and 1B:B.

Wow... it really doesn't seem like that's 70+ damage.

I really need to work on my A+K B, JFU. You can end every combo with it and I only hit the umbrella maybe 1 in 5 attempts.

Wow... it really doesn't seem like that's 70+ damage.

I really need to work on my A+K B, JFU. You can end every combo with it and I only hit the umbrella maybe 1 in 5 attempts.

Step your A+K B game up son jk what up man!!!!!!GGs last night.

It may have its uses online, but I would use that move sparingly offline. However I think a good way to mess with people's heads is to 236 1A, just throws some people off. I agree that you should go for 11B instead though.

Most of the time, when an opponent is grounded, I like doing 1B:B as a tech trap, since it catches rollers, catches if they stay laying on the ground, and if they getup attacking, well, there's your combo then. Once they start getting into the habit of standing up right away to block the 1B:B, that's your chance to try and trick them into eating the low of your choice. Every so often I'll do 66A+B/2B+K if I think I can catch them and use their forced crouch position to my advantage.

Two questions:

1 - How many frames do you have to input a:B to get the JF umbrella in 214~3a:B? I've been practicing a lot, and have yet to see a single JF come out.

2 - I often find myself inputting 214 near the end of a move, trying to buffer it, and it doesn't come out. What are the buffering restrictions on 214/236, if any? Can it be buffered at all?

1- one frame slide. In first frame you must push A on second frame you must release A and push B.

2- Buffer is shorter so you must make it at the end of previous move animation. Go to practice mode and experiment:).

I really need help with the B+K-series. From the 2P-side, I can do it with like 80% success. But I have NEVER succeeded in doing the B+K-series from 1P-side.

Any special tips/tricks to do the B+K-series with Setsuka? I use a stick. Appreciate help.

Back