Some Speculation RE: the 20th Anniversary and SC6

Vermilingus

[05] Battler
Expect this to be long and rambly, it is mostly wild speculation but I thought I'd throw it into the ring.

So as we know all we've been getting regarding Soul Calibur 6 up until this point is essentially a bunch of teasing with no real substance.
We also know that Namco have paid attention to the 20th Anniversary and are definitely using it to drum up some attention to the franchise, clearly they wouldn't be doing this to simply let it die.

For a little while we've been sitting in a somewhat similar solution to the period before Soul Calibur 5's announcement; Harada has been lobbying for support "The Soul Calibur fans are still waiting" etc. just like before SC5. Just like before Harada is being vague but showing support for the project happening. The Facebook page's teasings from the last year show a similar hopeful vagueness.

With all this it would be absolutely moronic for Namco not to capitalize on all this free hype in some way, which brings me to my next point. We have 3 possibilities here. The first hinges on the fact that they've only just started the 20th Anniversary celebrations and I think it is leading up to December 20th. So far they are part way through the first rounds of their popularity contests, they are posting trivia, they brought it up at SDCC (no matter how fleeting) and now they want people to show their support online, build hype for them. It's free marketing. But I digress, the reason I say this is all building up is that their celebrations are for the 20th Anniversary, and the 20th Anniversary of Soul Blade's PS1 release won't be until December 20th, so I doubt we'll be seeing anything f0r a good few months.

The second is that they've teased a "secret game" for TGS 2016 and that it could well be Soul Calibur 6, supported by this exchange on Twitter. This would be opportune timing as Tekken 7 would be well out on consoles by then so they could safely say that they are fully dedicated to the next Soul game and it won't be competing for attention like 5 did with Tekken Tag 2. This is also the first of my theories that can possibly be confirmed as TGS 2016 takes place in mid-September.

The third is that they aren't working on anything and I'm talking out of my ass, but I'd really rather that not be the case.

I know this has been long and strangely incoherent so as a thanks if you stuck it out this far here is a picture of a turtle eating mashed potato.

The second is that they've teased a "secret game" for TGS 2016 and that it could well be Soul Calibur 6, supported by this exchange on Twitter. This would be opportune timing as Tekken 7 would be well out on consoles by then
The release date for T7 is actually early 2017.

Back