Sophitia General Discussion / Q&A

Suirad

[10] Knight
Not that this is the most frequented Soul Arena on 8 way run, but I have noticed that some relatively random threads pop up from time to time. Hence this thread; if you have anything you want to ask or a specific point to make post it here. I'll start closing then deleting the threads that seem irrelevant after they go inactive for a while in the interests of keeping everything looking clean.

8A
B
B2(B) 2nd B dependent on proximity. This is on block, if they start blocking after getting hit then that's when they'll start being pushed back.
WR K
4B+K
66A+B
All push back opponent on block without moving forward much and except for B2(B) and 66A+B(depends) recover fast enough to step afterwards as well

22B will push back a lot on block relative to where you started if you were close enough for its forward movement to be cancelled out.

BB
1B
44B+K

All create a little room, but not much. BB, 1B, 6K and 3K fast recovery for step.

As for hit practically anything that causes knockdown will reasonably allow you to space.

WS K is her best spacing move. It's also one of her safest moves, so you can easily step or take advantage of sophie's speed at the range you've just created through the use of counter hits.
6B should also push them out too.
But it does alarm me that Suirad the Sophitia Guru didn't list these two as these are my primary spacing moves.

Other ways of moving your opponent on block:
7A - turns them to face their left
WSK - turns them to face their right
4B and 44B+K - makes them crouch

Suirad the Sophitia Guru

I find that very funny. There are much better Sophies out there beleive me.

Anyway yes WS K spaces a lot. 6B doesn't really create a lot of distance on block because it moves in. It does maintain it though and has good range. You could also use 3A like that if you wanted.(i.e. to maintain distance)

Sorry just asking how does 1B and 3K look like?

3K is horizonal travelling mid spin-kick. It looks the same as one of her 8 way run kicks (22K) which is almost the same move. 1B is an overhead slash she produces while ducking(it still gets hit by a lot of highs though). This move also has an identical looking counterpart in FC B

Anyway 88A and A+K also turn opponent to their right
8B+K, 8A+KB also force crouch

A few of the players I play already know about the tech trap of 236236AA after 22_88A. If they stay down with no tech, can we hit them with B2BBB or 44B+K then follow up with 236236AA? Would it work as a tech trap after they get hit by the moves as they recover?

B2 series wont work because they can try to get up in response to it, and they'll at most take the first hit. Plus even if they stay down they are face-up so left and right tech will beat 236263AA. 66B+K wouldnt work out because it doesnt hit grounded, doesnt knockdown etc. If by chance you meant 44B+K they can wait and block, and even if they teched into a hit you would need a nearby wall or edge to get 236236AA to catch tech. The best thing I know to do when oppnent waits on the floor after 22A is 66B. It'll hit them for 25 or so and push them away, so once again no 236236AA followup. Sophie in general doesn't threaten downed opponent's enough to make them want to tech sadly.

Is 33B her only reverse ring out move? It is not that safe and after A+B K counter, 236B doesn't connect anymore, does it? In reply to the previous post I meant that since ppl start to stay on the ground in fear of the 236236AA tech trap, after 22_88A, we immediately do B2 series or 44B+K, they will get hit by it since they will wait a while thinking sophitia will do 236236AA. Then as they recover from the ground after those hits, can 236236AA act as a tech trap? Is rolling on the ground to left or right but not recovering evade 236236AA after 22_88A?

Is 33B her only reverse ring out move? It is not that safe and after A+B K counter, 236B doesn't connect anymore, does it? In reply to the previous post I meant that since ppl start to stay on the ground in fear of the 236236AA tech trap, after 22_88A, we immediately do B2 series or 44B+K, they will get hit by it since they will wait a while thinking sophitia will do 236236AA. Then as they recover from the ground after those hits, can 236236AA act as a tech trap? Is rolling on the ground to left or right but not recovering evade 236236AA after 22_88A?

Unless you count 88B+KAB, then yeah, 33B is the only reverse RO move I can think of. Try adding on BT B+K after hitting with either of these moves if you're looking for a reverse RO, since it sends the opponent flying comically far away from you.

The start up for 44B+K is really long, so I think your opponent would have to be pretty rattled to stay down and eat that, even if they're afraid of 236236AA. Personally, I don't use Sophie's tech traps much.

Is 33B her only reverse ring out move? It is not that safe and after A+B K counter, 236B doesn't connect anymore, does it?
It does but the timing is not the same as A+K. If you want an easier option do 66B after instead. It'll hit them on the floor for similar damage.

In reply to the previous post I meant that since ppl start to stay on the ground in fear of the 236236AA tech trap, after 22_88A, we immediately do B2 series or 44B+K, they will get hit by it since they will wait a while thinking sophitia will do 236236AA. Then as they recover from the ground after those hits, can 236236AA act as a tech trap? Is rolling on the ground to left or right but not recovering evade 236236AA after 22_88A?

My answer to this is basically the same as before, but lets try again. Opponent will not likely get hit by either unless they react very slow. If they stay on the ground for all of JF B2 series and you end before the 236B, 236236AA wont catch all directions (misses left and right) and that is the best tech situation B2 series will give. If you hit with 44B+K it won't give you anything unless they were standing and then if an obstacle keeps them from traveling the full distance you can trap their tech.

The short of this is no, it doesn't really work, certainly not well enough to discourage them lying on the ground.

So.. anyone else use WS moves out of angel step? They freeze up expecting a deathfist and they get a WS A+B_[A+B] (Not sure if that mixup holds up in higher level play)
You can also grab out of it but it won't be quick enough unless you time it to perfection.
Another possibility is WS K (-2 on block), starts a sort-of frame trap pushes back out of range of anything that will beat a 236B.

I've recently started doing B+G_66A+G/66K out of it. I don't think you could do that all day long, but it's worked ok for me so far. By the way you can cancel some of the ending animation of AS and TAS by pressing 6(for standing) or 2G(for FC) at the right time, it works sort of like RCC and makes the grab not so impossibly slow. The 2G lets you transition TAS into TAS again, though I haven't found much use for that yet. Stepping(normally) after AS/TAS might be a good idea too, but havent explored that fully.

What 2G can do is make your AS look like an TAS. Do this by holding G while you input 236, the same as FC and then do 36. If you hadn't noticed, the result is something like an instant super-tech crouch that goes under many horizontal and linear mids as well as highs and throws. You can prolong it by holding G 236236236236.
Another teching anomaly I've found is with 4B+K. Consisently I can dodge some mids like Sophie and Kilik's 3B.
One more ridiculous tech: B+K - tech jumps and tech side-steps! That alone has the power to nullify sound mixups like Taki's sky teleport or Yoshi's low helicopter! (sorry don't know what they're called)

What 2G can do is make your AS look like an TAS.

Yeah I know I like that too but what I was talking about was this:
You can prolong it by holding G 236236236236.

You're doing the 2G cancel I was talking about in the process, allowing you to go into TAS again. Anyway you can use that 2G to stop AS or TAS short for quicker FC or WS options.

One more ridiculous tech: B+K - tech jumps and tech side-steps! That alone has the power to nullify sound mixups like Taki's sky teleport or Yoshi's low helicopter! (sorry don't know what they're called)

Just watch out though the TJ starts fairly late so theres a good chance you wont jump DGF K on wake. Also it still gets hit by DGF A. As for taki hover, back jump defeats it anyway and leaves you in a better situation.

But yeah in general linear mid + low/grab mix-up will get beaten.

Can someone compile a list of attacks that can be punished by 236B? It will be greatly appreciated!

Can someone compile a list of attacks that can be punished by 236B? It will be greatly appreciated!

It's pretty much every move that's -14 on block. That's a whoooooooole lotta of moves. I may do it when I have time, though I still have to get off my ass and tidy up the auto-GI thread.

anything you can punish with at least b,b or ws B you should be able to get a stab. at least, that's what i test by if I'm in the middle of a match and I'm not sure. But yea, like Dully said, it's a lot of things.

Back