Sophitia General Discussion / Q&A

Ive never noticed 44K to catch step and I use the move a decent amount, especially in some match-ups(*cough* kilik). When I was out in norcal krayzie was stepping 44K with kilik, maxi et al. all over the place. I wont say it never works cause I havent tested every possibility(obviously) but if 44K was good anti-step, everyone would be using it (safe, hard to step+G, strong CH damage, body attack, mid, good range) way more than they do now, I'd think.

Krazie does that work with Sophie's 236A (i18) as well?

No because Maxi's RO B will beat any option that is -15 or slower. 236AA would also lose to 3B into PSL3 horizontal auto GI but no one ever really does that lol. However 236AA will beat out his best option after 3B which is RO A, and it also beats RO K. Beating out 2/3 of his best options out of RO would be worth giving a shot IMO. Especially in this case because if you force him to start doing RO B on you, it's unsafe and if you block it you can punish being that you're Sophie, the bitch with the best punisher in the game.

Suirad: What does 44K look like again, I don't remember it?

Kick to the nuts. She takes a lil half step forward first. I also fully agree with your maxi discussion, AS AA does good damage and the primary reason not to use it is that it could be blocked(Although I dont know that maxi has a good punish for it). Maxi doesnt have that option against AS AA and the ones he does are, as you say, rather risky.

Although TAS B is i15, REALISTICALLY should a Sophie player punish say: Siegs 3A - a -15 mid with TASB, or just go for the more reliable (in my experience) AS B? I've tried punishing with TAS B and my limit as it is 236236 is -19, is this just a question of practice or on reaction is it possible?
Newbie question I know, but I'm hardly a decent Sophie...

The best way to find out for yourself is by going into training mode.

TAS B is i15, but Sieg's 3A is -15 on block, so it's not going to punish if the Sieg player blocks immediately after. Use AS B.

I meant I can't personally punish it with TAS B, I just meant is it feasible to use TAS B at close range and have it come out, including input as i15? Jeez...

The best way to find out for yourself is by going into training mode.

TAS B is i15, but Sieg's 3A is -15 on block, so it's not going to punish if the Sieg player blocks immediately after. Use AS B.
Actually it IS going to punish. -15 on block = can block starting frame 16.
BUT wiki framedata abhors data fluctuation, so -15 can actually mean "-15 only point blank near the wall/corner".
Also keep in mind that to buffer 236236 you will spend some time, which SC new buffering system lacks. So many moves has such a small buffer window its nearly impossible to input 236236 before recovery ends. Thats why most Sophie players dont try to punish with TAS unless blocking at least -18 moves.

yea, usually we post the slowest speed of the fastest input of a move, and we post the slowest recovery time(unless knowing the range is important because the move is adjustable, but yea, stuff like siegs a+kA{A} i believe when zombiebear and i were doing the frame testing can be +1 and very rarely +2 on grd, through range dependancy i think. siegfrieds AA also has this(its i17 at point blank range)

but unfortunately i just tested this in practice mode and well unfortunately i had no problem buffering TAS B to punish this move. thats not to say i could do it in a real game though...but in this particular case it felt rather easy to buffer, so i think i could probably see skilled sophie players whipping this out if a sieg is abusing 3A.

Hmm... In a fight I can punish i18-19 but that seems to be my absolute limit. Ah well AS B:4 is hardly weak punishment, thanks belial.

when i used to practice a lot Tas B punishment was not TOO difficult but it required pattern analysis! only way i did it on the regular

well, practice makes perfect, probably.
You can see in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKXip5fIkJE - really sick execution of TAS B. Notable 3B and RLC B punished by TAS B. Jesus...
yeah at longer ranges you get a tipped TAS B on blocking RLC B, too. Punishing 3B with with TAS B is nuts, though.

but unfortunately i just tested this in practice mode and well unfortunately i had no problem buffering TAS B to punish this move. thats not to say i could do it in a real game though...but in this particular case it felt rather easy to buffer, so i think i could probably see skilled sophie players whipping this out if a sieg is abusing 3A.

Drop sieg and main sophie please.

Drop sieg and main sophie please.
lol but my sophie blows chunks! only reason im so good at TAS B is because i go online and spam iTAS B grd iTAS B all day lol. and besides it would be kind of awkward if the siegfried SA had a moderator that didnt use siegfried...lol. if you want me to pick her up in place of 1 of my 4 tertiary characters i suppose i could do that...unless its hilde...thats a nono. hilde + sieg = <3 remember?

Double no-no, Unofficially Sieg players get to second one top tier each - I get Sophie, you get Hilde and Jink & Pantocrator get each other :3

Although most of the relevant discussion on this question has already been covered I wanted to mention that, as far as I know, TAS B does not have a variable impact frame, so if you do it at it's fastest it will land in 15 frames, regardless of distance(although the move properties at its tip under go some change). Personally, I have a hard time using TAS B to punish most moves, in game, that are close to what is possible for several of the reasons mentioned above and also combined with the fact that B has input priority in AS over 236. It seems like for most moves one could, with the appropriate amount of effort(could be a lot depending on circumstance), learn an acceptable input timing to punish any specific move with TAS B, then as Ramon mentioned attempt to anticipate it so you can react faster when you block it and get TAS B out a decent amount of time. For practical reasons though I think this should be limited, if you're going to try to do it at all, to punishing moves that are very important to deprive your opponent. I'll just stay lazy and stick with AS B myself.

To be fair, AS B:4 is still good punishment & TAS B is easy against the more unsafe moves, not to mention it's uses with whiff punish.
55 damage is still pretty good even if 80 is possible :/

Online you have to see unsafe moves in their startup animation in order to react fast enough to punish them. So maybe offline I'll have an easier time. But more likely I'll buffer everything too early...

I'm starting to mistrust TAS B as sidestep whiff punishment, it just takes too long to do without having a buffer window. The pullout seems impossible from the side or back as well, so max is 50 damage which is easily dominated by 33K or 3B into TAS B. As a ranged whiff punish, TAS B is still king.

Also in the process of testing the TAS pullout I noticed two interesting things:

It's very difficult to immediately TAS after any step. It's probably just from not starting the motion from neutral hand position that I'm used to. Definitely something to practice.

The other thing is unrelated, but I just now noticed you can't guard or step out of her sidestep immediately, but you can attack immediately. If you hit the up or down input very briefly and hit guard, she won't guard until the step is finished. Attacking, however, cancels the step wherever she is. To get a faster guard canceled step it looks like kG is the fastest way. Maybe a fastest 44aB:G but that's a bit much. Back steps and step-ins can still be canceled with guard or attacks, though. I doubt this is character specific but that might make TAS B extra slow after a sidestep because it looks like she waits for the sidestep to end before doing the angel step movement.

I already knew about this next one but if you attack in the middle of your sidestep with a directional move in the same direction as a sidestep, you'll do the 8WR version of that move. So stepping in the 2 direction and inputting 3B before the step ends will give you 33B. Stepping the 8 direction instead allows access to every move. You can also hit a direction (6, for example), then hit and hold the direction (6) and then move it to any direction to get any 8WR move (65,63214K for 44K, a nice step in kick if done properly).

Other moves I use on occasion using this technique:

65, 63214A for a smooth step-in 44A. Like a slower, safer, stronger 66A. Better tracking too, I think. Sounds like a weird way to input it but it's much smoother and feels more natural on a stick than 65, 44A. The 5 represents returning to neutral for the quick step to trigger and a short delay to allow the step to get close to finishing.

65, 63214K for a smooth step-in 44K. TAS B or a step-in BB could replace this most of the time, but 44K gives you a nice -6 and small pushback to work with, and starts some gimmicky tech traps on CH. It only really has its use when facing deadly aGIs that can be beaten with mid kicks. Also notice Sophie's lack of options to work with when chasing down some backstep-happy players. On one hand, you have TAS B and 66A, but if they block it you're right in their face at -10 and -12 respectively, which is not the best position to be in. On the other, you have step-in BB which is as safe as 44K but with less reward on CH.

8,9B or 2,3B for a fast 33B whiff punish. I usually do this on accident from trying to whiff punish with 33B but I'm surprised it's landed every time. 76 damage with a the TAS B followup or big reverse RO. An asset to have for seesaw matches. But it makes me think I could be whiff punishing with 66B or 2, 36B since 33B is a frame slower and it's landing no problem. And 66B b2:B:B:B236B is easier on a side hit (that's the impractical but strongest followup).

65, 6321A for a step-in 11A. Idk, 44 and especially 11 motions just bother me because of the slight backstep you get unless you buffer it during guard.

45, 4789 6A or 6B+K. ...Mindgames?

Let me know what you guys think of these tools.

Hi guys, I'm really trying to get into sophie and I ask, is there any video showing how to -acurately- (that is, not mashing) how to do the last hit of 236B:4 or 236236B:4 ? I mean the ':4', I find this particular move hard to do.

Back