Sophitia General Discussion / Q&A

It's better to punish whiffed throws with TAS B:4. In tournaments, I don't want to drop any combos and miss out on opportunities to take life. Plus TAS B:4 is easier to perform, is faster, and does more damage.

And if I knew the opponent was going to whiff, then other options would trump FC 1B. Or when in doubt, just stab a bitch.

Hey all.. can anyone possibly help me figure out sophie's counter to Mitsu's Relic pressure? ...she doesn't seem to have a lot of options vs this.. =_=

...at the moment, only thing that works is to anticipate it coming before his inital approach.. then use 8B+K 'quake-stun' to shake him out of it.. hoping in hell that he forgets he can 'hop' during stance.. >_< lol!

...any ideas on this?

Keep your spacing - most mitsu players are overly aggressive in relic, make a quick back step and see what he does, you should be out of range of the a/b. Wait for your opening and punish him - simple :)

Keep your spacing - most mitsu players are overly aggressive in relic, make a quick back step and see what he does, you should be out of range of the a/b. Wait for your opening and punish him - simple :)

..thanks for that man, I'll keep that in mind. ^_^

though as i said.. if i'm at a point where there's space enough for me to see the relic rush coming.. my immediate goto was 8B+K for the stunshake to get him off of relic..

..the backjumps/steps seems to get caught by RLC B lots of times too.. & u knw how many times i tend to 'jump back' during rounds.. >_< lol!

as belial said one time.. 'sophie doesn't really have an answer to mitsu's relic stance...'

...& I'm beginning to believe him.. =/

If he enters relic and too close to backstep, he's made a mistake - he is in grapple range. If he properly relic pressures you, then just kick him in the balls =\

If he enters relic and too close to backstep, he's made a mistake - he is in grapple range. If he properly relic pressures you, then just kick him in the balls =\

hmmm... 44k? ...that'll definitely kick him in the balls.. >_<

...but is it fast enough to beat out the other relic options?

...I guess I could try it next time I meet Zaigonen... he better be wearing 'protective cups' >_< hehehe..

you have to sort of guess vs mitsu. backdash is a good option, tasa and tasb are always good post backdash...really you have to guess and see if the mitsu has any real pattern. myself i'll almost always backdash into either tasa, tabs, or 44b. another good option is to step in on him w/ 3_1g and remember that RLC a,b,or k alone all give you 236b:4 on block.

you have to sort of guess vs mitsu. backdash is a good option, tasa and tasb are always good post backdash...really you have to guess and see if the mitsu has any real pattern. myself i'll almost always backdash into either tasa, tabs, or 44b. another good option is to step in on him w/ 3_1g and remember that RLC a,b,or k alone all give you 236b:4 on block.

hhhmm... might try the 'step-in, block & punish' option... didnt realise RLK k ws 'deathfist-able' lol!

thnx for the response guys.. ^_^

yeah be careful. the shitty thing is that RLC k is next to impossible to react to so eating it is usually your best option...and pretty much any mitsu is gonna do RLC k~RLC and be at +2 or 3. as long as you are patient, though and not attacking after he hits RLC k...you can pretty effectively shut down his mixup from RLC...you just gotta eat that damn k all day, which is still not a great option imo.

backdash.

geejay008: Well, all that sophie has against stance is 236B, unfortunately, she cannot really mix it up with a throw as on RLC it becomes backthrow which kinda sucks. And 236A unfortunately second hit will wiff against RLC B, so its not much dmg and leave you vulnerable. Only good thing - sophie can punish 11K with 236B for free.
Otherwise its always a mix up. On far ranges mitsu should beware spacing sophitia, since it can lead to TAS B TAS B ridic combo, upclose relic you really have to rely on your ability to force a responce from mitsu player and get ready to spam 236B whenever something happens. It is good when character has one good aswer that punish everything so you dont have to think about technical stuff. Get your 236B ready at all times, dont duck RLC A just 236B it etc. I'd start with putting this 236B to use, but like I said it is still a losing battle as there is no good high/throw mix up.

i have a friend who uses mitsu, and even through he is not a serious player im always losing confidence when forced to resist his RLC. And thats when i've come to realise that sentence:
Or when in doubt, just stab a bitch.
is the purest form of true wisdom on the whole 8wr forums.

From my experience FC AS K is a decent high vs RLC. Post RLC [K] its the one that's going to give you the best damage/situation and not also lose to RLC A. It also (iirc) trades with RLC K after RLC [K] NH for KND which is really useful.

At pretty much any time mitsu is in RLC (except after a few bad transitions) he has an answer for anything you do. If you can make the player use more of those options to defeat you, then the guessing game becomes harder for them, which can ameliorate the pressure it brings by varying degrees.

While knowing your options vs different things mitsu can do in RLC helps a lot, as was mentioned before beating RLC is mostly about not being near mitsu while he is in it. If you try to keep mitsu out more and dont wake into RLC after KND etc, you wont have to deal with it as much (you'll have to deal with other stuff, but at least that stuff isnt RLC).

What is the best way to stop opponents from doing that irritating thing I call moving?
Currently my step killer is 66A, 3A even though the frames are horrible and TAS A, but does she have more effective step killers at mid, close and long-range?

she has some pretty grand step killers. 4a is fantastic or even 4(a). her 2a is on par with the best. i don't really like her 66a or her 3a. i prefer to use ASa 1k or 44k if i am getting rushed down...i know ASa is unsafe but it has great TC frames and i still use it. as for distance step killers? well sophie is kinda a double edged swprd. you always wanna get away to get her big damage whiff punishes and great turtle game, but you can't really contain step anywhere but up close. if you see a pattern in step use 22_88a for good dmg, step kill, and tech trap oki options, otherwise try and keep them jailed with 4a and remember that many of her moves (44k, 1k, 22_99a+b, 9k) will actually track quite well at very close range.

long range? man, you already get 120 DMG on a whiff...do you really need to contain step?

and a note on some earlier posts...in the case of a throw whiff i'd beeline to 44b~TASb...but that's just me...

OK, thanks man, and no a half the health bar whiff punish is not enough! XD
On a serious note, I love 2A - great poke but I never really considered 4A =S
Time to go practice!

66A and 3A are good step killers, but their primary use is not for close range. 66A can be stepped up close and 3A's frames are lousy on hit and block, so you want it to connect not too close. Main difference between them is 66A closes distance while 3A doesnt (at least not much). 4A is useful if you want a safer anti step option at that range, but it's high (so dangerous if opponent can guess) and the payoff in terms of damage/positioning is bad unless you tack the B on, at which point it's unsafe. Be warned 1K and 2A dont completely cover step(same for 3K sometimes also used as anti step). 44K Ive seen consistently stepped both ways, even by characters with pitiful step.
If you're in AA range you should probably be using that as it never gets stepped, has good range and doubles as a solid poke. 3K and 2A are decent if you're willing to trade getting stepped every so often for not being duckable. Also remember sophie's throw cant be stepped, in case you're close enough to use it. AS A is great if you know it will hit, but depending on opponent and their character possibly very bad on block so use it strategically(it does as mentioned have sophie's fastest TC property and some good players notably belial can be seen to use it frequently). Finally 22A while a good move and difficult to step, rarely actually catches steppers since its slow, allowing them to block it in reaction to your movement.

suirad = knows far more sophie than me. suirad do you not use 44k up close? it seems to kill step pretty well and create distance. maybe i just play too much online.

Back