Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
what characters from the games before 5 would you want in the game, lets say you could pick 4 characters max, so for example i'd like Nightmare, Ivy, Astaroth and Aeon

I only care about Talim and Raph from the previous games. Though Zasalamel is a great character along with Tira. So for me, it'd be those four.

Personally, for SC6 I'd wish they bring every character back, except maybe the SCV additions because of the story cannon but there are ways around that (like having two separate current/future story-lines, or even past for that matter), and add a bunch of new characters, at least 4. Give them new styles, not necessary new weapons, but it's important that they play different from the others. Flash the clone characters gameplay out more and make it worthy of calling its own.
They could adapt the same policy as DOA5, adding new characters and content continuously over a longer period.
As far as the gameplay is concerned, I'd prefer if they stick to their roots and abandon the changes made in SCV (aka all the Street Fighter stuff) and critical finish. Make it closer to the older SC games or even improved SCIV and add a new, simple but effective mechanic. That can be more than enough if executed well, in my opinion, but the hard part of course is thinking of one.
And for gods sake give it a meaty single player mode worth playing. It will attract more gamers, like people that previously never played SC before meaning more sales. Take a hint how Netherrealm studios handles this and go even a step further. Just Arcade mode and 1-2 hours story-mode is by far not enough these days. Good online multiplayer should be a given.
As far as guest characters go... I'm fine with none, as long they create good new characters themself. IMO guest characters aren't really all that... they only last one game in the series and usually don't really fit into the SC universe.
Well that's roughly about it... But knowing of the current state of the series and especially Namcos, I know this is more wishful thinking than anything else :(.

Personally, for SC6 I'd wish they bring every character back, except maybe the SCV additions because of the story cannon but there are ways around that (like having two separate current/future story-lines, or even past for that matter), and add a bunch of new characters, at least 4. Give them new styles, not necessary new weapons, but it's important that they play different from the others. Flash the clone characters gameplay out more and make it worthy of calling its own.
They could adapt the same policy as DOA5, adding new characters and content continuously over a longer period.
As far as the gameplay is concerned, I'd prefer if they stick to their roots and abandon the changes made in SCV (aka all the Street Fighter stuff) and critical finish. Make it closer to the older SC games or even improved SCIV and add a new, simple but effective mechanic. That can be more than enough if executed well, in my opinion, but the hard part of course is thinking of one.
And for gods sake give it a meaty single player mode worth playing. It will attract more gamers, like people that previously never played SC before meaning more sales. Take a hint how Netherrealm studios handles this and go even a step further. Just Arcade mode and 1-2 hours story-mode is by far not enough these days. Good online multiplayer should be a given.
As far as guest characters go... I'm fine with none, as long they create good new characters themself. IMO guest characters aren't really all that... they only last one game in the series and usually don't really fit into the SC universe.
Well that's roughly about it... But knowing of the current state of the series and especially Namcos, I know this is more wishful thinking than anything else :(.

I realized that there is a distinct difference between what a Soul Calibur game should be and what we want it to be.

In my honest opinion, I feel that best course of action would be to stick with the game mechanics, story, and characters SCV introduced and further develop them. I fear that if they use the game mechanics and characters from the old games, people will just see it as just a rehash of what they did before. However, I would still welcome some of the old characters return.

I do agree that more content is needed to keep people interested in the games. Not just more single player modes, but more multi player modes as well.

My ideal Soul Calibur game is one that can appeal to both casual and competitive gamers. Such task is easier said than done, but if the most recent Super Smash Bros. game can do it, I think the Soul series can do it, too.

Last edited:
I realized that there is a distinct difference between what a Soul Calibur game should be and what we want it to be.

In my honest opinion, I feel that best course of action would be to stick with the game mechanics, story, and characters SCV and further develop them. I fear that if they use the game mechanics and characters from the old games, people will just see it as just a rehash of what they did before. However, I would still welcome some of the old characters return.

I do agree that more content is needed to keep people interested in the games. Not just more single player modes, but more multi player modes as well.

My ideal Soul Calibur game is one that can appeal to both casual and competitive gamers. Such task is easier said than done, but if Smash Bros. can do it, I think the Sol series can do it, too.
I think they'll avoid the "rehash" complaints if the game looks and feels new enough. Looking at successful games like SF4 (which leaned heavily on characters and ideas from SF2) or Mortal Kombat 9 (which leaned heavily on characters and ideas from MK1-3), I think it would be a smart idea of Namco to take a step back and take advantage of people's nostalgia and what they consider to be classic for the series. I'm willing to bet there's far more people who'd like to see Taki return than Natsu for instance.

They could pull an MK9 and reboot the series.
You must not be reading on news for the next Mortal Kombat game......

What I would like in SC6? Really a Khan Super Session-like soundtrack for the next game......

..........and Riki.

I believe SCVI is in development actually.

I think so too in an interview way back they said they were panning on continuing the series. Next gen entices alot of devs. Unbreakable Swords and Lost Swords probably provided a decent starting budget especially since PS admitted it was a pay to win game.

I bet we'll get an announcement after Tekken 7 comes out and the majority of its DLC has been released. They probably dont want unnecesarry competition between fighting games since both Tekken and Soul Calibur are under BandaiNamco.

With Tekken 7 coming out at the end of 2015 they probs wont reveal Soul Calibur 6 until 2016 and it probs wont come out til 2017. I could be totally wrong but thats what im thinking.

I hope not though cuz we're gonna be sitting here talking about this game for a long time...

I think so too in an interview way back they said they were panning on continuing the series. Next gen entices alot of devs. Unbreakable Swords and Lost Swords probably provided a decent starting budget especially since PS admitted it was a pay to win game.

I bet we'll get an announcement after Tekken 7 comes out and the majority of its DLC has been released. They probably dont want unnecesarry competition between fighting games since both Tekken and Soul Calibur are under BandaiNamco.

With Tekken 7 coming out at the end of 2015 they probs wont reveal Soul Calibur 6 until 2016 and it probs wont come out til 2017. I could be totally wrong but thats what im thinking.

I hope not though cuz we're gonna be sitting here talking about this game for a long time...
Actually, I remember last year hearing that Hoshino is working on four different projects. We can assume that three of those projects were HD Online, Lost Swords, and Unbreakable Soul. So what's that forth project? It has to be SCVI. And I imagine it coming sooner than that. SCV and TTT2 were released in the same year after all, so it's not like they're scared of them competing.

Hoshino mentioned that he is also involved in the Pokkén Tournament project with Harada . The game is completed up to 30% . -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokkén_Tournament
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokkén_Tournament
I think SC6 will be probably announced mid-2016 , during next E3 or something like that ..
2 months ago, I wrote on the official SC Facebook page about all the people bitching for Lost Sword and said something like "It's not the entire PS Team fault if they were given less time to develop SC5 ,stop blaming them like spoilt children, it's not a black or white situation . We all know that Lost Sword is a transition, it is better to let them more time to switch to the next-gen and make the next SC even better" .
This comment has been "liked" by the Soulcalibur page administrator, which is somewhat unusual (maybe by Hoshino himself because of his strong relationship with fans on social networks) -> it could be a proof that we'll get SC6 after that transition, and as you said, after all the DLC ect ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back