Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also the Star Wars guests being a bad idea is just an opinion which everyone is perfectly entitled to, changes nothing about what a bold move it was and the move still does more to keep SC in the public consciousness today than most other guests before or after for the time being at least regardless of opinions whether they 'fit' or not .
I disagree. One of the frequent complaints about SCIV, even from people who reviewed the game, was that the StarWars characters ruined the aesthetics of the game. If you played Vader, Yoda, or the Apprentice vs another StarWars character, especially within the StarWars stages, it wouldn't look like a SoulCalibur game at all. It'd be a StarWars fighter. Hell, Project Soul even said they were out of place. Guests like Link, Kratos, and Ezio were far more appropriate, because their designs and fighting styles fit in with SoulCalibur's time periods and aesthetics. StarWars's inclusion felt like an experimentation and a way to market The Force Unleashed (and it wasn't subtle about it).

Last edited:
I disagree. One of the frequent complaints about SCIV, even from people who reviewed the game, was that the StarWars characters ruined the aesthetics of the game. If you played Vader, Yoda, or the Apprentice vs another StarWars character, especially within the StarWars stages, it wouldn't look like a SoulCalibur game at all. It'd be a StarWars fighter. Hell, Project Soul even said they were out of place. Guests like Link, Kratos, and Ezio were far more appropriate, because their designs and fighting styles fit in with SoulCalibur's time periods and aesthetics. StarWars's inclusion felt like an experimentation and a way to market The Force Unleashed (and it wasn't subtle about it).

Well if you want to get technical about making them 'fit' the Star Wars characters are from 'a long time ago in a galaxy far away' which allows to them fit in any time period just as easily as other guests native to Earth.

It's still just an opinion whether or not they truly 'fit' aesthetics wise, some people maybe hated it just like some people ended up liking it. As I've said when I first heard about it I thought it was pretty dumb to have lightsabers fighting against regular metal swords, shields and axes for instance but then I actually played the game and it turned out pretty good for me, especially when I thought about it and remembered it's all just a fantasy story. Star Wars often gets more equated with high fantasy more than sci-fi like say Star Trek.

Obviously it was an experiment and a tie-in with Force Unleashed, which makes it nonetheless bold and as far as I'm concerned it worked very well. It gave people who liked Starkiller as a character a little more one on one depth than what was generally the button mashing of his main game.

But as I say now is not the time for that again and as you say some people really prefer more matching aesthetics... It probably is true some people do simply buy into guests for the novelty and then abandon the game itself but that's just part of the parcel with guests. Many stay and appreciate the benefits of having their favourites from multiple franchises in one of the best fighting game series' ever.

Well if you want to get technical about making them 'fit' the Star Wars characters are from 'a long time ago in a galaxy far away' which allows to them fit in any time period just as easily as other guests native to Earth.

It's still just an opinion whether or not they truly 'fit' aesthetics wise, some people maybe hated it just like some people ended up liking it. As I've said when I first heard about it I thought it was pretty dumb to have lightsabers fighting against regular metal swords, shields and axes for instance but then I actually played the game and it turned out pretty good for me, especially when I thought about it and remembered it's all just a fantasy story. Star Wars often gets more equated with high fantasy more than sci-fi like say Star Trek.

Obviously it was an experiment and a tie-in with Force Unleashed, which makes it nonetheless bold and as far as I'm concerned it worked very well. It gave people who liked Starkiller as a character a little more one on one depth than what was generally the button mashing of his main game.

But as I say now is not the time for that again and as you say some people really prefer more matching aesthetics... It probably is true some people do simply buy into guests for the novelty and then abandon the game itself but that's just part of the parcel with guests. Many stay and appreciate the benefits of having their favourites from multiple franchises in one of the best fighting game series' ever.

"A long time ago, in galaxy far, far away" has no bearing on fitting with SoulCalibur whatsoever. As I said, Project Soul and reviewers felt they didn't belong. That' how we ended up with Ezio in SoulCalibur V. And SCIV did nothing to add to StarKillers personality. He barely had anything in story mode, so him going against Vader at the end seemed random at best. It just seems like you're playing devil's advocate, when the general consensus is they didn't belong

The only problem I had with Star Wars character is the fact I couldnt grab Yoda.

He was also immune to Highs and every character had to use an alternate Critical Finish (A random unblockable) to kill him.

Last edited:
"A long time ago, in galaxy far, far away" has no baring on fitting with SoulCalibur whatsoever. As I said, Project Soul and reviewers felt they didn't belong. That' how we ended up with Ezio in SoulCalibur V. And SCIV did nothing to add to StarKillers personality. He barely had anything in story mode, so him going against Vader at the end seemed random at best. It just seems like you're playing devil's advocate, when the general consensus is they didn't belong

'A long time ago in a galazy far away' implies they could be around at any time in the Earths past and even if there's time-travel involved, SCV had time-travel with no sci-fi elements, all fantasy. Guests aren't even really meant to belong in the first place that's why they call them guests. If they really did say that PS were probably just placating people moaning and it has no bearing the quality of their work.

But anyway, like I care what the 'general consensus' is, like I'd even bother to research such a mythical thing to find out, it's always the haters who make the most noise anyway if there ever is a general consensus let alone if such a thing even has any value whatsoever... Certainly not to creativity and pushing boundaries but if you want to dig a hole and stay in it forever there is a word for that... Death. Yeah I'll do my best to avoid that one myself.

Also I said nothing about Starkillers personality which is where you go to Force Unleashed for but rather his 'one on one' fighting gameplay in SC4.

This argument is what I hear the most about worst made things usually.
This stupid culture of "the more random = the better" is truly a media-cancer.

Where did I say ' the more random=the better'? Inspiration is always a thing, nothing happens in a vacuum, but what I said was going along with what the rest of the world says is right can be misleading and is in my opinion an asinine practice. Most of the time people just do what they think will 'fit in' with they think is the 'general consensus' but most of the time this isn't really what they want. They just do it to fit in or because it's just plain easier.

In England for instance it was once considered the 'general consensus' to go to the bathroom in a pot and fling it out the window into the streets... Which is what England would be like now if no one had ever stepped outside the 'general consensus' and said we can do better. Progress people. Think about it.

pushing boundaries

In fact no where in that quote is an 'argument' I've made, all I see is a verb and a noun... Arbitrary reasoning and projection at best. Kappa

The only guest character i enjoyed is Link. I never actually cared for them unless they're really fun to play (gameplay wise) or if they're from a franchise i'm really into. but most of the video game franchises i like do not fit sc, so... not much hope.

They didnt fit the timeline. We had 3 of them for no goddamn reason. So 3 spots less for actuall good sc characters
Well, about the timeline, that's not true. They weren't "medieval", that's for sure, but there a good reason for that as said by @REPROBEAN_CHILD ^^ But you're absolutely right about the 3 spots...

But in the end, Star Wars guests > Daishi's roster ideas...

I continue to wish for Clare or Teresa from Claymore, but it isn't popular enough so... xD

Honestly, are you actually arguing that the Star Wars characters are a problem because they are "over the top"? What other purpose is there for a guest character other than being over the top? That is how it works, you bring a character that feels new or different, a character that is famous and stands out so it can bring sales to the game. That is the whole purpose of any guest. Also, if you consider we had Astaroth, Algol, Nightmare, Aeon and some other things I may be missing, how over the top are the Star Wars characters actually? The only things they truly have different are lightsabers and the Force (telekinesis, when it comes to gameplay), so its not really THAT over the top. Not to mention, the only characters that DIDN'T stand out as guests were Heihachi and Devil Jin. So, yeah, stop with this babbling, people like them, they do what they are supposed to and you can ignore them, so all this talk is completely pointless.

' the more random=the better'
Darth Vader fighting a Samurai is an absolutely random and unreasonable thing.
Also maybe I should have phrased it better like "doing something completely out of place for the sake of it" or "making something solely to stand out by your doing regardless of how stupid and absurd it is".
Also unrelated historical analogies and this "to be fair, you have to have high IQ to understand my posts and influence of Darth Vader's presence in SC on world's progress" attitude really makes me think you're just trolling.

Again the idea that having Darth Vader in Soul Calibur is stupid or absurd is your opinion, nothing more, nothing less... You're the one challenging my arguments by inventing the 'arguments' I've made yourself instead of addressing the point I'm actually making.

I like to think PS didn't simply make Darth Vader in SC to 'stand out' (although they may have considered that a bonus), they did it because they thought they could do a good job realising the character in their gameplay and people would enjoy it, which they in fact did. I can at least testify to that fact, even if it doesn't fit with what certain people around here consider the 'general consensus'.

I'm just trying to make my point. I'm not the one calling people trolls...

Okay kids time to behave. I've seen pointless arguing about guest characters, costumes, business practices, other games totally not Calibur, and fucking nipples. I don't have the energy to go and delete every stupid argument post and dole out that many infraction points. So if it keeps going I close down this thread regardless of how much activity it's getting. So behave, be civil, and just use some goddamn sense.

P.S.

Some of you can't afford to get anymore infractions or really pop up on my radar anymore. So if you like posting here I would suggest highly to moderate yourself as you've all been warned several times. YOU NOW WHO YOU ALL ARE...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back