Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like their announcement WAS Tekken Revolution. *sigh* Fail on their part for creating confusion.

I guess our next hope (or nightmare, no pun intended) is Soul Calibur Army of Darkness.

Tekken Revolution took out bound entirely. Replaced it with invincible moves. I actually like it compared to Tag 2.

WAIT. They can add Talim because shes a petite, kind-hearted, easily-approachable girl that would fit right in! AND it would make sense canon-wise because for no reason she disappeared from SCV! She was sucked into the nintendoverse!

Search deep in your heart and then ask yourself, do you truly believe that?

I'm all for fantasy and whatnot. I just pray they don't turn the series into an anime weeaboos paradise. Not that I hate anime necessarily but I think Soul Calibur had a good mix of a realistic meets fantasy setting and I prefer they continue down that path. But that's just me.
It is more supernatural.

The characters were fictional. The background and setting (including character backgrounds) were historical, especially in Soul Blade. Soul Edge somehow became supernatural and caused all types of crazy stuff to happen.

Only now, there are other supernatural sources: Arahabaki, and for now, E.I.N. and Viola's crystal ball.

Seems like they'll connect to Soul Edge sooner or later, and future installments will unveil that, or at least I hope they will.

I would agree to less anime as well, but of course that's what the whole series is built from. Just developed further as the series progressed.

It is more supernatural.

The characters were fictional. The background and setting (including character backgrounds) were historical, especially in Soul Blade. Soul Edge somehow became supernatural and caused all types of crazy stuff to happen.

Only now, there are other supernatural sources: Arahabaki, and for now, E.I.N. and Viola's crystal ball.

Seems like they'll connect to Soul Edge sooner or later, and future installments will unveil that, or at least I hope they will.

I would agree to less anime as well, but of course that's what the whole series is built from. Just developed further as the series progressed.

Agreed. But to reiterate, I know that Soul Calibur originated from anime after seeing the early artwork for it years ago. But they gradually moved away from it to a point where it wasn't like say... Hmm.. Like a JRPG for lack of better thought. So that's all I meant. I'd also like to see more weapon styles that are traditional down the way too. I'm sure there are a few more weapons they can use before they start going all magical energy shooting lol

The hand-to-hand 3D fighters are much more competitive simply because there are so many of them. While I think more competitive players dont care if its hand-to-hand or weapons, casual players may choose their FGs based on this.

Also the argument about "realism" in a fighting game is very hard to debate with a straight face. It is acknowledged that project soul takes pride in making a moveset feel authentic considering the weapon/armor of the character, but there is always going to be a suspension of disbelief. Leixia's twirling of the wrist ala 22B can send Astaroth 10 feet in the air ?

Ok. What does this have to do with a new SC? Whether the moveset look "realistic" or not. Im pretty sure they could come up with plenty.

Ok. What does this have to do with a new SC?
It's spelt out clearly. Since there are more hand-to-hand fighters, each of those franchises have to compete harder against each other to win their respective demographic. Soul calibur does not have this healthy competition to drive it to do so.

Granted some of us won't make a difference between hand-to-hand or weapons, but i'm willing to wager a respectable amount of people do prefer one over the other.

Whether the moveset look "realistic" or not. Im pretty sure they could come up with plenty.
I don't have time to quote everyone regarding the realism but I want you to know this conversation isn't only centered on your comments.

It's spelt out clearly. Since there are more hand-to-hand fighters, each of those franchises have to compete harder against each other to win their respective demographic. Soul calibur does not have this healthy competition to drive it to do so.

Granted some of us won't make a difference between hand-to-hand or weapons, but i'm willing to wager a respectable amount of people do prefer one over the other.

I don't have time to quote everyone regarding the realism but I want you to know this conversation isn't only centered on your comments.
I understand what you mean. I'm one of the few people who has these thoughts with hand-to-hand & weapon fighters.

3D Hand to hand: Tekken, Dead or Alive, Virtual Fighter, & Street Fighter
3D Weapon: Soul Calibur & Mortal Kombat (somewhat)

Really, there is no other 3D weapon based game out at the moment. The only one I could have seen competing with Soul Calibur was Dynasty Warriors (if they kept the game to just a fighting game like the debut) or Samurai Warriors (if it went 3D again). So yeah, Soul Calibur doesn't have much competition so Namco might feel that the series doesn't need anything to help give it more attention when they have Tekken.

I understand what you mean. I'm one of the few people who has these thoughts with hand-to-hand & weapon fighters.

3D Hand to hand: Tekken, Dead or Alive, Virtual Fighter, & Street Fighter
3D Weapon: Soul Calibur & Mortal Kombat (somewhat)

Really, there is no other 3D weapon based game out at the moment. The only one I could have seen competing with Soul Calibur was Dynasty Warriors (if they kept the game to just a fighting game like the debut) or Samurai Warriors (if it went 3D again). So yeah, Soul Calibur doesn't have much competition so Namco might feel that the series doesn't need anything to help give it more attention when they have Tekken.
Or more like this. In the minds of the most simple individuals:
Street Fighter=The First Fighting Game/The best 2D fighting game
KOF=The K-Mart 2D fighting game (Guess who is Wal-Mart)
Tekken=The best 3d hand-to-hand fighting game
VF=The technical/boring 3d hand-to-hand fighting game (Ignoring that it was the first)
Mortal Kombat=Blood and Gore (with Scorpion quotes)
DOA=Boobs. Most seem to ignore the fighting aspect altogether and recognize the volleyball games more. Others may just recognize Ryu Hayabusa.
Soul Calibur is "The 3d fighting game with weapons". Some may mention Link and Star Wars characters.

Then you have Blazblue which is more like "The 2D fighting game that we don't want", while Guilty Gear is the opposite. Some may hear of others like Killer Instinct, just to ponder on nostalgia, while they've probably never played the game before. Then there's Super Smash Brothers. Guest characters, I guess.

And I think you mean Samurai Showdown btw. lol

Of course I'm only exaggerating these posts.

Yes pretty much this, but I thought Blazblue was pretty popular, something like Skull Girls...

Anyway I believe that one thing about SC is that the game is hard even now, but it is better this way.
In the fighting game community it is popular, but ask a person who doesn't know a lick about fighting games. They'll recognize Tekken, SF, and MK in a heartbeat.

And if they recognize Soul Calibur it's probably because of SC2 or SC4 for obvious reasons. Most likely SC2 if they are old enough.

In the fighting game community it is popular, but ask a person who doesn't know a lick about fighting games. They'll recognize Tekken, SF, and MK in a heartbeat.

And if they recognize Soul Calibur it's probably because of SC2 or SC4 for obvious reasons. Most likely SC2 if they are old enough.

Well I dunno if is a urban legend or stuff, but some say that Dream Cast sold a lot because of Soul Calibur.

at some point.

I personally would like a reboot. Start all the way back at soul calubur 1.

The SC series is not a necessarily a story driven series, its a fighting game. And while it pays a lot more attention to its world and characters then damn near any other fighter, one must remember that the story is usually driven by what the designers want to do with the series, not the other way around. I think SCVI will take place after SCV (since IT was essentially a reboot) and i HOPE it has Cassandra :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back