Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
snippity snip snip

i'd compare this to a CoD player wanting more single player things in CoD. you know what you're getting into when you buy a fighting, you're gonna spend the majority of your time on it playing multiplayer.

i'm not trying to sound negative or trolly or anything, but i don't see the point "improving" the single player aspects when it's multiplayer should be the main focus. i'd be ok with the basic single player things like arcade, survival, time attack, etc but the majority of my single player time is spent in training mode (of challenge/mission modes from SS4, blazblue, etc.)

True, but bonus modes were always fun. Something like chronicles of the sword would be a big boost to interest from casual fans who love the CAS too. But the main offline/single player thing I want is individual arcade endings. And team battle back.

And team battle might be fun online. It would take too long for lobbies, though.

When SC5 was first heard of. There were several of us dedicated players that sat down and compiled a list of improvments/ideas for each individual character. I can you tell with absolute certainty that most of our suggestions are in the game.

You gotta give Namco credit where credit is due...
That, gameplay as well as the solid online netcode is where credit is due.

However, this
...and not look on them as a greedy money hungry company. All companies need money to survive and the decisions made during SC5's development catered to that (rather they hurt us the players, or not).
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on that quote; though I would assume not as greedy as Capcom, they did pull off a Capcom when they charge you $5 for a character that is already in the game just to be unlocked. This is evident in SC4 with the Star Wars guest characters and SC5 with Dampierre. Ppl paid full price for a game and they should be entitled to all the contents the game has and if they want to unlock the contents let it be offline in-game instead of doing it online.

People seemed to have this ideal that "They didnt make this game the way I wanted". Well there are several hundreds of thousands of people that play this game. Cant please em all
There are ppl who do fantasize their own ideals, but there are also long time fans who play the SC series and enjoy the game for what it was for different reasons. To take such elements away makes things worse. Right now SC5 lacks content something I'm pretty sure many fans enjoy the SC series for; why would you lose thousands just for the remaining thousands when you can add thousands more to the existing thousands? Sure you can't plz all them all, but that doesn't mean you can do worse and cut your audience like that. Where's the commitment to do better?

Overall, I think there should be a fine balance of satisfaction between casual audience and competitive audience, it feels now that competitive audience are weighed in more yet the majority of consumers are casual gamers. It's good to have Namco listening to their hardcore fans especially tourney players to structure a solid fighting game mechanic, but casual fans especially long-time casual fans are the major ones spending on the game to make it happen; telling them to F off and deal with it otherwise won't make it happen.

That, gameplay as well as the solid online netcode is where credit is due.

However, thisI'm gonna have to disagree with you on that quote; though I would assume not as greedy as Capcom, they did pull off a Capcom when they charge you $5 for a character that is already in the game just to be unlocked. This is evident in SC4 with the Star Wars guest characters and SC5 with Dampierre. Ppl paid full price for a game and they should be entitled to all the contents the game has and if they want to unlock the contents let it be offline in-game instead of doing it online.

There are ppl who do fantasize their own ideals, but there are also long time fans who play the SC series and enjoy the game for what it was for different reasons. To take such elements away makes things worse. Right now SC5 lacks content something I'm pretty sure many fans enjoy the SC series for; why would you lose thousands just for the remaining thousands when you can add thousands more to the existing thousands? Sure you can't plz all them all, but that doesn't mean you can do worse and cut your audience like that. Where's the commitment to do better?

Overall, I think there should be a fine balance of satisfaction between casual audience and competitive audience, it feels now that competitive audience are weighed in more yet the majority of consumers are casual gamers. It's good to have Namco listening to their hardcore fans especially tourney players to structure a solid fighting game mechanic, but casual fans especially long-time casual fans are the major ones spending on the game to make it happen; telling them to F off and deal with it otherwise won't make it happen.

I actually whole heartedly agree with this. This game was not the high point for me in the series either. I do enjoy SC5 for all its faults. I enjoy the game for what it is. Could it be better...YES....could it have more content....ABSOLUTLY. But being a business man myself I understand that some projects need the plug pulled so that focus can be brought elsewhere. However as a business man I understand that I always make my projects the absolute best I possibly can. So given the oppurtunity I will go back to said project and make it what it was intended to be.

I really hope Namco allows PS to do what they wanted in this installment, in the next installment (whatever that may be). Yes I to have be playing SC since SC1, and have been a huge fan ever since. I really enjoyed all the stories, and different modes that were lacking in the last 2 games. Im by no means a top high level player nor will I ever be one. I want a game thats more catered to what I use SC for. Endless hours of enjoyment with friends online and on my couch. I beleive you hit it right one the head that this game catered to more top level play than the casual gamer. Which I have always said makes up 90% of their market. If not more than that. The casuals are gonna give Namco their money time and time again and there are a shit ton more of us than tourney players.

As far as the DLC content on the disc. Hey man, we all gotta make a buck somewhere. I guess I have a question bout this though.

Lets take injustice for example....My son is a freak bout this game. has downloaded all the DLC characters due to that season pass I got him. What absolutly INFURIATES me, is the fact that if his xbox is NOT plugged into the internet, he is unable to play those DLC characters. I paid for the game AND I paid another $60 for the pass for him, and I can only use the damn DLC characters if Im on the internet? I find that to be absolute bullshit! Now, is that because those said characters are NOT on the disc to begin with?

If thats the case I say this.....I understand the notion of making an extra buck. Yeah I know its things on a disc already that I own, I get that. But if Im forced to pay for these DLCs, god damn it, you make it so I can play with em anytime I fuckin want. Not just when Im on the god damn interwebz. I would much rather pay money for things that are on my disc already so I can use them whenever I want VS, paying for DLC that is download only that I can only use when Im on the internet......

Unless I have that completly wrong

If thats the case I say this.....I understand the notion of making an extra buck. Yeah I know its things on a disc already that I own, I get that. But if Im forced to pay for these DLCs, god damn it, you make it so I can play with em anytime I fuckin want. Not just when Im on the god damn interwebz. I would much rather pay money for things that are on my disc already so I can use them whenever I want VS, paying for DLC that is download only that I can only use when Im on the internet......

Oh Forza at times makes me rage when I have no internet. You probably know how I feel when I can't play those certain DLC cars I want to play as. Hopefully every game plus SCVI, will get this memo.

Lets take injustice for example....My son is a freak bout this game. has downloaded all the DLC characters due to that season pass I got him. What absolutly INFURIATES me, is the fact that if his xbox is NOT plugged into the internet, he is unable to play those DLC characters. I paid for the game AND I paid another $60 for the pass for him, and I can only use the damn DLC characters if Im on the internet? I find that to be absolute bullshit! Now, is that because those said characters are NOT on the disc to begin with?

Unless I have that completly wrong
Looks like you're proving they are even more greedy. You pay for an online pass and in addition bought DLC characters which you can only play if you're connected online.

Why can't they just install the DLC characters on the Xbox 360 or PS3 hard drive? and load them off from there when playing offline?

Both services are stupid and for what it's worth I rather not pay extra. I just wish there were some better business tactic than this.

Also in addition to Namco's greed you pay for past SC sound tracks to be on SC4 and you can't reuse them for SC5? Correct me if I'm wrong on this one.
Oh Forza at times makes me rage when I have no internet. You probably know how I feel when I can't play those certain DLC cars I want to play as.
Not every racing game is like that though fortunately. Have you ever played Split Second? You can download cars and play them offline.

Looks like you're proving they are even more greedy. You pay for an online pass and in addition bought DLC characters which you can only play if you're connected online.

Why can't they just install the DLC characters on the Xbox 360 or PS3 hard drive? and load them off from there when playing offline?

Exactly right. If I pay money for something. There should be something there that tells me "Hey Dave, If you pay $60 for a season pass, the only time you are going to be able to use it is when you are online." Then I wouldnt have a leg to stand on in this argument. I knew what I was getting into when I purchased it, so it wouldve been my own dumb descion to buy the pass. But there is no such stipulation.

You are absolutly correct though. There needs to be a better way to deal with all this DLC stuff.

To clarify. The season pass includes the DLC characters. I didnt pay additionaly for the characters.

Ya its like they give you this contract with hidden strings attached.

So ya good talk; now onto something else.

With Tekken Revolution and Killer Instinct being free-to-play, do you see the same coming with SC6?

Oh Forza at times makes me rage when I have no internet. You probably know how I feel when I can't play those certain DLC cars I want to play as. Hopefully every game plus SCVI, will get this memo.

I wish you had Live so we could play Forza. xD

With Tekken Revolution and Killer Instinct being free-to-play, do you see the same coming with SC6?

i hope not! i don't have a ps3 so i can't try TR, but it seems like a really awkward way to play a fighting game. i know plenty of people who only play one style only, but i also know a lot more who play over half the cast. granted i heard KI was gonna be free-to-play or you can buy the full-priced game, i will be doing the latter.

FTP stuff is bad. No exceptions.
I see Free-to-Play synonymous to demos, but......

The part where you buy characters as the game progresses. Something rather off about that. Not to mention, the developers might work more on the characters already in the game (Jago, Sabrewolf in KI's case).

i'd compare this to a CoD player wanting more single player things in CoD. you know what you're getting into when you buy a fighting, you're gonna spend the majority of your time on it playing multiplayer.

i'm not trying to sound negative or trolly or anything, but i don't see the point "improving" the single player aspects when it's multiplayer should be the main focus. i'd be ok with the basic single player things like arcade, survival, time attack, etc but the majority of my single player time is spent in training mode (of challenge/mission modes from SS4, blazblue, etc.)
Maybe I'm just being DEX who sees too big of a picture that SC could ever handle, yet believing its possible to do. Then again, it's not....
True, but bonus modes were always fun. Something like chronicles of the sword would be a big boost to interest from casual fans who love the CAS too. But the main offline/single player thing I want is individual arcade endings. And team battle back.

And team battle might be fun online. It would take too long for lobbies, though.
This guy pretty much read my mind.

i agree with the single player modes thing. gamers either want an outstanding offline experience or an outstanding online experience. COD has both but achieves the online portion much better, a game like farcry3 achieves the opposite.

fighting games are unique though. gameplay balancing and game mechanics are the same online and offline. this isnt the same for a shooter for instance.

this fact saves lots of time and energy. adding team battle, soul arena modes or challenge modes offline greatly increases the quality of a game. SC5 had nothing to lose adding these things instead of adding legendary souls, and quickbattle which are practically the same (you fight the computer, nothing truly unique).

SC6 can satisfy fans for years if they keep this in mind. adding some of these offline modes into the online space would be wise as well. SC5 has lost alot of spark, we're in a thread about SC6 and 5 has only been out for just over a year...

i agree with the single player modes thing. gamers either want an outstanding offline experience or an outstanding online experience. COD has both but achieves the online portion much better, a game like farcry3 achieves the opposite.

fighting games are unique though. gameplay balancing and game mechanics are the same online and offline. this isnt the same for a shooter for instance.

this fact saves lots of time and energy. adding team battle, soul arena modes or challenge modes offline greatly increases the quality of a game. SC5 had nothing to lose adding these things instead of adding legendary souls, and quickbattle which are practically the same (you fight the computer, nothing truly unique).

SC6 can satisfy fans for years if they keep this in mind. adding some of these offline modes into the online space would be wise as well. SC5 has lost alot of spark, we're in a thread about SC6 and 5 has only been out for just over a year...
Exactly. I truly believe that SCV is great for the hardcore online players but for the offline players, it doesn't offer much replay value at the end of the day. Of course, every gamer is different so there are offline players who still have a lot of fun playing it. I personally am off/on with the game but I have been playing Tekken Tag Tournament 2 a lot lately. Haven't touched SCV since late April

SCV online wasn't great for me at all. All I got to fight was casual scrubs that never put up a good fight. Those that did put up a good fight soon later started rage quitting whenever they saw me. My online experience was very lacking in competitive play, but that's not for SC to blame. What I do blame them for is that I wasn't able to find any other aspect of the game to keep me playing (CAS was the only thing that made me keep playing). Eventually I just stopped, & didn't pick up SC again for a long time until Party Wolf invited me.

Then again, what if I was to find a challenge? That challenge wouldn't be able to play me forever. Thus, I need to look for something to keep me coming back. That's where I look to offline; then next thing you know, offline properties suck as well. Don't get me wrong though, SC is a very great game for fighting & berserkin mugs (the #1 best in my opinion) & I really do love it. It just failed to help me hold on to it whenever I'm clinging on the edge of letting go when I didn't want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back