Soul Calibur 6 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one hoping that, at the very least, we get more CE's like Viola's which have more utility and depth. I'd also like to see some creativity in regards to unique soul charges because as they are, they appear to be a really lack luster vtrigger/instinct mode knockoff. Like I wonder if we'll get anything along the lines of a urien shield, ibuki bombs, glacious armor, health regen, or transformations.

Idk why, but there seems to be an aversion to 2d gameplay mechanics (like projectiles and onscreen traps) being implemented in 3d fighting games, but I've always wanted to see zoning and/or setup based characters in a 3d fighter. Algol from sc4 came the closest to a proper zoner, whilst zwei and Viola tried to be setup/trap characters but they were all were terribly balanced unfortunately. It's like most 3d FG players can't stand the idea of having to work a little to get close to their opponent.

Also probably a minority opinion, but I've always considered tech traps as the cross-ups of 3d FG's and would like to see more of them. Not like catching someone with a 2A if they tech or a 2k if they don't though, more like the shit astaroth had off his B command grab and nightmare had off his 3B in sc4.

If Bamco cared about Legacy characters, we would have seen Hwang a long time ago. But that's besides the point. Polls don't matter, Bamco has access to actual data that we don't. Julia was so unpopular that they basically rebooted her character to see if anyone would care (and nobody did). I can see why you're upset that Anna is gone, and there is quite a bit of a vocal minority speaking up about Lei (I would be among them, I used to main the shit out of that man) and while I'm personally a little disappointed that the character that introduced me to Tekken is gone, it gave me an excuse to branch out and love other characters.

Think about it from their standpoint - why invest resources into characters if the data indicates that nobody wants to play them?

My question is where for fuck’s sale is the data from because many fans’ observations say otherwise, not just their feelings. Similar to how people adopt the mentality, “just tell me that so-n-so is gone so I can stop internally stressing myself out”, I would like to know why these characters are gone when the game, (especially one that’s more popular in the West where bears are literally almost never touched or shown a fuck for) realistically, logically has more room for them as fan favorites than a shakily-received fan-made character and two more guests, all with 2D mechanics that are extremely distracting and unwanted by a very large amount of the fanbase, and the up-and-coming Noctis, whom I will not prejudge.

The fact is that guest characters are not there for the fans. They're there to attract players who would have otherwise ignored the game.

The same could be true of the cut characters. Perhaps Bamco looked at the data and determined that cutting Anna or Lei wasn't going to change anyone's mind about buying the game. In other words, their inclusion wouldn't move any additional copies of Tekken 7.

Or maybe Harada just likes trolling fans.

Make her Amy at first then Viola by the end of the story.

That would be the best... As long as Amy kept her moveset before becoming Viola.

I mean I would preffer Namco/Project Soul to give us two alter-egos, each one having her own moveset and I am sold.

A dissociative identity disorder could fit perfectly in here if they put some effort in Amy/Viola background. I hope they really go very in-depth story wise this time even for secondary characters. This particular case has a lot of potential. But maybe I am just daydreaming.

amyxvio_by_yumehimesan-d975ze5.jpg

Last edited:
They added everyone's "fan favorites" to TTT2 and casuals didn't buy it. Meanwhile Tekken 7 with 2D mechanics and missing "fan favorites" has sold over 3 million.
I hate to be "that guy" but Tekken 7's success is a mix between not coming out during a time with an overabundance of fighting games like TTT2 did (it was seriously pretty ridiculous how stacked that time period was due to the fighting game resurgence running wild at the time, so people were much more pick-and-choosy for which game to get, play, and stick with, and Tekken takes a lot of dedication to not suck at) and the (honestly earned and deserved) hate boner that r/kappa and the FGC has for Capcom fighters anymore.

SCVI will likely be pretty successful just because
1. It's not Capcom
2. It has tiddies, ass, and sexy ladies (and sexy dudes too)
3. It actually looks like it'll play really well and will have a tutorial, which has been confirmed (unlike Tekken 7.... which needed a tutorial for helping get people into it. Instead, Aris has been doing their job for them in helping get people into Tekken and fundementally understand how it works for people trying to get serious)
4. It's Soul Calibur and it's actually back again
5. The roster should make people pretty happy for the most part as it's going to be more of a love letter nostalgiabait thing for the series back when people actually looked back more fondly on it
6. CUSTOMIZATION/CHARACTER CREATION (as it's an integral selling point too)
7. The guest character(s)

Am I the only one hoping that, at the very least, we get more CE's like Viola's which have more utility and depth. I'd also like to see some creativity in regards to unique soul charges because as they are, they appear to be a really lack luster vtrigger/instinct mode knockoff. Like I wonder if we'll get anything along the lines of a urien shield, ibuki bombs, glacious armor, health regen, or transformations.

Idk why, but there seems to be an aversion to 2d gameplay mechanics (like projectiles and onscreen traps) being implemented in 3d fighting games, but I've always wanted to see zoning and/or setup based characters in a 3d fighter. Algol from sc4 came the closest to a proper zoner, whilst zwei and Viola tried to be setup/trap characters but they were all were terribly balanced unfortunately. It's like most 3d FG players can't stand the idea of having to work a little to get close to their opponent.

Also probably a minority opinion, but I've always considered tech traps as the cross-ups of 3d FG's and would like to see more of them. Not like catching someone with a 2A if they tech or a 2k if they don't though, more like the shit astaroth had off his B command grab and nightmare had off his 3B in sc4.
Talim could have something windbased ;)
But what I want is someone who plays defensively for their CE to give them armor for the next three hits or for 5 seconds. Or maybe, since SF copied SC, Viola gets multiple orbs — Menat style.

single player modes
To be fair, it is not like most of the modes people are asking, museum-team-survival-etc are more than a slight derivations of the main game. With maybe museum being the most derivative, but then again it is more walls of texts than anything else.
Oh my God, the flames of war of SF5. To be fair, Tekken is a big series on it's own right, but what a mess was Tekken 7 from arcade to consoles.

I have this feeling that Sora might be the guest character since KH3 comes out in 2018 too. That and Noctis being in T7 shows some collaboration between Sqaure and Namco.

I hate to be "that guy" but Tekken 7's success is a mix between not coming out during a time with an overabundance of fighting games like TTT2 did (it was seriously pretty ridiculous how stacked that time period was due to the fighting game resurgence running wild at the time, so people were much more pick-and-choosy for which game to get, play, and stick with, and Tekken takes a lot of dedication to not suck at) and the (honestly earned and deserved) hate boner that r/kappa and the FGC has for Capcom fighters anymore.

SCVI will likely be successful just because
1. It's not Capcom
2. It has tiddies, ass, and sexy ladies
3. It actually looks like it'll play really well and will have a tutorial, which has been confirmed (unlike Tekken 7.... which needed a tutorial for helping get people into it. Instead, Aris has been doing their job for them in helping get people into Tekken and fundementally understand how it works for people trying to get serious)
4. It's Soul Calibur and it's actually back again
5. The roster should make people pretty happy for the most part as it's going to be more of a love letter nostalgiabait thing for the series back when people actually looked back more fondly on it
6. CUSTOMIZATION/CHARACTER CREATION (as it's an integral selling point too)

The overabundance of fighting games was at the beginning of that year. TTT2 only had DOA5 to contend with while Tekken 7 released right after Injustice 2, ARMS, and Revelator 2 and with Pokken and MVCI bringing up the rear.

People are more picky/choosy now because Capcom dropped the ball with SFV. The level of dedication hasn't changed either.

I still have my doubts on the success of SC6 because of how long the game has been in development and how much information is being leaked out beforehand to hype people up. I'm also not a fan of the things being brought back, so I'm taking a wait and see approach.

I have this feeling that Sora might be the guest character since KH3 comes out in 2018 too. That and Noctis being in T7 shows some collaboration between Sqaure and Namco.
Sora's actually owned by Disney though. That's kind of an odd fact most people don't know.
If we get a Square Enix character, it'll either be 2B from NieR: Automata (she was the second most requested character next to Kazuma Kiryu from the Yakuza series for Tekken 7, and what still tickles me pink is how people online were against it because she used weapons.... oh if they only knew Noctis would be chosen instead lol) or Cloud (and Sephiroth) from Final Fantasy VII to crosspromote with the FFVII Remake.
Cloud was meant for SCII as the guest character on PS2 before the deal fell through and they had to back-up plan and go with Heihachi.

The overabundance of fighting games was at the beginning of that year. TTT2 only had DOA5 to contend with while Tekken 7 released right after Injustice 2, ARMS, and Revelator 2 and with Pokken and MVCI bringing up the rear.

People are more picky/choosy now because Capcom dropped the ball with SFV. The level of dedication hasn't changed either.

I still have my doubts on the success of SC6 because of how long the game has been in development and how much information is being leaked out beforehand to hype people up. I'm also not a fan of the things being brought back, so I'm taking a wait and see approach.
The thing is SCV came out in early 2012, then Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown in the summer, and then TTT2 and DOA5 in September with a week or two between releases. All dropped in the same year during an era where the FGC at large didn't honestly give much of a shit about 3D fighters and didn't get proper or respectable coverage on SRK or Eventhubs at all either.
The 4 big 3D fighters all came out the same year and all 4 games didn't meet sales figures or succeed like how imagined because 3D fighters were becoming a niche subgenre during the rise of 2D fighters being seen as "all that matters" to the core FGC.
Now, we're finally starting to see a slight turn back to how it was in the early to mid-2000s where 3D fighters are being seen with respect again (like when they held down the fort for the genre and thrived during Capcom's absence from the genre entirely).

Last edited:
Arms and Pokken were new-ish ips and Nintendo exclusives
Revelator 2 was more a expansion than anything really
Those are also factors-
As far as we know, right now, most big fighters got updated in 2017, so it is most likely there won't be a lot of competition, as far as new sequels to other fighters.

Arms and Pokken were new-ish ips and Nintendo exclusives
Revelator 2 was more a expansion than anything really
Those are also factors-
As far as we know, right now, most big fighters got updated in 2017, so it is most likely there won't be a lot of competition, as far as new sequels to other fighters.

I'm also pretty convinced that SC6 will stand and bang all by itself. And that's a good thing. Unless of course, you count Fantasy Strike. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back