Soul Calibur V Connection Problems?

Yea....I been working the past hour or doing every guide on the internet. Zero luck I am just gonna wait for a fix or just take it back FF13-2 = less hassal

For us PS3 players, we got an update from PSN to SNE. I am hoping to God, that this will fix the problem. Haven't tried anything out yet, because it's late here. But anyway, I sure hope that this update may have been the cure for our server problem issues. I hope.
I was hoping for the same but no luck. I'm thinking of taking it back now....

I'm on XBL and I'm behind a router. It constantly shows me as a zero bar connection and I can only connect to a small percentage of players online. Additionally, I get the network error bug thingie after a few matches. Ranked matches time out.

Sc4 and everything else in the freakin' world works fine. Even if I connect straight to the modem I still only show, like, 3 player rooms w/ 10 people or something.

I was hoping for the same but no luck. I'm thinking of taking it back now....

Yes. I've been thinking about that too. I have a feeling, even if I did try all this NAT stuff, it wouldn't make a difference. And I don't want to ruin anything, because our internet is hooked up to our home phone. My mom get's angry pretty quickly if things get messed up... And I'm not a technition to do this complex stuff, even with a guid. So I might as well just return it. I think it may be the disc... But at the same time, I have my doubts of it. But who knows... I wanna wait a little longer, until my friend get's the game. And if he doesn't have any problems with it and I still do, then I might as well just return it it too, as much as it pains me returning it.

I sent them an e-mail during the peak of my frustration last weekend. Here's the short version of their response.

- SC5 uses peer-to-peer matching, don't use other programs that use up high bandwidth while trying to play
- Power cycle your modem
- Use wired connection if possible
- Run connection test and make sure you have Open NAT type
- Contact your ISP if you need further help with NAT type

Basically things already mentioned here. Still, I agree that drawing attention will hopefully get an official fix of some sort from their end for people with persisting problems.

They sent a form letter. A cookie-cutter response avoiding any accountability on their behalf. I'm uploading my correspondence for you all to view.

Attachments

• Re: Soul Calibur V.pdf
    5 KB · Views: 322
After I updated psn yesterday I noticed a large amount of network errors. =/
hasn't been too bad today though.

Eh don't hold your breath for a fix. I have a feeling that they won't bother with this issue at all.

If you mail Namco/Bandai they'll just blame you and your equipment! That's what we get for spending our money with them I guess.

Here is what I found:

I had / have the same issue like all of you.
I will have a disconnect when joining an invited room, after char select
I will have a disconnect after 5 seconds in ranked match
Nobody can join my room

I have all necessary ports open and Nat2. I couldn't play a single game. Didn't have this issue in any other game.

So what I tried is, I plugged in my smartphone and shared the internet connection. And I can actually play without disconnects ... although the ping and broadband width is shit. It's 10 times slower than my dedicated line.

So it has nothing to do with damaged CD's, PSN problems, PS3 problems and so on. It seems the problems are related to the connection between the internet provider and the SC5 servers.

Here is what I found:

I had / have the same issue like all of you.
I will have a disconnect when joining an invited room, after char select
I will have a disconnect after 5 seconds in ranked match
Nobody can join my room

I have all necessary ports open and Nat2. I couldn't play a single game. Didn't have this issue in any other game.

So what I tried is, I plugged in my smartphone and shared the internet connection. And I can actually play without disconnects ... although the ping and broadband width is shit. It's 10 times slower than my dedicated line.

So it has nothing to do with damaged CD's, PSN problems, PS3 problems and so on. It seems the problems are related to the connection between the internet provider and the SC5 servers.
Well then, I'll put it out there that I'm on AT&T's U-verse service (fiber-optic DSL). What about the rest of you?

To be honest I still think it's quite hard to pin down the exact problem. Using the same ISP, I played well the first 2 days the game came out. Then it came to a crashing halt for 3 days where 90% of my fights would drop out. After applying router fixes and restarting whole system, it worked well again.

Well then, I'll put it out there that I'm on AT&T's U-verse service (fiber-optic DSL). What about the rest of you?

I'm on Cox Cable internet 15 mbps connection for an apartment.

@ Peter, GNR, EmilyCookieBear:

It does take some above-average computer literacy to do the router port forwarding, but I highly recommend you guys not be intimidated by it. Taking it step by step it's pretty easy and you only have to do once.

And for any of you who went through with the port changes but still have problems, did you try setting up a DMZ to have every single port open for your PS3? I think that would be the next logical step. If at all feasible I would also try to change out your cable modem with a friend temporarily to see if that's a problem. Then contact your ISP.

I would exhaust every rational possibility before turning the game in. But maybe that's just me. It's in my personality to never give up.

(Also I've been primarily a PC gamer for the past 20 years so I'm used to dealing with my share of technical problems, and being able to solve them myself haha.)

Yes. I've been thinking about that too. I have a feeling, even if I did try all this NAT stuff, it wouldn't make a difference. And I don't want to ruin anything, because our internet is hooked up to our home phone. My mom get's angry pretty quickly if things get messed up... And I'm not a technition to do this complex stuff, even with a guid. So I might as well just return it. I think it may be the disc... But at the same time, I have my doubts of it. But who knows... I wanna wait a little longer, until my friend get's the game. And if he doesn't have any problems with it and I still do, then I might as well just return it it too, as much as it pains me returning it.
Nah its not the disc. I tried renting it at the Redbox and it still does not work. I don't think the game is worth hours to find a good match :(

i was getting baaaaaaaaaaaad Connection to Opponent Lost w/e messages the first few days on PSN, literally about 3 in 4 matches would disconnect on me midway. it's SIGNIFICANTLY calmed down though in the last couple of days, although it'll still occur from time to time, often against people i've played against without problem before.

which ports? i need to know that. tnx.

according to the guide

59c653fed8fa4b6d97dc2d0b7b7f0d13.jpg

your router page should look similar to that if you are gonna open ports. Also in the image, ignore the x1,x2,x3 ports... the person owns a xbox also, so he opened xbox ports. Only pay attention to the ps3 ports.

Like Kagutsuchi said
TCP: 80, 443, 5223
UDP: 3478, 3479, 3658

@emily, i think you definitely have to open ports if you want to play sc5 online. The way sc5 netcode is set up... you have to have NAT 2 and open ports. I think SC4 netcode is set up a bit differently. In sc4 I could play with NAT 3 AND Closed ports, and have decent connection. I would have never gotten onto sc5 if I didn't change to NAT 2 and opened the closed ports.

oh, I forgot to mention I also had my ps3 set to DMZ. Sorry I forgot to mention that. I tweaked soo many settings on my router that day... that i forgot what I tweaked.

So just really quickly do the following

-Make sure you are on NAT 2
-Open all ports
-Have DMZ set

since routers are different... and router pages may look different. I strongly suggest looking at youtube guides to open ports and do DMZ or google a guide.

Matches seem to fall apart mid-way fairly frequently for everyone I see and hear from online. Seems to come in spikes though. At some points, like earlier tonight, it's ridiculous, more matches disconnect than get completed. The majority of the time, if I were to try to quantify it, I'd say that about 1 out of 10 matches I see ends prematurely.

If it's like it seems, and it's happening to everyone, then it's hard to believe that Namco will just leave us to deal with it forever... I mean the game's still young, there's hope, right?

Yesterday I was doing fine connecting to people and fighting and now I can't even search without being disconnected and sent back to the online menu. What gives?

Matches seem to fall apart mid-way fairly frequently for everyone I see and hear from online. Seems to come in spikes though. At some points, like earlier tonight, it's ridiculous, more matches disconnect than get completed. The majority of the time, if I were to try to quantify it, I'd say that about 1 out of 10 matches I see ends prematurely.

If it's like it seems, and it's happening to everyone, then it's hard to believe that Namco will just leave us to deal with it forever... I mean the game's still young, there's hope, right?

I had the same exact problem, many matches would end prematurely. Like I mentioned I changed to NAT 2, Open ports, and made sure my ps3 was set to DMZ. All matches I have don't end in disconnect now.

Right now it seems like 50% of the users can play sc5 online just fine, The other 50% can't.

Back