Soul Calibur V Sales Discussion

If that does not include US then is not underperformed at all, actually that'll be freaking good sales.

No, I agree. I meant that at first glance, it appears to have underperformed, but for whatever reason, Namco didn't include US sales. Not sure why. Incomplete data?

No, I agree. I meant that at first glance, it appears to have underperformed, but for whatever reason, Namco didn't include US sales. Not sure why. Incomplete data?
Is impossible that SCV sold that much in just two regions, that must by a typo and that should include US, but if not then yay SC for selling that much :D

I dunno, Japan really likes this game. So it could be true. Seeing as they fill up around three GC lobbies whereas EU barely fills up one and NA fills up one and a bit.

If that's any barometer to go by.

I'm not sure I'd dismiss it so quickly as a typo. I mean Tales of Xillia sold 770k copies in Japan only according to that chart. Not too hard to believe that SCV would sell 690k in both Japan and Europe, considering that Soul Calibur is somewhat popular (for a fighter) in Europe.

I think if they added US sales, SCV may have approached 1M in sales since its release 3 months ago. That's pretty solid numbers. Not as much as SFxT or even SC4, but not as much of a flop as some initially thought. And we haven't had a price drop yet I don't think (still saw it for $60 at GameStop), so there will likely be more sales once the game drops to $30. They should probably do that soon before Evo and the release of DoA5.

If they reach the 1 million mark we can rest assure that a SCVI will someday be on our way. 1 million for a fg is great mark considering that the market for this type of games is much more shorter than any other. Regarding ToX, any tales of...whatever...will sell a lot in Japan, is like their weed :P they just love those games.

I'm not sure I'd dismiss it so quickly as a typo. I mean Tales of Xillia sold 770k copies in Japan only according to that chart. Not too hard to believe that SCV would sell 690k in both Japan and Europe, considering that Soul Calibur is somewhat popular (for a fighter) in Europe.

I think if they added US sales, SCV may have approached 1M in sales since its release 3 months ago. That's pretty solid numbers. Not as much as SFxT or even SC4, but not as much of a flop as some initially thought. And we haven't had a price drop yet I don't think (still saw it for $60 at GameStop), so there will likely be more sales once the game drops to $30. They should probably do that soon before Evo and the release of DoA5.

SFxT only sold 1.4 million last Capcom reported. Which means the game that got spent millions of dollars in advertisement and development barely managed to double SCV, a game that was made in 10 minutes and had a budget of three dollars and fifty cents.

I'm betting it's a typo. The sales number matches up very neatly with the vgchartz number which is from a couple of months ago. There's no reason for them to not include US sales numbers.

The bigger question is what was SC5's budget and what Namco expected it to sell. If they did predict it to sell like this, then it's good. If they expected higher numbers, then not so good.

For the sake of reference, in the time span of 5 months SC4 sold 2.2 million copies (that's from Namco's financial reports). It was at 2.3 million at the end of that fiscal year which was 3 months later.

huh!!! although is true that SCV spent very little in marketing the game had a development of more than 1 year, actually more time than SFxT. Also it had more budget than most of the recent fighting games.

a development of more than 1 year, actually more time than SFxT. Also it had more budget than most of the recent fighting games.

Where was this revealed? For the longest time i thought it was that PS only got 8 months to make the game, and the Bamco gave them a smaller budget so they can focus more resources on making the next Tekken.

Where was this revealed? For the longest time i thought it was that PS only got 8 months to make the game, and the Bamco gave them a smaller budget so they can focus more resources on making the next Tekken.
It has been known they worked on it for more than a year. Otherwise we would have had Revelations Ezio instead of Brotherhood Ezio. I believe Ubisoft said they came to them a year ago and this was pre-release. Idk about budgets.

I think the first behind the scenes trailer mentioned they started development in mid 2010.

If they reach the 1 million mark we can rest assure that a SCVI will someday be on our way. 1 million for a fg is great mark considering that the market for this type of games is much more shorter than any other. Regarding ToX, any tales of...whatever...will sell a lot in Japan, is like their weed :P they just love those games.
Remember that they sold 2.2 million of SC4 and they considered that a failure. It's all about their expectations. I personally seriously doubt they'd consider even 1 million a success. I'm really curious what their current plans are for the series. The fact the team is still doing DLC (and potentially something not announced) gives some hope.

I'd like to think bigger DLC plans are in the works. While the consistent CAS dlc is a good thing, we've been made aware that they have a big chunk of cut content lying around, and they can't be deaf and blind to the desire for character DLC. I am quite prepared to support all things SC, just roll it out and make sure its well presented.

Looking at some of Namco's other financial reports, they have omitted some regions in a few of them (I have no idea why). They did that with Tekken 6 for instance. In the first financial report with that game listed, US was not listed. And then in the next report 3 months later they did list US sales for that game. It could be the same here. If that's the case, sales are likely somewhere above 1 mil.

I'd like to think bigger DLC plans are in the works. While the consistent CAS dlc is a good thing, we've been made aware that they have a big chunk of cut content lying around, and they can't be deaf and blind to the desire for character DLC. I am quite prepared to support all things SC, just roll it out and make sure its well presented.
I don't think it makes sense for them to do more substantial DLC. DLC will only sell to a percentage of people who bought the game. If that amount is low, then there's not much profit to gain from that.

The started early 2010. The budget as per one interview has higher than SCIV and I'm not sure but I do recall hearing somewhere that if the reach 1million mark namco will produce another entry.

damn. it's sad to think that sc4 sold so well in comparison to sc5, especially considering how much better of a game sc5 is...

I guess most people don't know what's good. Sc5 deserves better than this. I blame the lack of sales on poor advertising.

damn. it's sad to think that sc4 sold so well in comparison to sc5, especially considering how much better of a game sc5 is...

I guess most people don't know what's good. Sc5 deserves better than this. I blame the lack of sales on poor advertising.

I blame the 3 mimics and the lack of content.

From the sounds of it PS had all they need to make the game like wanted... A larger budget than before and over a year to make it. I wonder why we have so many missing styles and bad story mode.

Back