Soul Calibur V Sales Discussion

Going to add my opinion here, I would consider myself I'm between a casual and hard core gamer. Could beat most players but wouldn't win a tournament for example Because I have a full time job and a
Life.

I have to say the 1 player is poor and that is a massive problem, there is just no reason build up your skills in a comfort zone (the AI range is insane) or even care about any of the characters to expand beyond a few moves . You could try and do this online, but you will have your backside handed to you every time which of course is no fun at all. This has spread among casual games and many simply have not bought the game due to this feedback.

Three mimic characters is just unacceptable with two versions of the same character thrown in the mix as well It, just feels Lazy. Missing characters holds weight in my books, as people connect with fighting style which express the way they like to play the game. Picking up a new style is not appealing because it probably won't suit the way you like, remember gaming is all about enjoyment. let's say each of the missing characters/styles have about 2000 loyal fans and none of them buy the game because they are missing , that's a lot of missing sales

I pre ordered the game and didn't pay much attention to the marketing afterwards, simply because I enjoyed playing SC, SCII and SCIV so much(didn't play 3). It takes at least a good 6 months to be compete with hardcore gamers on-line or 0ffline

I have mained Hwang and Yun throughout and was gutted when I realised the entire fighting style had been dropped, I thought to myself I just do not have time spend another 6 months getting beaten by my online mates who still have their mains in the roster. I would imagine many others felt the same only they didn't pre-order the game, thus didn't buy it all. I'm probably going to trade it because I don't enjoy playing it.

Not a bad game at all net code is great and it looks slick, but there is nothing build connection with the characters because the story is so bad.

let's say each of the missing characters/styles have about 2000 loyal fans and none of them buy the game because they are missing , that's a lot of missing sales

Not a bad game at all net code is great and it looks slick, but there is nothing build connection with the characters because the story is so bad.

I agree with a lot of your post, Kartel. There are many aspects that we've grown accustomed to in the SC series that are absent in this iteration. With that said, I believe the developers - more or less - achieved their goal: to create a tournament-worthy game.

What we have is a rather large yet segmented fanbase of Soul Calibur, which is a testament to the fighter's depth and gameplay. Rather than try to include robust single-player modes and galleries and story modes, they focused on the actual fighting.

Soul Calibur 5 is a game that can appear hollow but in the end makes sense if you know the history behind it. A small team created something out of love for the series and did what they could with the time and money they had.

My own time spent with this version of Soul Calibur has been drastically different than the others. Where I normally played local friends and delved into the single player aspects, I now spend the majority of my time in Player lobbies. This shift isn't necessarily a bad one. In the end, I know my approach to the game is much stronger, and I've made a lot of friends in the process (and met a lot of jackasses, but it comes with the territory).

I would encourage you to take a second look before exchanging it. For the characters that were unfortunately not included, there are some wonderful additions. Patroklos is a great, solid fighter that I feel would fit your play style. Like Yun, he's flashy, cocky, and straight-forward.

This is the first time ever where I literally can't wait to log on, and I've been staying up way too late, too often, playing this game. I realize for some this game is a letdown. For me, this game has surpassed my expectations, and it did so about 100 play-hours ago.

Well, for a fighting game, thats good. Think that they need to compete with COD, BF, Assassins Creed and Mass Effect and others
To do that they need companies bribed and websites dedicated to subtle fanboyism. IGN seems to be the go-to-guy for it. I don't know how Tekken is considered more mainstream then Soul calibur though.

To do that they need companies bribed and websites dedicated to subtle fanboyism. IGN seems to be the go-to-guy for it. I don't know how Tekken is considered more mainstream then Soul calibur though.
History, Setting (Present-time, I believe), and it pretty much does its job and then some.

I would encourage you to take a second look before exchanging it. For the characters that were unfortunately not included, there are some wonderful additions. Patroklos is a great, solid fighter that I feel would fit your play style. Like Yun, he's flashy, cocky, and straight-forward.

This is the first time ever where I literally can't wait to log on, and I've been staying up way too late, too often, playing this game. I realize for some this game is a letdown. For me, this game has surpassed my expectations, and it did so about 100 play-hours ago.[/quote]

Dustinsworth'

That was written with such passion how could I not give it another go, will look Patty hopefully I have forgoton the story mode it made me hate him right off the bat!

So are the sales good or bad? I am bad at numbers for fighting games ._.
Sales are around 680k so soul calibur v is going for 700,000 copies soon, still 300,000 away from 1 mill, which is were I wanted it to get to......not bad sales at all, but I guess a flop compared to
past game sales.

I Bought Two Copies of SCV

14185212UtNF3Va6.gif

Sales are around 680k so soul calibur v is going for 700,000 copies soon, still 300,000 away from 1 mill, which is were I wanted it to get to......not bad sales at all, but I guess a flop compared to
past game sales.
680,000 is far from a flop. Even if it sold less than previous entries, that number of units sold is still very successful for a game. If it only sold 68,000, then it would be a flop.

Bumping this cause Namco released official #'s:

h5Kvo.png

SCV appears to have underperformed, but for whatever reason, this chart doesn't include US sales of SCV.

Back