Soulcalibur V Talim

ZeroEffect317

[13] Hero
I never like these topics because they are usually filled with the dreams of players who want to make their characters top tier. However, it may be constuctive with the induction of this thread here:

http://www.8wayrun.com/threads/new-soulcalibur-turn-your-voice-into-the-new-game.6513/#post-206830

So i figured it would help to focus our discussions here. Remember to be realistic, all previous 'wishlist' threads always turn into random discussions and follow its namesake of "wishes" that won't come true.

So does anyone think Talim will get redesigned in terms of playstyle in the event of an SCV version? I personally hope she doesn't, since I like the way she flows now. She really would only need a few upgrades anyway in my opinion.

Part of me wants SC2 Talim back.

But yeah SC4 Talim is a really cool character design once you figure out how to place her moves.

After playing SCII again, i would love her old WC back. Doesn't have to give a 180 step but at least leaves you in BT and doesn't automatically make you WS.

You know, as good as SC2 Talim was supposed to be, I honestly don't like that version like I used to. I think for that game she was okay, but she became rather boring to play for me. (I still don't understand the proper uses of her stances back then)

But I do agree with liking the WC2 stance. It seemed like the only useful one she had then.

I never like these topics because they are usually filled with the dreams of players who want to make their characters top tier. However, it may be constuctive with the induction of this thread here:

http://www.8wayrun.com/threads/new-soulcalibur-turn-your-voice-into-the-new-game.6513/#post-206830

So i figured it would help to focus our discussions here. Remember to be realistic, all previous 'wishlist' threads always turn into random discussions and follow its namesake of "wishes" that won't come true.

I like the way Talim plays now... but she needs the frames she had in SC2, as well as more cancels and options.

Don't worry, if Namco asks me for thoughts, I won't tell them to bring back SC2 Talim. Windsault was completely worthless in SC2 and I really do like the changes they've made to that stance.

Agreed on how SC4 Talim flows better and is more fun to use.

She feels like an near-complete design. If anything, I'd just like WC and WL to be more evasive, but I abuse them a bit...

Hm. Do you guys think they made Talim bad on purpose? And in they wanted her to be incredibly hard to use but fun? If they did I'd think they'd be too proud of how Talim is now and they wouldnt want to change the way she plays. At most they'd change her range a bit and frames. Maybe even make the WL and WS jump farther back and faster or just one of those two. Hopefully the Latter.

Hm. Do you guys think they made Talim bad on purpose? And in they wanted her to be incredibly hard to use but fun? If they did I'd think they'd be too proud of how Talim is now and they wouldnt want to change the way she plays. At most they'd change her range a bit and frames. Maybe even make the WL and WS jump farther back and faster or just one of those two. Hopefully the Latter.
These are the only things I think need changing from Talim...
  1. Talim needs to be faster, have less recovery and generally be better on frames
  2. Talim's animations, and the actual range of her moves are in conflict, fix her range issues
  3. Talim's wind leap stands needs to actually act as a back jump evade like gunslinger in SC2
  4. Backturn A+K and B+K need to auto-GI liked they used to in SC2
  5. 66K and 44K inputs need to be reversed, like SC2... this gives her better run mixups
  6. In general, her non-stance kick attacks need to go back to their SC2 inputs
  7. 1A+B needs to launch on normal hit, as well as be doable from crouch (like SC2)
  8. Either make wrA tech ground again, or make it ring out like it used to
Beyond that... I think she's fine. She does have a pretty complete design, she's just missing a few things.

Well I already gave a long post on what she needs to have fixed and changed, but to wrap it up in a nutshell...

All she needs (beyond fixing whiffing issues) is
- one or two of her good moves being safe, (preferrably 33A and windsault A+B).
- A BT 2K that knocks down always (aGIs would be great honestly, but with her current design it's not completely necessary. BT 2K would be necessary for BT mixups).
- More reliable/Quicker evasion for WL and WC
- and as people said, better frames for speed/recovery (i11 AA would be nice).

I actually like 44K being the input it is because I like to back away and throw it out as my opponent closes in or attacks. And if you really need a run mixup with sliding, you have 33B:6B which is better anyway.

The only other thing I could possibly pick at is her TJ speed. For a character who specializes in jumping evades.... except 9K/9A, all her TJs have slow evasion frames. You can be thrown out of them on wakeup, and they can't TJ many string lows. (ie: amy 3BA)

I've never actually thought about her tech jumps. That's a very good point.

And for your BT mixups I think she needs a fast BT move as well. Something with small to medium damage that can be used to poke and make the oponent stop, without actually taking her out of BT.

Comments?

BT K is the move for that. It's a shame that move is unsafe too, considering it's a high and the mid options (BT B and BT A+B) are really unsafe.

EDIT: By the way I posted the guide here. I may add a few things here and there but the gist of it is there.

Lol. I forgot about BT 2K. That shit really needs to knock down. I think it's the only one that doesn't knock down on normal hit. I believe its negative on hit and slow too. That doesn't make sense.

Lol. I forgot about BT 2K. That shit really needs to knock down. I think it's the only one that doesn't knock down on normal hit. I believe its negative on hit and slow too. That doesn't make sense.

There's a few other's that dont knock down on NH. But with those character's there's no reason to use BT 2k

I posted my thought in one of the wish list threads but I think Jaxel hit the nail on the head.

One could argue she has BT Throw for the "low" option, but it's still a pointless move. At least make it faster and not useless. Lol.

Back