Soulcalibur VI General Roster Speculation Thread

SoulCalibur VI: which 3 characters do you most hope for?

• A brand new character

• Amy

• Cassandra

• Hilde

• Hwang/Yunsung and/or Lizardman

• Rock

• Setsuka

• Viola

• Z.W.E.I.

• Other: Abyss, Algol, Dampierre, Elysium, Leixia, Li Long, Patroklos, etc.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think it would be better if they took their time with Hwang and Aeon and made them really good, maybe have them come in s2.

Lizardman as Sophie-esque one, Aeon as DLC with unique moveset.
Hwang as Xiang-esque one, Yun-Seoung as unique one.
Though I bet it won't be a very popular DLC and probably would even trigger some butthurt of like "you're selling us characters that are already in the game" or something, so it definitely won't be done.

I just realized there is merchandise for this place.

Anyway, Inferno may have different properties on some of his Nightmare moves to compensate for some of that NT stuff, so maybe he will be "reasonable" enough for tournaments.

Did anyone see a story art of Rock yet? Or Aeon? You would assume they would have to be considering their ties to main plot points of other characters, but if they don't have any, maybe that'd lend more credence to Hwang being in.

If they already get unlocked as bonus characters, I can't really see them getting a rework DLC. That would be a little weird, like how would they even handle it? Would they be Alpha Hwang and Lizardman Omega?
Similar to SoulCalibur III: Arcade Edition but instead of an Arcade Edition, it's going to be SoulCalibur VI: Season 2 instead. In SoulCalibur III: Arcade Edition; Hwang, Li Long, Amy, and I think even Voldo and a few other characters were reworked. If for example Hwang is a lot better than Xianghua in the tier list, then why bother playing Xianghua when you can play Hwang instead if their movesets are very similar. Doing character reworks in Season 2 can fix characters that are broken and can further polish and make other characters more unique. Granted, the change can't really be big enough to the point where the character won't feel like playing the same anymore. For example, Aeon is gonna have to commit to Ax and Shield now and reworkng him to Dual Ax is going to be a little awkward for players who practiced using him for a long time. Another controversial change too could be for Hwang to ditch Blue Thunder in Season 2 in favor of Blue Storm and retcon Blue Storm to be a Korean Sword which is more similar to a Katana than a Chinese Blade. This would pave the way for Yun-Seong to be the Dao user and for people to stop calling them clones since they play very differently.

Similar to SoulCalibur III: Arcade Edition but instead of an Arcade Edition, it's going to be SoulCalibur VI: Season 2 instead. In SoulCalibur III: Arcade Edition; Hwang, Li Long, Amy, and I think even Voldo and a few other characters were reworked. If for example Hwang is a lot better than Xianghua in the tier list, then why bother playing Xianghua when you can play Hwang instead if their movesets are very similar. Doing character reworks in Season 2 can fix characters that are broken and can further polish and make other characters more unique. Granted, the change can't really be big enough to the point where the character won't feel like playing the same anymore. For example, Aeon is gonna have to commit to Ax and Shield now and reworkng him to Dual Ax is going to be a little awkward for players who practiced using him for a long time. Another controversial change too could be for Hwang to ditch Blue Thunder in Season 2 in favor of Blue Storm and retcon Blue Storm to be a Korean Sword which is more similar to a Katana than a Chinese Blade. This would pave the way for Yun-Seong to be the Dao user and for people to stop calling them clones since they play very differently.
We don't NEED to make him twin axe though. It's more unique, but also generally worse than what was offered in 3 and 4... and even 1. What we have in the game already is likely going to be a fantastic variation of Sophitia's, as he was before. That's good enough for me.

It's also, unfairly or not, going to be based on how well Season 2 of Tekken 7 does. If it sells poorly, Bamco is very likely to conclude that it doesn't make financial sense to support SoulCalibur VI for the same length of time.

It's also, unfairly or not, going to be based on how well Season 2 of Tekken 7 does. If it sells poorly, Bamco is very likely to conclude that it doesn't make financial sense to support SoulCalibur VI for the same length of time.

Tekken 7 does well and will continue to do well. The hype for season 2 only shows the fans want more.

Now Soul Calibur fans need to show that we want more content for SCVI!

We don't NEED to make him twin axe though.
That's exactly what I said lol. It would be too awkward to switch him to Dual Ax and he now has too commit to Ax and Shield if that's what he is starting with. On a Season 2, Namco can start polishing and revising him based on having an Ax and Shield.

What we have in the game already is likely going to be a fantastic variation of Sophitia's, as he was before.
We still don't know how complete his moveset is. I think it can be further revised and polished to be more unique to Lizardman.

History Behind the Warrior did a breakdown video on the remaining characters and rates their possibilities to be DLC out of 10:

It's not exactly new or exciting information, but I guess someone might enjoy it, so I thought I'd share.

For future references to Bandai Namco, a good roster for SoulCalibur VII would be to take the roster from SoulCalibur III: Arcade Edition and add Hilde, Z.W.E.I., Viola, Grøh, Azwel, a new character, and a guest character then they are done.

If only it was this simple. I also find it interesting that so many characters in the series are so beloved and the roster has more parity in terms of popularity in comparison to other fighting games. When looking at the roster for Street Fighter and Tekken, there are characters that the average player wouldn't have even thought existed lol. People forget characters like Sodom and Ganryu but somehow remember Hwang.

Last edited:
For future references to Bandai Namco, a good roster for SoulCalibur VII would be to take the roster from SoulCalibur III: Arcade Edition and add Hilde, Z.W.E.I., Viola, Grøh, Azwel, a new character, and a guest character then they are done.

If only it was this simple. I also find it interesting that so many characters in the series are so beloved and the roster has more parity in terms of popularity in comparison to other fighting games. When looking at the roster for Street Fighter and Tekken, there are characters that the average player wouldn't have even thought existed lol. People forget characters like Sodom and Ganryu but somehow remember Hwang.
I mostly feel like SoulCalibur has one of the deepest lores in fighting game history, spanning across decades now, and depending on your entry point, you have fond feelings for what you started with and also what they've become. I don't think it's as easy to cut characters in this kind of environment, which is why it hurts so much when they do. SoulCalibur III had, by far, the largest cast of all, but it lacked Edge Master, amusingly enough. And it also lacked a guest character, unless you count the parts like KOS-MOS, Gil, and Valkyrie.

Adding Z.W.E.I. and Viola to the mix, though, I feel like creates an issue, as they only really exist in the post-time-skip era, and that's pretty divisive in the fanbase. The only way I can see us getting back to that is if we don't timeskip, if we actually gradually lead in to that time period, and properly establish all the new characters. This would also include bringing back Patroklos, Pyrrha, Leixia, Xiba, and Natsu, for better or for worse, but hopefully being in a situation where we don't have to lose the old characters to get the new characters. Having both Hwang and Yun-seong, along with our other pairings of Siegfried and Nightmare, Sophitia and Cassandra, and I'll even throw in Seong Mi-na and Kilik, it could potentially allow this to exist.

But then it becomes an even greater challenge to keep all this in balance, which was SoulCalibur III's greatest weakness. It had tons of content, but was poorly balanced and contained a host of glitches. I know that's why you brought up Arcade Edition, since it fixed a lot of these things, but at the same time, it leaves out Chronicles of the Sword and the rest of the custom styles, which is arguably another selling point of SoulCalibur III and its roster. A perfect and ideal world would have all of that return, be polished and balanced. Some of the custom styles still have yet to be properly represented.

That Azwel is quite interesting actually... seems like there's some kind of secondary CE in the middle of this video?
Yes, Azwel has a second Critical Edge like Kilik, except because his Soul Charge doesn't kill you automatically, you have to be at under 50% health, be in Soul Charge, and do a Critical Edge. It's almost like Algol's Critical Edge in SoulCalibur V requiring two bars to get the full effect, but a bit different. It seems to possibly deal enough damage to instantly kill? Maybe not, but it could very well be the most damaging Critical Edge in the game, on par with Kilik's second.

Edit: Formatting fix, not sure what happened with the second quote.

Last edited:
I mostly feel like SoulCalibur has one of the deepest lores in fighting game history, spanning across decades now, and depending on your entry point, you have fond feelings for what you started with and also what they've become. I don't think it's as easy to cut characters in this kind of environment, which is why it hurts so much when they do. SoulCalibur III had, by far, the largest cast of all, but it lacked Edge Master, amusingly enough. And it also lacked a guest character, unless you count the parts like KOS-MOS, Gil, and Valkyrie.
Oddly enough, the SoulCalibur games I owned did not have Hwang in it and that is who I wanted to be in the game the most lol. I actually only ever borrowed a copy of my friend's SoulCalibur III and modded it to run the Arcade Edition of the game to try it out. The reason why I wanted Hwang was actually because I started with SoulCalibur II and enjoyed playing Assassin. I find Assassin to be very different from Yun-Seong and finding out that Hwang was the original owner of the moveset is when I wanted him to appear in games.

Adding Z.W.E.I. and Viola to the mix, though, I feel like creates an issue, as they only really exist in the post-time-skip era, and that's pretty divisive in the fanbase. The only way I can see us getting back to that is if we don't timeskip, if we actually gradually lead in to that time period, and properly establish all the new characters. This would also include bringing back Patroklos, Pyrrha, Leixia, Xiba, and Natsu, for better or for worse, but hopefully being in a situation where we don't have to lose the old characters to get the new characters. Having both Hwang and Yun-seong, along with our other pairings of Siegfried and Nightmare, Sophitia and Cassandra, and I'll even throw in Seong Mi-na and Kilik, it could potentially allow this to exist.
SoulCalibur Tag Tournament maybe? But I really just mentioned them because they were new characters that didn't replace any of the original characters. It actually doesn't have to be them and it could instead be their successor or predecessor depending on whether we are talking about release date or in-game chronology. We actually don't even know how old Z.W.E.I. and Viola are and for all we know they are actually older than the original cast but stopped aging. Viola isn't officially confirmed to be Amy and for all we know Viola could be the mother of Amy, vampirism is contagious, and the reason Raphael is a vampire could be retconned to spending extensive time with Amy. As for Z.W.E.I., maybe he is cursed and could not age. They're both amnesiacs and there are a lot of mysteries behind them.

But then it becomes an even greater challenge to keep all this in balance, which was SoulCalibur III's greatest weakness. It had tons of content, but was poorly balanced and contained a host of glitches. I know that's why you brought up Arcade Edition, since it fixed a lot of these things, but at the same time, it leaves out Chronicles of the Sword and the rest of the custom styles, which is arguably another selling point of SoulCalibur III and its roster. A perfect and ideal world would have all of that return, be polished and balanced. Some of the custom styles still have yet to be properly represented.
I actually just mentioned SoulCalibur III: Arcade Edition because it had the most characters while cutting all of the non-important bonus characters. From there I just added new characters introduced after that starting from SoulCalibur IV lol. It has nothing to do with balance and I just didn't want to list down all the characters.

In a way, it's still true that you started with Hwang, since you latched on to Assassin, even if you didn't know that he was Hwang on the inside. I do strongly prefer Hwang over Yun-seong for his character and his moveset, but I understand that Yun-seong also has his own identity and moveset, and they both can exist. I just don't really care for how Hwang got eclipsed and deleted, especially when he was fully fleshed out and completed in SoulCalibur III Arcade Edition, along with Amy and Li Long, and then they only decided to keep Amy. I'm not sure what drove that decision, but it was a bad choice to make. Li Long, with his dual nunchaku style, could also coexist with Maxi, if you ask me. I'd even be alright with Arthur's grappling take on the katana...

Jeez, SoulCalibur III had tons of potential that a lot of it was just thrown out.

I thought that they were going to make a SoulCalibur Tag Tournament after SoulCalibur IV, personally. SoulCalibur V and its timeskip was a big surprise, when it seemed like the teasing of tag mechanics in SoulCalibur IV was teasing the next game in the series, being a non-canon entry, since they just wrapped up the story, to prime for some sort of reboot to get the ball rolling again. I dunno if they will give us one, though, with the new vision that SoulCalibur VI has, until after SoulCalibur VII, which I still expect to retell the stories of SoulCalibur II-IV, since they all take place in the same year.

The more characters we get, though, the harder it's going to be to balance everyone. That's the real challenge in giving everyone everything that they want.

Following Tekken's footsteps though, Tekken Tag Tournament was based on Tekken 3 and Tekken Tag Tournament 2 was based on Tekken 6 and I actually thought that we would get a SoulCalibur Tag Tournament based on SoulCalibur V but we ended up with SoulCalibur: Lost Swords instead lol. Assuming that a SoulCalibur Tag would be based on an existing SoulCalibur game but with a tag mechanic, they could always build balance on top of the older game. Besides, I actually don't think these tag games are ever focused on balancing since tagging actually mixes up a lot of character matchups. From the tag games or team games I have seen, they often have a huge character roster because of this. In a way, chaos breeds balance in tag games since there are multiple characters and counters to mix and match.

Also, I really wish Bandai Namco would release SoulCalibur III: Arcade Edition for the consoles or at least release a SoulCalibur Arcade Collection similar to what Capcom did with Street Fighter. Not a lot of people got a chance to play a balanced version of the game.

That Azwel is quite interesting actually... seems like there's some kind of secondary CE in the middle of this video?

Azwel has 2 CEs and he can use his original one even in Soul Charge. Azwel's HP doesn't drain like Kilik's does.

In the final battles with Inferno, Kilik & Xianghua both start & have unlimited Soul Charge. Kilik's HP doesn't drain vs Inferno in the main Soul Chronicle story.

Soulcalibur VI Inferno Spoilers

vlcsnap-2018-09-20-14h36m26s526.png

vlcsnap-2018-09-21-05h37m39s326.png

vlcsnap-2018-09-20-14h42m37s681.png

vlcsnap-2018-09-20-14h49m52s209.png

Back