Soulcalibur VI General Roster Speculation Thread

SoulCalibur VI: which 3 characters do you most hope for?

• A brand new character

• Amy

• Cassandra

• Hilde

• Hwang/Yunsung and/or Lizardman

• Rock

• Setsuka

• Viola

• Z.W.E.I.

• Other: Abyss, Algol, Dampierre, Elysium, Leixia, Li Long, Patroklos, etc.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I dunno why I realized just now, but having a lizardman CaS in the game that uses Sophitia's moveset, and wields an axe at that, makes me think they've just scrapped Lizardman/Aeon as a character altogether. They did a similar thing with Xiba in SCV, where they gave him bladed polearms in addition to staves to compensate for Seong Mi-na not being in the game or an actual successor of her weapon style. And even if they did think of adding Lizardman to the roster, then surely he'd be wielding an axe in this game considering that's his most iconic weapon style. (And thus mitigate the need for Sophitia to have axes in her weapon selection.)

Ahem, he’s already in the game bro and he uses a longer sword.

If he was in the game, you'd think actual Lizardmen CaS would actually be using his style, not Sophitia with an axe. The implications that he's been replaced are right there in actual footage.

If he was in the game, you'd think actual Lizardmen CaS would actually be using his style, not Sophitia with an axe. The implications that he's been replaced are right there in actual footage.

It's pretty obvious they're trying to avoid the situation that has already arrived with Bootleg Cervantes by making the CaS lizardmen shown thus far not use Lizardman's iconic left-handed fighting style. Just because Lizardmen are in as CaS races doesn't mean the Real Deal Lizardman Aeon Calcos is going to be in, so they aren't using his moveset yet in order to avoid negating the entire purpose of a reveal trailer and keep the community guessing, or perhaps even as a bait-and-switch to make his reveal all the better. So in order to avoid making it blatantly obvious that Lizardman is back in business, they put one of his alt weapons (the axe) on Sophitia's moveset so that they can show a lizardman without showing the Lizardman.

I wouldn't be so confident about this if there wasn't already the story-mode/concept art of The Bad Guys™ with left-handed Lizardman and a different sword-type to Sophitia. There'd be no point to art like this if Lizardman wasn't in and if that wasn't how he appears in-game. The axe is very likely one of his alt weapons as a shoutout to SC3/4 when he had the axe.

It's pretty obvious they're trying to avoid the situation that has already arrived with Bootleg Cervantes by making the CaS lizardmen shown thus far not use Lizardman's iconic left-handed fighting style. Just because Lizardmen are in as CaS races doesn't mean the Real Deal Lizardman Aeon Calcos is going to be in, so they aren't using his moveset yet in order to avoid negating the entire purpose of a reveal trailer and keep the community guessing, or perhaps even as a bait-and-switch to make his reveal all the better. So in order to avoid making it blatantly obvious that Lizardman is back in business, they put one of his alt weapons (the axe) on Sophitia's moveset so that they can show a lizardman without showing the Lizardman.

I wouldn't be so confident about this if there wasn't already the story-mode/concept art of The Bad Guys™ with left-handed Lizardman and a different sword-type to Sophitia. There'd be no point to art like this if Lizardman wasn't in and if that wasn't how he appears in-game. The axe is very likely one of his alt weapons as a shoutout to SC3/4 when he had the axe.

The issue here is that it doesn't seem like a flub for them to reveal Cervantes' style on an actual interview at a gaming convention. Just like how they totally revealed Mr. Wizard Guy in the CaS trailer with no prior build-up or accompanying information. It was a conscious choice for someone at Project Soul to reveal both of those things this week. And if they have no qualms about showing those off on such a grand scale, then they wouldn't have qualms about A. showing an actual Lizardman using the Lizardman's fighting style, or B. not showing any footage of a Lizardman at all.

Even then, the generic lizardmen only started using axes with their weapons after SC3, so if they really wanted to make the Lizardman's reveal all the more special, the generic one in the trailer would be using one of Sophitia's swords instead, not an axe.

No sir, we have confirmation he’s in the game through actual artwork.

It's fairly common for video game artwork to flip preferred/dominant weapon sides for the sake of aesthetics.

Even then, Aeon Calcos used a sword in his right hand.
Yes, but since they've differentiated him from Sophitia he's began being shown as left-handed, he was only right-handed before because Sophitia's moves used her right hand and he was majority derived from her moves. If he were to return wielding the sword in VI, he'll be left handed because that's become part of his character. And I have a mind to believe that he'll ditch the sword in his story mode as his character develops, giving him the axe.

It's fairly common for video game artwork to flip preferred/dominant weapon sides for the sake of aesthetics.

Even then, Aeon Calcos used a sword in his right hand.
No, he held it with his left.

3fmd56nujqh11.jpg

liza-png.49914

Consistency.

No, he held it with his left.
Not in SC1, amusingly enough. They might just be basing him on that. At first I thought the same thing: he's gone since he's no longer left-handed. But I decided to check the original animation in MAME and here's what I found.

liz-png.50509

So if they really are bringing back SC1 Aeon, it would make sense from him to be right-handed. I think this is a dumb choice since all his good and unique moves are from 3 onward, but it does match the animations. You can even tell his main weapon would be sword and shield as in the art, since his axe here clips through the shield. But that all just makes you wonder why they made him left-handed in the art.

I mean that is all nice and good, but at least that one particular Lizardmen is using Sophitia's movelist.

I will say this much, considering how Aeon and Lizardman placed in the popularity pool, I don't doubt they thought the character had a more aesthetic appeal to him and considering as soon as he shown in the story mode Vergeben said they were not certain if he was a mock character or a real part of the roster.

To be honest, the fact we have a CaS race makes Lizardman's speculation both easier and harder.

Sophie only really gets the Crystal Rod and whatever Joke Weapon as substitutes and not axes. I think we’ve seen a few more alt weapons and I’m not counting Groh’s.

Lizardman stands around and growls. Sure bring in a new more lizardy CaS style, but as an individual he adds nothing to the game. Is why he was literally named the Lizardman. The only thing that matters is the aesthetics which are interesting and cool. Adding the Lizardman race adds more to the game than Lizardman ever did or could with his growly boring self.

Ok so Cervantes got leaked, they showed tira and Okubo confirmed the wizard guy as playable his name probably being Azwel. This leaves us 3 slots left. My bets on Raphael, Hwang and Lizardman. What's your guess? Who do you want it to be?

but at least that one particular Lizardmen is using Sophitia's movelist.
But the animation is not the same. I literally just showed it. They could maybe have redone a few animations for when the Lizardman race uses Sophitia's style, but that's an inordinate amount of effort for what is clearly the cheapest game in the series.
Sure bring in a new more lizardy CaS style, but as an individual he adds nothing to the game.
What? He's the only animal character in the series, that's plenty to bring. CaS is not tournament legal for a variety of obvious reasons, and anyone who mained him for five games would be rightfully pissed if they could no longer compete with their character.

But the animation is not the same. I literally just showed it. They could maybe have redone a few animations for when the Lizardman race uses Sophitia's style, but that's an inordinate amount of effort for what is clearly the cheapest game in the series.

What? He's the only animal character in the series, that's plenty to bring. CaS is not tournament legal for a variety of obvious reasons, and anyone who mained him for five games would be rightfully pissed if they could no longer compete with their character.

I was about to jump on the comment myself but you beat me to it. He adds just as much substance to the game as anyone else. Its a different moveset and movesets are what matters in a fighting game.

Not in SC1, amusingly enough. They might just be basing him on that. At first I thought the same thing: he's gone since he's no longer left-handed. But I decided to check the original animation in MAME and here's what I found.

liz-png.50509

So if they really are bringing back SC1 Aeon, it would make sense from him to be right-handed. I think this is a dumb choice since all his good and unique moves are from 3 onward, but it does match the animations. You can even tell his main weapon would be sword and shield as in the art, since his axe here clips through the shield. But that all just makes you wonder why they made him left-handed in the art.
Going by that logic, Nightmare shouldn't be holding Soul Edge with one hand because he didn't do that until SCIII (after Siegfried broke free of Nightmare, no less). Well, here we are...

Back