Stance Evasion Study

HajimeOwari

[11] Champion
Stance Evasion Study
The point of this study is to know when it is and isn't safe to shift into a stance for the purposes of evading an attack. Obvious attacks that can be evaded will not be listed (i.e. 2K can be evaded using Pogo, etc.) unless there are strange issues with punishing (i.e. off axis FLE K, etc.). The study has been expanded to include 4A+B and A+K. If there is a guaranteed way to get REF A+B, it will be added as well.
Anything that is considered useful for actual matches are marked with an *. Usefulness will be based on whether the move is even being used by players and how safe the evasive maneuver is. If 4A+B is involved, the life cost of using 4A+B is also considered.

Stances

Neutral to FLE: TJ on the 7th frame (same as 8G and 7_8_9B)
Neutral to DRG: TJ on the 10th frame.
Neutral to MED: TC on the 13th frame.
Neutral to INT: TC on the 9~11th frame.
Crouching to INT: TC the entire time.
4A+B Teleport: Step/Teleport on 6th-7th frame.
A+K (Flash): Auto-GIs High and Mid Horizontals. Can hit the opponent if they’re close enough. Free 3B after.
FLE to DRG: High TJ over DRG level attacks and below.

Attack - Evasive maneuver – Punishment
(All attacks are assumed to be on block unless stated otherwise.)
Amy

B
*3BA - FLE after 1st hit - FLE K Combos.

6BB Series
From 6BB, Amy can finish the string with another B or input 236 to continue pressuring.
6BBB - 4A+B after 2nd hit - Back throw.
6BB 236BB - 4A+B after 2nd hit - Back throw. Will need to run up to opponent.
6BB 236K K_:A - 4A+B after 2nd hit - 3B combos.

Multi-button Presses
*4A+B - 4A+B - Back throw.
4A+B - DRG - DRG B_K Combos. Must be at nearly point blank range at the start. You must time the DRG a little over halfway through the UB animation. Follow-up must be done immediately after.
4B+KB - 4A+B after 1st hit - Back throw. Amy players can hit check this string, so you won’t see that last B against good Amy’s.

8WR
*66A - 4A+B - Back throw.
*66A (far) - 4A+B - 3B Combos.
66BA - 4A+B (anticipate only) - Back throw.

66A+B - 4A+B (anticipate only) - Back throw or 3B combos depending on range.

Crest Form (A+K)
*A - 4A+B - 3B Combos.
*K - 4A+B - 6K (immediately).
*B - 4A+B - Back throw.

Astaroth
1AB (If close) - FLE the A - FLE K Combos before the B.
1AB (If far) - FLE during the A, FLE -> DRG when the B comes down - Punish with DRG B_K combos.

Cassandra

A
*6AAA - A+K Immediately after 2nd hit - Auto-GI. Free AA if JI unless opponent GIs back.
3AK - 4A+B after 1st hit - 3B Combos.
*4AB - 4A+B after 1st hit - 3B Combos.
WS A_[A] - A+K - If close, you'll hit. If not, Auto-GI. Better early than late.

B
BK - 4A+B after first hit - Nothing free. Not even iMCF. =(
2BB series - 4A+B after first hit - Back throw.
*4BB:A - A+K the 3rd hit - If close, you'll hit. If far, Auto-GI.
2B8B series - 4A+B after first hit - Back throw. She crouches on landing, so throw immediately after she lands.
8KB - 4A+B a bit before the 2nd hit - Free 3B Combos (Impractical. There's plenty of time to react with normal options)

Multi-Button Presses
*B+K - 4A+B after first hit if there is any delay - Back throw.
8[B+K] – Run forward and you’ll run underneath her. Any other evasion stance is highly range dependent. DGF will give you the most options if you can get into DGF safely.
8A+K K_~K - 4A+B after first hit - 3B Combos.

8WR
*22_88AA - A+K – A+K hits and GIs simaltaneously.
22 - 4A+B (EARLY!) - 3B Combos. (impractical. Risky.)
44bA UB - 4A+Bx2 or FLE 2_8 or DRG -> SDRG - 4A+B or SDRG give the best opportunities. FLE 2_8 is the fastest escape without costing life. Doesn't seem like she can hit you when you're in SDRG.
33_99 KA+K - 4A+B (EARLY!) on hit or block - 3B Combos. (impractical. Risky.)
22_88 KK_~K - 4A+B after 1st hit - 3B Combos.
66_33_99B+KAB - 4A+B after 2nd hit - 3B Combos.
66_33_99B+KAK - FLE after 2nd hit - FLE K Combos.

Kilik
22_88 AAA - FLE between first and second hit - FLE K, DRG A (timed). You'll end up in BT DRG, so DRG A+B will whiff.
Downed A+B - FLE to DRG - FLE K combos.

Lizardman

A
1AK - FLE the 1st it, FLE -> DRG to avoid the 2nd hit - DRG B_K mix-up potential if still in front.

K
1K_[K] - FLE - FLE K Combo. (Tested to make sure the FLE K would actually hit)

Multi-button Presses
1B+K_B+KG - FLE - FLE 66 to punish everything.
22_88AA - 4A+B after 1st hit - Back throw. Pause slightly. MED possible if you use it early (not practical).
11AK - 4A+B after 1st hit_FLE before 1st hit - 4A+B = 3B Combos. FLE = Wait for the K to finish for FLE K Combos or you'll be off axis.
44AB_[A]B - MED before 1st hit - MED dodges the entire string (impractical).
66B+KAB_B+KA~B (no delay to partial delay) - 4A+B immediately after 2nd hit - Back throw.
66B+KA~B (partial delay to full delay) - slightly delayed 4A+B after 2nd hit - Back throw.
If you 4A+B immediately after the 2nd hit and your opponent does a full delay, you'll need to block the last B.
2BB+K - 4A+B between 1st and 2nd hit - 3B Combos.

Mitsurugi

A
*1AB - FLE - FLE the 1A and then FLE K once you realize the B is coming. Can 4A+B if you didn't react to the 1A in time. Strict timing if you 4A+B the B.

B
FC 1BB_ - REF after 1st hit - REF A Combo.

K
*2KB - FLE 1st hit, FLE 2_8 the second hit - FLE K Combos. If you see this coming early you can FLE K before the B comes. If you get into FLE late, Mitsu's B will beat you out. It's best to FLE 2_8 if you think you're late getting into FLE.

8WR
66BB - 4A+B after 1st hit - Back throw. (Impractical. Steppable to Mitsu's right)
11_77 BAB - 4A+B after 2nd hit if you expect the last B - Back throw.

MST
6BB_~B - 4A+B after 1st hit - 3B Combos.

Nightmare

A
3A2A - FLE between first and second hit - FLE K or FLE {B} combos (You can hit confirm Night doesn't do 3AA and still FLE over the 2A part of 3A2A)
WS A,A6~GS = Between first and second hit - A+K_4A+B 3B combos
WS A,A B -23~-22 H x - Between 1st and second hit = A+K_4A+B 3B combos

Raphael
MED makes everything from SEA wiff (Impractical)

Siegfried

Multi-button Presses
A+KA2AA - FLE after 2nd hit - FLE K Combos.

8WR
44 B__BG - 4A+B - If close to Sieg when you 4A+B, back throw. If far, 3B Combos.

SBH
Moves that lead into SBH include: 44....(to be completed later)
SBH B_K_[K] - 4A+B after 1st hit - 3B Combos. Evades everything from SBH except for A.
SBH A+B - 4A+B between the first and second hit, FLE if you see him flying towards you - 3B Combos or FLE K Combos.

SRSH
SRSH A_B_K - 4A+B upon seeing him run forward - Punish with 3B Combos.

Sophitia

A
AK - 4A+B after 1st hit - AA. Not worth it.
1A - FLE - FLE Combos.
1A - 4A+B before 1st hit - Back throw.
1AA - 4A+B after 1st hit - 3B Combos. Potential back throw depending on positioning.
4AAA - 4A+B after 1st hit - Back throw.
4AB - 4A+B after 1st hit - 3B Combos. Back throw if you step to her back.

B
2BB - 4A+B after 1st hit - 3B Combos. Back throw if you dash forward.
2B8B series - 4A+B after 1st hit - Back throw.

K
KK - A+K - Just impact, A.
1[K] - FLE - FLE K Combos.

Multi-button Presses
Multi-button Presses
WS [A+B] - 4A+BA+B - Back throw.
WS [A+B] - MED (EARLY!), 6A+B - A+B while in MED 6A+B.
WS [A+B] - FLE (EARLY!), FLE -> DRG - Nothing.
B+KB - 4A+B after 1st hit - Back throw.
8[B+K] - 66 (That's right. Just run forward.) - If you're not right under her you can get creative with FLE A+K, FLE -> DRG, etc.
A+KK - 4A+B - Back throw or side throw. (Impractical, Risky).
9A+KAB - 4A+B after 1st hit - Back throw.
9A+KB - 4A+B after 1st hit - Back throw.
9A+KK - 4A+B after 1st hit - 3B Combos.

8WR
11_77A[A] - FLE 1st hit, FLE -> DRG 2nd hit - Credit to Lolo for most of these. Saw them on his video
11_77A[A] - MED, MED 6A+B after blocking 1st hit- A&B while in MED 6A+B.
11_77A[A] - 4A+BA+B after eating 1st hit - Back throw.
11_77A[A] - INT, INT A after eating 1st hit - Back throw.
44aB - 4A+B or be in SDRG - Back throw, SDRG B, etc. (Just step it).
22 - 4A+B - Back throw.
22 - A+K - Will hit at all but max range. No damage and weird effect at max range.
66B+KAB_B+KA~B (no delay to partial delay) - 4A+B immediately after 2nd hit - Back throw.
66B+KA~B (partial delay to full delay) - slightly delayed 4A+B after 2nd hit - Back throw.
If you 4A+B immediately after the 2nd hit and your opponent does a full delay, you'll need to block the last B.

Angel Step
AA - FLE after 1st hit - FLE K Combos.

Angel Sidestep
BAB - 4A+B after 2nd hit - Back throw, 3B Combos.

Twin Angel Step
AA - Fle after 1st hit - FLE K Combos.
AA - 4A+B after 1st hit - 3B Combos.

Taki

A
AB4A+B - FLE_DRG - FLE 3K_DRG K combos.

B
BA A_6K - 4A+B after 2nd hit - 3B Combos. 4A+B dodges both. Doubt any Takis will ever use this string, though.
BBB (normal or delayed last hit) - 4A+B afer 2nd hit - 3B Combos.
B[K] (partial to full delay) - 4A+B (anticipate) after 1st hit - 3B Combos.
*B[K] (partial to full delay) - A+K (react) after 1st hit - A+K (hit) at close. Auto-GI far.
BA[K] (partial to full delay) - 4A+B (anticipate) after 1st hit - 3B Combos.
*BA[K] (partial to pull delay) - A+K (react) afer 1st hit - A+K (hit) at close. Auto-GI far.

K
3KKK - 4A+B after 2nd hit - 3B Combos (Impractical. Block all 3 hits, get a free 3B)
3KKK - A+K the 3rd hit - A+K (hit). (Impractical. Block all 3 hits, get a free 3B)
22KA - A+K after 1st hit - Auti-GI. No punishment. (Impractical. Taki players can hit confirm the 22K).

Multi-button Presses
4A+BB (aka bombs) - DGF after 2nd hit - DGF K Combos.
6A+B - FLE_DGF
A+B - FLE_DGF

Wind Roll (WR), Wind Roll Back (WRB), Wind Roll Side (WRS)
With the exception of a plain WR, WRS, and WRB, all of Taki's WR options (A_B_K_B+G_A+G) can be cut off by A+K. To hit her, you must A+K as she is completing her WR. Even if Taki preceded her WR with a string on hit or miss (i.e. 3KK), A+K will come out in time to hit Taki. 3B is free after. If taki does a WRB, 4A+B after the A+K will dodge WRB A_B and give a free 3B Combo. If Taki does a WRS, you'll recover in time from the A+K to block her WS K_AA. If Taki does nothing and you A+K, she gets a free WS hit. Despite that free hit, keep in mind that any frame advantage Taki may have gained by hitting you with an attack prior to going into WR is now useless.

*WR A_B_K_B+G_A+G - A+K when the WR is about complete - A+K (hit), 3B.
*WRB A_B - Assuming you attempted to A+K the first WR, A+B immediately after will avoid WRB A_B - 3B Combos.
BT WR K - A+K when WR is half complete - A+K (hit), 3B. (Impractical. The risk is greater than reward on this one).

PO

*B_K_8K_A+B - 4A+B after the starting string into PO - 3B Combos.
A - 4A+B A+B after the starting string into PO - 3B Combos (impractical). Doing a single 4A+B will result in Yoshi getting hit by the 2nd hit of PO A.

PO Hover
A - REF - REF A Combos. (Impractical. Just BB.)
B - 4A+B - 3B Combos. (Impractical. Just BB.)

EDIT:: Amy, Cassie, and Lizardman mostly complete. Reformatted the post to match the style of the punishment thread.
EDIT 11/11/08:: Taki added.

Much credit goes to Orionics for his Character Punishment Thread.

Placeholder in the event this study somehow takes up more space than a single post allows.

Amy
3BA = between 1st and 2nd hit pogo K or {B}. pogo B will evade amy 3B 6BB.

Raph
MED makes everything from SEA wiff (not that practical)

taki
PO hover A = REF makes it wiff for free REF A.
PO hover B = could potentially REF A+B B

Nightmare
3A2A = between 1st and 2nd hit pogo {B} or K combos

sophie
236AA = PG or DGF B after blocking first hit
236236AA = PG or DGF B after blocking first hit

can't remember anymore now
i have some info like this in the punishment thread.

can't remember anymore now
i have some info like this in the punishment thread.

Yeah, I saw. =) Was hoping we could cover all stance specific stuff here, including, but not limited to, stance-related punishment. There will be a bit of an overlap, but my intention is not to create another punishment thread (which is very useful and greatly appreciated). I'll integrate stuff from your thread here, though, just for the sake of completeness and to avoid redoing work.

Who knows. Maybe we'll find something practical you can add to the punishment thread.

Who knows. Maybe we'll find something practical you can add to the punishment thread.

that be great! :D

while 4A+B isn't a stance it can evade many strings, did you think about including it in this study.

this info might also be useful

2B+K = MED
TC at 13th frame

B+K=FLE
TJ on the 7th frame which is the same as 8G_8B_8K

8B+K = DGF
TJ on the 10th frame

Orionics: Noted! Much thanks for the info. Well, since I'm already going the all inclusive route, you're right that 4A+B will be tested. I'll add that in.

Eltoshan: Yes, I see that. No worries, I'll be checking this thread on a regular basis. Any valid information posted in this thread will be integrated into the main post when I see it. That frame information was not integrated into the main post because I haven't checked the forums in the past hour. =p If you don't see data hit the main post after a couple DAYS, please notify me then.

Nightmare

WS A,A6~GS = Between 1st and second hit = A+K_4A+B 3Bcombos

WS A,A B -23~-22 H x = Between 1st and second hit = A+K_4A+B 3Bcombos

On Nightmare 3A2A you can hit confirm Night doesn't do 3AA and still FLE over the 2A part of 3A2A

4A+B seems to evade at the 6~7frame.

So, my testing seems correct. FLE -> DRG has some evasion properties to it. I have yet to do extensive testing on it, but FLE -> DRG does manage to avoid Asta's B from 1AB. So, you can shift to FLE to TJ the A, then shift to DRG to avoid the B. Then punish with DRG B_K. ^_^ Not sure how many other practical applications there are to this, though.

Hey ! lol this is kinda what i was going for with the drunken stance study thread but I guess i'll just post what I'm doing here now ;) Prolly be a few more days but I'm testing the top ten moves for every character... or what the forums say are the top ten for every character... so i'll post it up when i'm done! ;)

and I know for sure Flea to DRG evades some highs.... I posted it quite a while back on caliburforum.... 4A+B is godly... If you do 4A+B to the B+G4 grab it negates the life it takes off pretty much ;) so you can throw it out whenever you like....

Nice job so far!! :) Maybe we can get on tonight and do some testing as well!

sophie
4AAA = between the 1st and 2nd hit = 4A+B 3B combos
4AB = between 1st and 2nd hit = 4A+B 3B combos

nice find on the FLE -> DGF transition

The interesting thing about FLE -> DRG is not that it evades highs, but that it evades verticals. O.o The question is, which ones and why?

The interesting thing about FLE -> DRG is not that it evades highs, but that it evades verticals. O.o The question is, which ones and why?

Well Id say we could find out tonight but you cant really be online to test stance evasion... thats why I keep waiting on my friend to come over so I can finish my study... But i'm pretty sure the reason is because hes basicly in SDGF for the peak part of the transition.... so if you did evade a verticle it would probably only be one... so if they did B,B your pretty much F'd either way... but you can also fly right and left when you get into DRG so just push 8A+B and it will evade the other one maybe?? ha i'm not sure i'll defintely try it out sometime tonight even if i have to program the computer to do the moves...

Also ha thats awesome about the 4A+B on sophie... you should post that in the character match up thread so the soph fans will hush it on how easy it is for sophie to beat yoshi.... lol they have no idea the work we do in these yoshi forums....

I knew that seemed odd. Both of those attacks I cited don't have hit frames until about Asta's head height. It appeared Yoshi was passing right through them, though. >_< Most Bs hit during their full length, so dodging verticals isn't going to happen. Still a great evasion tool, though. =)

PG -> DRG dodges many verticals actually, i had it do so many times. It's sketchy, but it kinda passes through him sometimes. Not consistent but good to know. The evade is useful.

how much damage does yoshi take from 4A+B?

Not positive but I think one spin is 20 dmg.... so if you do the spin to the B+G4 throw it makes it pretty safe everytime... lol unless they start reversing ;) but then you just reverse and the mindgames never stop... either way you still got like +14 adv i forgot exactly...

20 dmg sounds about right for each spin.... maybe a little more maybe a little less...

Pretty sure its 21 damage for the initial spin, and 3 damage less for each subsequent spin (i.e. 21, 18, 15, etc.) . If you 4A+B 3 times (not in a row) and then B+G4 2 times (which heals for 60 total), you'll still be missing a sliver of life. It does work out nicely mathematically. You can only spin 7 times and spin 7 only costs you 3 life.

Back