Tekken 7 is a thing...

New character reveal for Tekken 7: Lidia Sobieska, prime minister of Poland.

Another EZ & OP P2W character just like Leroy Smith. Having a EZ Mode i12 launch is so dumb. Heihachi became much more interesting when he lost his classic df 12 in Tekken 6.

I'm actually expecting them to nickel and dime us for DLC even more in tekken 8. It wouldn't surprise me if they launch with a small roster and then charge us to hell just to get 30+ characters again
50 + Characters would be like TTT2. That game flopped due to the Tagging & 50+ characters in the base game. Games have to have DLC now. SSFIV was successful with DLC. People only had to buy SSFIV & they could upgrade to the newest versions. T7 followed the format & got 7 Million + sales compared to TTT2's 1.5 Million on Xbox 360, PS3, & Wii U.

50 + Characters would be like TTT2. That game flopped due to the Tagging & 50+ characters in the base game. Games have to have DLC now. SSFIV was successful with DLC. People only had to buy SSFIV & they could upgrade to the newest versions. T7 followed the format & got 7 Million + sales compared to TTT2's 1.5 Million on Xbox 360, PS3, & Wii U.
That's not why TTT2 "flopped" which it didn't by Bamco's standards. The original TTT didn't do so great either by your standards and that was a PS2 launch title. Didn't stop a sequel from being made. If the pattern is any indication, we'll be getting TT3 whenever Tekken 9 releases (if the series lasts that long). Games don't have to have DLC to be successful (especially considering how scummy the practice has gotten) and I wouldn't exactly use SSFIV as an example considering that pissed a lot of people off including myself. The Tag Tournament games (especially the first one) are quite popular and well-loved by the Tekken community as well so I wouldn't use sales to justify your position.

Gamers want games that are complete upon release and as far as fighting games are considered, they're tired of being nickeled and dimed for content that should be free or released with the base game. Until companies start distributing DLC correctly without ripping gamers off, expect a lot of piracy to happen (not that I condone it of course).

We're being nickeled and dimed because fighting games are niche and the only way to get long term support is by having this DLC model. Soul Calibur was already having characters cut long before this DLC model was being used so the term complete game is a misnomer where we're concerned.

AS for TTT2, my understanding is that most core Tekken players don't want a tag game. They like it as a curiosity but not as the main play style for Tekken. It's for this reason why I don't think TTT3 is going to happen, or if it did the sales would be below expectations.

We're being nickeled and dimed because fighting games are niche and the only way to get long term support is by having this DLC model. Soul Calibur was already having characters cut long before this DLC model was being used so the term complete game is a misnomer where we're concerned.

AS for TTT2, my understanding is that most core Tekken players don't want a tag game. They like it as a curiosity but not as the main play style for Tekken. It's for this reason why I don't think TTT3 is going to happen, or if it did the sales would be below expectations.
That's why the Tag games are spin-offs and not games in the actual series. Also you can do solo fights in the Tag games as well if you just want core gameplay. TTT3 will happen because the demand is there and also there's a pattern like I said. Every 3 Tekken games, there's a Tag game to come. Core players aren't the only players in the fanbase. Casual gamers do exist and we do matter since we tend to outnumber them by a wide margin. As for expectations, I don't think Bamco has large expectations for Tekken games in general whether they're spin-offs or not since it's a franchise that sells by name alone. They can afford to release a fun-filled party game every once in a while. God I miss Tekken Card Tournament :(

Long-term support can't happen with fighting games since they're niche like you stated. No matter how much DLC companies pull out for some fighting games, if gamers aren't interested, it isn't gonna happen. Why do you think other 3D fighters that aren't Tekken don't do very well despite having tons of DLC? I ask this as a huge Dead or Alive fan myself and DOA6 was dead on arrival (pun fully intended) unlike DOA5 which still has players today like myself. I also love Virtua Fighter but that's a whole different situation.

DLC needs to be exclusive to characters only. I don't want modes (especially offline modes like Tekken Bowl) and costumes being hidden behind a paywall. While we're on the subject, we need more offline modes period. That alone will create a lot of long-term support especially from me. And we need more online modes. MORE CONTENT PLEASE. I'm talking Soul Calibur 3 levels of content just without all the bugs and glitches.

So feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but Tekken Tag 1 didn't seem to have this insanely complicated Tag mechanic. For what it was, it was pretty simple and built off Tekken 3. Imo Tag 1 is still an easy game to enjoy even if the balance is shit.

Tekken Tag 2 on the other hand has a lot more going on with its Tag mechanics, and then you have Tekken 6 and the bound stuff on top of that. I got the impression that Tag 2 was a bit of a mess and the roster + mechanics made it a pain to manage for the best players. Or it just wasn't as fun as older games because of it.

Maybe it defeats the purpose, but if they made a Tag 3 maybe don't make it overly complicated? Tag 1 was made pretty quickly and was essentially an expansion for Tekken 3. They unintentionally caught lightning in a bottle.

So feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but Tekken Tag 1 didn't seem to have this insanely complicated Tag mechanic. For what it was, it was pretty simple and built off Tekken 3. Imo Tag 1 is still an easy game to enjoy even if the balance is shit.

Tekken Tag 2 on the other hand has a lot more going on with its Tag mechanics, and then you have Tekken 6 and the bound stuff on top of that. I got the impression that Tag 2 was a bit of a mess and the roster + mechanics made it a pain to manage for the best players. Or it just wasn't as fun as older games because of it.

Maybe it defeats the purpose, but if they made a Tag 3 maybe don't make it overly complicated? Tag 1 was made pretty quickly and was essentially an expansion for Tekken 3. They unintentionally caught lightning in a bottle.
Yeah basically my overall point. With the Tag games, Bamco not only has to add the new characters but they also have to add in new mechanics as well which can confuse players who haven't played some of the recent games. Tag 2 also lacked Tekken Bowl which was a HUGE mistake. The large roster was a plus for Tag 2. Not a minus. Large rosters need to come back in fighting games because the more, the merrier am I right?

If Tag 3 is ever made (I highly think it will be), then Bamco will have to add the Rage mechanics but Bound will be removed (THANK GOD!). Not sure what Tekken 8 and 9 will have.

While Bandai Namco haven't confirmed this directly, it seems very likely Tekken 8 is in the works:

The series will be 30 years old in December 2025. Here's a good opportunity to promote something related to the game. :sc2nm1: Well, I would accept an SCLS 2.0 or a if it's not too much to ask for a remaster of an old game, but I doubt they'll risk another spin-off. :sc5nat1:

Back