Thank You For Everything, Jaxel

350z

[09] Warrior
Often, I usually apologize for a great wall of text. But not this time. Let me get to it:

As a public high school teacher in a major metropolitan area, I know what it’s like do something important yet which is often overlooked and underappreciated. I know I have made it a point to publically and personally thank Jaxel for every tournament at his home, but I want to take this opportunity to especially thank him and, more importantly, his mother for the many hours of enjoyment that I have experienced at the Axelrod home.

My first tournament at Jaxel’s was almost three years ago. I arrived at Jaxel’s house and rang the doorbell. I was more than a little uneasy because I couldn’t actually believe that there was going to be a real-live tournament in someone’s house, lol! Jaxel’s mother answered the door. And as poilitely as I could manage, I asked her if I was in the right place. She said yes and showed me to Jaxel’s room out by the garage, where I met Jaxel and played games with him and Kowtow. From that point forward, I made every Jaxel tournament for SC3 (and most for SC4), so I have quite a few memories that I am grateful for.

When first meeting Jaxel, I can understand how there are those who could consider Jaxel’s mannerisms difficult to handle. But I have to say that once those people look past that veneer, they would see Jaxel as a generous and committed person. I have witnessed his generosity and conviction to the SC community on too many occasions to mention. But just a few from my personal experience:

--I have seen Jaxel repair memory cards, computers, joysticks, game systems, and controllers for people—for free!

--He has offered professional expertise with software and hardware for all sorts of people—for free (or for such a nominal cost that it was an amazing bargain).

--He has provided help with networks and websites at a moment’s notice—for free.

--He has provided travelling players a place to stay in his very own home—for free.

-He has offered food and drink in his home—sometimes at a cost—often for free (except he will get mad if people drink too many of his Propels, lol).

--He has used personal financial resources and his very personal living space to create, organize, and execute tournaments. And while this may seem like a small thing, I want to remind people that Jaxel hated SC3 and didn’t even play it, yet he ran monthlies from his home and three successful majors from that home for a game that he couldn’t even stand to look at nonetheless play.

--He took many, many suggestions and sought additional help from many different people in the community about the creation, construction, and operation of 8wayrun; the very name itself comes from a player in the community. Hell, he even asked me things, and as long as the website was functional, I didn’t have too many things to add.

--He has used his valuable time to help create and maintain 8wayrun—for free.

The litany could extend itself, but I think I have made my point. Is Jaxel perfect? Well, anyone with half a brain should be able to recognize the answer and the purpose of that rhetorical question. But as a member of the SC community, I am glad to have him.

And, Jaxel, because I know what it’s like to be under appreciated and overlooked, I want make sure that you are not. Jaxel, I admire your generosity and commitment to the SC scene. I just wish I had the same as you. With the November tournament being the last tournament at your house, I want to say a special thank you for everything that you and your family has done to make gaming a pleasure. It should almost go without saying that without your home, things will be different, and the knee-jerk reaction is to proclaim doom and gloom for the future of the Kogarasumaru/Crooked Jester tournaments. But the one thing I have learned in these last three years is that, Jaxel, you are one resourceful person. I’m sure you already have something in place to keep the scene alive, and I hope that you can share this with you mother:

Mrs. Axelrod, I’m not sure that you remember me (as I’m sure it seems as though there is an endless parade of strangers in your home each month because of the large number of attendees to Jason’s tournaments), but I would like to express my eternal gratitude for extending to me your very beautiful home and astounding hospitality (I remember being in Jason’s room one Friday night in winter of ’08 and you and Karen gave us some designer cookies and sushi and other delicious foods to eat as a snack). Jason once told me that when you throw a party (or are responsible for being hostess) that you are the best and spare no expense at being the best. Unequivocally, I believe that. I want to tell you that from the time you led me to Jason’s room lo those three years ago, you have been the most gracious hostess both directly and indirectly for me and the entire East Coast SC scene, and my sincerest thanks and gratitude is what I want to share with you at this point for that. The monthly gatherings have come to mean so much to many of us, and the friendships and camaraderie that we have gained and shared in this time has been because of your generosity. I wanted to take this public forum and express that gratitude for all to see, as I’m sure that I am not alone with these sentiments. I wish you luck and success in all of your future endeavors, and, once more, thank you.

ditto pretty much everything 350z said. I always did kind of marvel at how extraordinarily long-suffering jay's mom was, though. there were some goddam shenanigans going on in that house and its surroundings on tournament nights. but yeah, as someone who spent a good two or three years of his life spending 10~12 hours at jay's place every week...

...man, thanks. i don't have a single bad memory of that house, aside from finding two year old mayo in the fridge.

/sniff

I wish I had thought of the idea of making this thread first, but Larry is like 20 times a classier guy than I am, so naturally he beat me to it.

I've only been around the offline SC scene for a little over a year (September 2008), but it almost feels like a lifetime with all the friendships I've made and the hours upon hours of sessioning and work I've put into this game. And among those people I've come across, I can honestly say that one of the people I respect the most out the of community is Jaxel.

Larry is correct that Jay may appear a bit abrasive at first, but once you get to know him and look past all that, you'll find a resourceful and dedicated man to this community. And he's a cool guy, too. I have the utmost repect and admiration for everything that he has done for us including hosting the monthlies and putting up this website once caliburforum went to shit. Additionally, he's been pretty helpful to me personally by allowing me to stay overnight at his house free of charge during sessions and tournaments, and for actually assisting me in the wiki entries I did for Seong Mi-na. There I was, one late night at my former job creating a "rough draft" of a wiki punishment guide and all of a sudden, I see that Jay logs into the page, checks the data I want to provide and creates a table template for me right then and there for me to work from. I didn't even have to ask him.

Plus, he remains loyal to Talim, his favorite character. Anyone who knows me knows that I have the utmost respect for it because I know how difficult it is to compete with a character who isn't exactly tournament viable.

Anyway, without babbling on too much more, I'm just going to follow Larry's lead and say thank you, Jay, for everything that you've done for us and will continue to do.

Thank you Jaxel for 8wayrun. =]

if it was'nt for this site i would never of known half the stuff about soulcalibur as i do now.

Too bad I don't live in your part of the World Jaxel, I would have probably enjoyed your company and the company of the 8way run folks while playing SC. At least I have 8wayrun for my SC needs and for that many thanks Jaxel and company. :)

Jaxel, I had a similar experience with your gatherings. Not only are you and the community that has cultivated around you welcoming and hospitable, but you and the players you attract are willing to bend over backwards to help each other out. I'm still -- to this day -- utterly impressed with what you have accomplished.

My biggest regret is that I can't be around for the last hurrah at the Jaxeldome. Thank your mother for me if you would, and thank you for the fun times that still aren't over.

I also thank Jaxel for 8wayrun and all the other guys who also contributed and made 8wayrun the awesome and informative place it is.

Jaxel I would like the thank you for taking the torch from Soul Calibur 3 and beyond for so many years. I've been both helpful to you and done some dumb shit at your house. I once knocked a table at the end of his couch off the dais. It made a shit ton of noise and sent a bunch of his stuff to the ground and jaxel was cool about it the entire time. Best of luck to you in running tournaments at the Break. I know I'll be down in November and hopefully January or Febuary.

Yes, mucho thanks to Jaxel for the website and all he's done. I've managed to get to a couple of weeklies, so I know how awesome those are.

What's this about the "last weekly." WTF?

Yes, mucho thanks to Jaxel for the website and all he's done. I've managed to get to a couple of weeklies, so I know how awesome those are.

What's this about the "last weekly." WTF?

Jaxel's mom has dropped the hammer and said no more tournaments

I wish everyone was as appreciative of Jaxel's house as the people who have posted here, you guys would probably still be having tournies there. Wherever the next spot for tournaments winds up being, take Larry's lead and show appreciation for what you've got.

Jaxel's a sonofabitch to deal with sometimes but he did a lot for people in the community, and it was taken for granted too often. All I hope is that people learn from this, and become an even better community.

I once knocked a table at the end of his couch off the dais. It made a shit ton of noise and sent a bunch of his stuff to the ground and jaxel was cool about it the entire time.

I totally remember that! you had such a sheepish aw shucks look on your face.

Meanwhile, Jay's mom's living room is filled with unwashed gamers, gamers passed out on the couch with their hands down their pants, gamers sprawled over the rug sawing logs, gamers in the garage doing unspeakable things to emptied two liter bottles of soda, gamers clogging the downstairs toilet, gamers hitting each other with molding strips, gamers chainsmoking on the patio, gamers shouting obscenities to any god man or animal with the ability to hear, gamers peeing on the lawn because the toilet's been clogged, gamers sitting in front of flickering screens with glazed eyes playing their hundredth match of the night and still saying one more, gamers spilling beer on the heads of willowy blonde female Ivy players from Scranton, gamers slicing up bloody pieces of meat, gamers eating taco bell fire sauce right out of the packets, gamers yelling out catchphrases from bush league semi-pro pro wrestlers, gamers making plans to visit strip clubs, gamers planning to get other gamers laid and failing miserably, and Jay's mom wandering downstairs, pottering around in the kitchen with a bemused expression on her face, going "Jason, my son, can you help me set up this game of online poker?"

Basically, in order to envision a tournament at Jay's, picture any scene from Caligula, and replace the sex with gaming and the drunk patricians with gamers and the naked chicks with (thankfully fully clothed, with the exception of Serge) more gamers and the wine with extra large fountain drinks from Burger King and cheap beer and Tim's eternally refreshed bottle of Ketel One--and add in one tiny, kindhearted, slightly confused Filipina lady.

Man, if you kids only realized the shit that Jay's put up with over the years at his house, nobody with any sense of shame would ever be saying anything bad about him.

Once again: thanks for all the great memories, Jay Cave/Jaxeldome/whatever the kids are calling you these days. You will be missed.

i think the only thing longer then larry's post is his cock. seriously though it is amazing how much this has grown over the years from what started as a gathering of 8 on the break regulars and enough booze to feed an army to gathering of 40+ people. now years later, a ton of matches played, even more alcohol drank "well by me at least", one new toilets, and many more new friends made an end of an era comes. but as the say all good things must come to an end and change is necessary. maybe we'll start calling the break our home again or find some other venue to host but i'm sure we will land on our feet and keep this thing going.

All I know is that without Jaxel, there is no SC scene atleast this size. He single handedly kept this scene alive during SC3, both with the biggest tournaments in any region, and help maintain the old caliburforum.
And when SC4 was coming out, made the right move of creating 8wayrun, so that when calburforum met it's demise we had a place to go.

So I don't know how you guys up there are gonna do without Jaxel's house, but hopeful you find away to adapt. You have an awesome scene up there keep it up.

Back