The battle of big swords

Back to NM and Sieg, I have to say Sieg's character is just lame in SC4. He looks like a pale German sissy boy. I'm also not crazy about how they did Nightmare to be honest. I guess I'm critical though as a lot of characters I don't appreciate their appearance. I like the old school Astaroth a lot, Yoshi is well done. I can't actually think of many others.
As for actually playing them. I don't have a ton of trouble with either to be honest. I haven't yet played a Sieg I felt honestly beat me. I very usually beat Sieg, and when I do lose there's usually a lot of whoring of unsafe transitions. Nightmare I mostly feel the same way, but dang Partisan's Nightmare kicked the crap out of me. I guess I would like to see a Sieg played up to that level, until I do it's hard for me to judge.

Until you can make better characters, you can't say they suck or that they look bad. Same thing for those Justin Bieber haters, until you can sing better than him lmao you can't say he sucks =/ otherwise if you say you hate him you just jealous =p

RIDLEY, I don't know if you are joking or not. But yeah, I can definitely say that things suck even if I can't do better because these guys are professional video game developers, developing a game that I paid for. I am not a professional video game developer, I am a physicist.
In the same vein, if I saw a physicist sucking it up at something math or physics related, I would rip into him because it's his business to know that. I would not rip up a psych major for saying something wrong about physics because it's not their business to know that. Does this make sense?

Gee that's funny, I could have sworn I saw DINO abusing aa's and bb's over and over. When I say abuse I'm saying this: aa, (opponent blocked) aa (opponent blocked) bb (opponent blocked), opponent does any punishable move, aa. No, these are not the only moves he uses, but that scenario I just mentioned I've seen time and time again.

Sure, you can use all of her moves if you want to, and be really good. But the fact that playing her at the top level doesn't REQUIRE you to use more than 4-5 moves is the point I was trying to make.

I never said that she only has 4-5 good moves, I simply said that you only NEED those moves to play her well.

In comparison to other characters, (not all, but some) they HAVE TO use a much larger percentage of their move lists in order to compete at that level, which means you have to think things through a little more.

I never meant to say that playing her required NO THOUGHT, I meant to say that she required significantly LESS THOUGHT to wield her well.

Though, I can see why so many of you took that statement literally at face value. I should have been more clear the first time. My bad.

Sure, you can use all of her moves if you want to, and be really good. But the fact that playing her at the top level doesn't REQUIRE you to use more than 4-5 moves is the point I was trying to make.

I never said that she only has 4-5 good moves, I simply said that you only NEED those moves to play her well.

In comparison to other characters, (not all, but some) they HAVE TO use a much larger percentage of their move lists in order to compete at that level, which means you have to think things through a little more.

I never meant to say that playing her required NO THOUGHT, I meant to say that she required significantly LESS THOUGHT to wield her well.

Though, I can see why so many of you took that statement literally at face value. I should have been more clear the first time. My bad.

lol I just explained to you that if you are only using 4-5 moves you are not playing her well. Even what you were saying is true, lack of options is a weakness, not a strength.

Who is this guy? does he play anyone offline? or even online?

Before IFB saw the light? If he saw the light, I think he may still be blind as a fuckin bat. :sc1ivy1:

lol I just explained to you that if you are only using 4-5 moves you are not playing her well. Even what you were saying is true, lack of options is a weakness, not a strength.

Who is this guy? does he play anyone offline? or even online?
I have witnessed plenty of tourney SOPHIE players use no more that 7 moves tops and still manage to beat the crap out of the opponent. Meanwhile the opponent is desperately trying every gimmick in the book just to get one hit in. If you say using only 4-5 moves isn't playing her to her fullest, ya, you might be right, except for the fact that I've seen SOPHIE spammers win or place very high in tourneys numerous times, which tends to slant my view a tad.

And the fact that after only 15 minutes, I was able to play her close to the level of my mains, which I've been using for years, means nothing?

Ask yourself this question, if you had a main who you've been using for years, and a character you just picked up 15 minutes ago you play ALMOST as good as your main, wouldn't you naturally assume that the character you just learned was really easy or borderline brainless? Would you still old this opinion regardless of what people are telling you? Consider that what people have been saying is inconsistent with what YOU personally have witnessed and experienced.

I trust my gut instinct over the sworn word of someone else. Even if a thousand people are telling me that I'm wrong, I still trust my gut. Call me arrogant, stubborn, or plain stupid, it doesn't matter.

I refuse to change my mind as it's set in stone.

damn-I-Suck:

The reason you're wrong is because you think winning in this case boils down to reaction and not thinking. If anything, it will become a priority to think about what the opponent is doing with simpler execution in place. Just because you're not thinking of your own moves as much, does not mean that this is "less thinking" or more important than besting the opponent's mind overall.

And the fact that after only 15 minutes, I was able to play her close to the level of my mains, which I've been using for years, means nothing?

Ask yourself this question, if you had a main who you've been using for years, and a character you just picked up 15 minutes ago you play ALMOST as good as your main, wouldn't you naturally assume that the character you just learned was really easy or borderline brainless?

Lol, if you've been playing for years it's easy to pick up any character and use them effectively to some degree just by parroting the moveset of top players.
Would you still old this opinion regardless of what people are telling you? Consider that what people have been saying is inconsistent with what YOU personally have witnessed and experienced.
I guess that would depend on what you have witnessed and experienced, which, by your scrub mentality, I'm just assuming is very little, or doesn't mean much. Eventually I would begin to question my own intuition if a bunch of people were telling me I'm wrong. Yes, if I were you (since you asked) I wouldn't reallize I don't anything about this game until enough people told me so, and that there's more to playing a character than the number of moves you have to use. But I don't understand you.

I trust my gut instinct over the sworn word of someone else. Even if a thousand people are telling me that I'm wrong, I still trust my gut. Call me arrogant, stubborn, or plain stupid, it doesn't matter.

I refuse to change my mind as it's set in stone.

Ok now I understand you, you're just an idiot :(

*yawn* it's too early to get hype, come back and insult me in a couple months
lol, I wasn't out to insult you in the first place! That happened because you introduced yourself to me by disagreeing with me. Big mistake. Next thing you know, I was arguing until I found a spot to call you an idiot. What I want, in fact, is to be best friends forever. With a cherry on top. So would you like to see recent vids of my Sophi? I would love the non-idiotic feedback.

Sophie generally is an easy character to play up to a decent standard. But once you get into the upper echelons of competition, she requires just as much thinking as any other character. Don't forget, shes relatively linear (almost everything which gets stepped can get punished for huge damage), her SG game is very linear, doesn't have many good lows (i think her best low is still 1K) and has piddly grab range. She also doesn't have pull back or evade moves.

But yeah NM is awesome. I just wish he had beefier legs or his SC3 look. Hes gotta do some squats in DA GYM!

22A and B+K can evade a good amount of verticals, and A+B auto-GI could be seen as an evade since it beats all mids. Oh yeah, and 236236 super tech crouches lolol.

But none in the traditional sense like X's 44B, NM's NSS, Raph's 44B, Mitsu's 4B etc. I was talking more about get out of jail cards when you are being rushed down. Only way for Sophie to beat a good rushdown is to go on the offensive (which isn't a bad thing) which she is very well equiped to do ironically.

Back