The Graphics Rant

The hair definitely has the hair carpet helmet syndrome. They don't seem to be aiming for realism at all in the style and that's all fine, but I do agree that the skin and hair could look better. But eh.
I think realism would do the series better, though as far as I can tell the most fantasy that they really want with SC is just the character faces looking more stylized than everything else around it. Where as that is where I think the criticism is legitimate. The faces are passable for artstyle if that is what seems to be the most obvious, but the hair and skin textures is what really emphasizes the quality of the models as those elements are what people judge the realism of first hand. There was a picture floating around where someone pointed out, Sophitia's hair looking better in SC4 due to it looking more whispy and less chunky as it looks in SCVI.

Last edited:
There was a picture floating around where someone pointed out, Sophitia's hair looking better in SC4 due to it looking more whispy and less chunky as it looks in SC5.
When was Sophitia in SC5 ? You talking about Elysium unmasked ?

honestly just having higher poly faces and more detailed skin textures (pores, discolouration) would do wonders for making the characters look good. sophitia's chin is blocky from some angles and her skin is too waxy + smooth. i've talked about hair before, it probably isn't changing. too much work.

on a positive note, they've definitely learned from T7 to not make everything so goddamn shiny. knit wool sweaters are not shiny. please.

of course this all comes down to art style, so if they're keeping them semi-realistic, then it's fine in the current state. i do prefer realism though.

I'm super not digging the eyes, they look very 2D.

I dont like 6's technical & artistic graphic direction. Imo, by this time, they should be able to pull off graphics that matches those seen in StreetFighters5:ArcadeEdition's new real-time 60fps intro cut scene. Special because all shading is done by normals rather than texture coloring specific areas to fake contour. I understand such methood was necessary back then at the Dreamcast & PS2 eras, but this is supposed to be next gen graphics.

In sum:
1. Fully modelled Normals for shading, no "make-up" looking shades & fake contours.

2. Constant undropping 60fps, instead of useless & more than enough high-rez textures.

3. Seamlessly fluid & slightly colored motionBlurs for weapon movements, instead of over flashy coloring to compensate for the lack of smooth transition between frames.

4. Cloths wrinkling either by morphing Normals or by actually modeling the cloth's mesh for proper bends, instead of plain cylindrical cloth pipes.

5. Fully expressive face animations like seen in most 3d fighting games (specially Vf & Tekken), instead of like seen specially in SC4 where everyone mostly seems like mannequins.

I do find "this unfinished game looks unfinished" to be a bizarre criticism tbh. While there are some things that will likely be the same at launch, I'm sure most of the concerns here will be addressed by the time the game comes out.

So, what, don't criticize the visuals until the game releases? That's a dangerous mentality... How are we supposed to give developers feedback? If no one criticize what they show in trailers, then they'll think it's good enough for release.

The "IT'S EARLY GUYZ, DON'T WORRY, THEY WILL FIX IT" mentality never helps. Let people voice their criticisms/concerns. If by chance the developers never intended to improve it on release, then our complaints might spur them to improve... And if not, there was no harm done.

So, what, don't criticize the visuals until the game releases? That's a dangerous mentality... How are we supposed to give developers feedback? If no one criticize what they show in trailers, then they'll think it's good enough for release.

The "IT'S EARLY GUYZ, DON'T WORRY, THEY WILL FIX IT" mentality never helps. Let people voice their criticisms/concerns. If by chance the developers never intended to improve it on release, then our complaints might spur them to improve... And if not, there was no harm done.

You're allowed to voice your concerns, but anyone here with a brain will tell you that you're wasting your time. You have no idea what's been finished by the development team and what hasn't. Most games look substantially different from their preview builds and alphas, and generally much better. Have you not seen this before?

You're allowed to voice your concerns, but anyone here with a brain will tell you that you're wasting your time. You have no idea what's been finished by the development team and what hasn't. Most games look substantially different from their preview builds and alphas, and generally much better. Have you not seen this before?
If we have no idea what's finished, and what's not, then isn't it all the more reason to not repress our criticism? After all, the thing that we might assume to be unfinished could turn out to be actually a finalized asset... Hence why critcism should be encouraged RIGHT NOW instead of when the game nears release (In other words, when it's too late for them to change anything)

And yes, most games improve from their initial unveiling, but the magnitude of this improvement varies... There is no guarantee that we will see a stark improvement with SCVI.

Frankly, I don't see a point in your post... "Don't waste your time criticizing the game, things might change, wait until it's finalized"

Bruh, what would be the point in criticism at that stage?

Sorry mate but I don't think the devs really listen that much.

And well, since I'm back here, I'll try to redeem myself a bit. Say what? Well my opinion has changed a bit. After seeing a lot of gameplay, I find the game to be beautiful, and some particular things that stand out are the lighting, which is beautiful, the high contrast created by the Break and Unblockable attack effects, and the heavenly beautiful and stunning Euridice Shrine.

I'm still not very fond of the look of the characters though, but that's only when we see them up close. I was way too harsh in my initial post on this.. The only thing that I really think looked better in the past is the skin, it lacks any sort of shine in SCVI and somehow seems even less real? I don't really know why, to me it just seems that way. Probably it's something from what @Jink said in his rather technical explanation of which I didn't undertand much, because of my tiny level of knowledge about graphics.

I do actually like the hair on Sophie, but we can all see the "edges" that were never there before.

As everyone was very keen on letting me know, everything is still likely to be improved until the release, and I do hope it will.

Yup, technical. Thats my language here. Technically speaking (from experience in 3d modeling), the modeling & texturing method that i see in sc6's sophy & mitsu resemble those seen in sc4.
Also, saying SF looks good....choices.

I dont play SF5 & Im still NOT interested in playing SF5, but that intro from the SF5AE in real time & 60fps is THE 1st TIME that I see actual "next gen" graphics since the whole "next gen" trend started back in around 2007, technical-wise. Art style is irrelevant to my statement, hence NOT choice, just what is, technically.

Yup, technical. Thats my language here. Technically speaking (from experience in 3d modeling), the modeling & texturing method that i see in sc6's sophy & mitsu resemble those seen in sc4.

I dont play SF5 & Im still NOT interested in playing SF5, but that intro from the SF5AE in real time & 60fps is THE 1st TIME that I see actual "next gen" graphics since the whole "next gen" trend started back in around 2007, technical-wise. Art style is irrelevant to my statement, hence NOT choice, just what is, technically.

Yeah, because I'm sure you have more experience than the guys at Bamco. Kappa

I really like how Sophie's braid moves this time around. It's definitely more realistic than before, and similar to how Poison Ivy's moves in Injustice 2. However, I feel like they could still fix how it looks a little "floaty" and anti-gravity on the back of her neck. But all in all, definitely an improvement over past games.

I really like how Sophie's braid moves this time around. It's definitely more realistic than before, and similar to how Poison Ivy's moves in Injustice 2. However, I feel like they could still fix how it looks a little "floaty" and anti-gravity on the back of her neck. But all in all, definitely an improvement over past games.
Yeah I've noticed that too. There definitely looks like there's more weight to it this time around. I noticed a similar thing with the clothing physics as well. I'm really excited to see how other characters' hair and clothes move. This would be a great time for one of the characters to have a long dress like Hilde's 2P in SC4.

Also, the loose hair looks better than before too. Still not perfect, but definitely better.
5:10

I don't know how I would fix it though... what do you guys think?

Back