The Rusted Repository (compiled personal designs and discussion)

I'm not a fan of all your designs but the ones that hit, they hit hard. I love your more simple designs the most, I see a lot of over designed stuff on here but there is also beauty in simplicity. Your pattern work on your more recent works is very pleasing to the eye and your recreations/cosplays are quite good as well.

HELLO, nice to see you again... Your first 2 characters have a certain potential that could certainly be even more accomplished. Clash at Erum is starting to take shape...I particularly like the idea of the cutlass which adjusts skillfully.
Margarets is more classic, but nice.
I'm less convinced for the third...knowing that it's a prototype.
Hey SD: really glad to see you are still active: I really liked 'Momo' a bunch! Yeah, I don't know: I feel like a need to find a middle ground for that Mitsu between the kind of more understated and realistic version and that more ornate, soul-caliburish (if you follow my meaning) one. Yeah, I think Star Knight has some potential if I explore the geometries a little. But all of the objects will probably go into the headpiece (which one could describe as "channeling your inner superdurand" ;), so finding enough to do with the surface of those particular armor assets to pull the design together will be tricky.
I'm not a fan of all your designs but the ones that hit, they hit hard. I love your more simple designs the most, I see a lot of over designed stuff on here but there is also beauty in simplicity. Your pattern work on your more recent works is very pleasing to the eye and your recreations/cosplays are quite good as well.
Thank you so much for all the kind feedback, Gaahl! I like your stuff too. :) And I agree: sometimes there is a lot to be said for a light touch in one area or another. While my stuff has trended very slowly towards being a little more busy than before on the back half of the SCVI years, I still try to prioritize style over detail, especially if it is a reference/recreation. hence some of my stuff being more intricate and some more streamlined. That's very nice to have appreciated. :) And thank you with regards to the pattern work too: I've definitely been spending a lot of time dialing those in with my originals and XPs in particular in my final batches here.

Hey SD: really glad to see you are still active: I really liked 'Momo' a bunch! Yeah, I don't know: I feel like a need to find a middle ground for that Mitsu between the kind of more understated and realistic version and that more ornate, soul-caliburish (if you follow my meaning) one. Yeah, I think Star Knight has some potential if I explore the geometries a little. But all of the objects will probably go into the headpiece (which one could describe as "channeling your inner superdurand" ;), so finding enough to do with the surface of those particular armor assets to pull the design together will be tricky.

Thank you so much for all the kind feedback, Gaahl! I like your stuff too. :) And I agree: sometimes there is a lot to be said for a light touch in one area or another. While my stuff has trended very slowly towards being a little more busy than before on the back half of the SCVI years, I still try to prioritize style over detail, especially if it is a reference/recreation. hence some of my stuff being more intricate and some more streamlined. That's very nice to have appreciated. :) And thank you with regards to the pattern work too: I've definitely been spending a lot of time dialing those in with my originals and XPs in particular in my final batches here.
the right balance is kind of my credo for designing and I understand your wish to find this good alchemy. For Star Knight, this helmet reminds me of the challenge with Nix, one of my characters... For the rest, the whole armor is not my strong point. So I understand your difficulty in costumizing in order to make a character believable.

the right balance is kind of my credo for designing and I understand your wish to find this good alchemy. For Star Knight, this helmet reminds me of the challenge with Nix, one of my characters... For the rest, the whole armor is not my strong point. So I understand your difficulty in costumizing in order to make a character believable.
Yeah, eventually the helm is going to use three ExEq pieces (not necesarily the same object three times though) and I'm going to have more of a hexagram configuration with six points. At least, that's the plan: we'll see how it looks when I get to work on it. With regard to the whole-piece under-armor, you're absolutely right: difficult to do much with that because it already has a fairly detailed and busy surface, so I guess I'll just try to be creative with the colors. However, the Archangel overplates present more opportunities, so I'll probably end up either using some eye-catching textures like you often do with similar oddball characters and/or some stickers to add features, as Glitch might. Of course, it looks brilliant in my head, but there's every possibility it just won't come together well, as happens sometimes of course. :)

Another pair of placeholder/rough draft designs: color balance/surface work on these is a long way from finished, but I like even their rudimentary high-concept fantasy knight designs, even so. Calling them, at least for the moment, 'Winged Knight' and 'Dark Hart':

Husah.jpg
Headstrong.jpg

Since I am using Siegfried and Nightmare's styles for each respectively, anyway, and there's a definite light and dark theme for each, I may well just adjust these to be XPs, but we'll have to see.

Another pair of placeholder/rough draft designs: color balance/surface work on these is a long way from finished, but I like even their rudimentary high-concept fantasy knight designs, even so. Calling them, at least for the moment, 'Winged Knight' and 'Dark Hart':

View attachment 94830View attachment 94831

Since I am using Siegfried and Nightmare's styles for each respectively, anyway, and there's a definite light and dark theme for each, I may well just adjust these to be XPs, but we'll have to see.
the first character has a trump card, it is a classic evident by its imagery in fantasy in general. But, as we have already mentioned in a previous discussion, its main flaw is its limitation to customize it due to its armor. But the challenge is super interesting and the knight in popular imagery is the indispensable character possessed.
The second looks like a dark fantasy character that I like for a more usual look related to this universe with this more elaborate range of possibilities that I greatly appreciate.
I can't wait to see the finalization. GOOD GAME

Ok, some fast revisions, and they are quickly starting to get there. Not sure if the helms will be the final version for either though, as I have some ideas for variations:
I note a more vivid saturation of the red which favorably accentuates this kind of knight of the apocalyspe. The fifth picture is beautiful...

I note a more vivid saturation of the red which favorably accentuates this kind of knight of the apocalyspe.
Yeah, higher saturation and just higher contrast in general. Actually, the surfaces on this one have far more custom patterns and stickers than it might seem like from first observation, based on the simple color schemes: because of the bizarre idiosyncratic way in which color opacity overlays on specific equipment (nevermind ExEqs), it can often be very frustrating trying to very dark or very bright colors to work consistently across a design using particular pieces.

For example, those pauldrons are really vexing every time I want to use them in a design that requires sharp contrast, because they wash out the colors toward the edges of the simulated fabric. If you look closely, you can actually see where I've used stickers to overlay the edges (which becomes a headache in of itself because of the also wildly inconsitent coordinate system used to place stickers across objects, which have even less rhyme and reason...). I actually still have to dial those in a little bit more, which (as usual) will turn into a lot of trial and error busy work, because you can't use a rational system to plan it out, because of the insonsistencies in how the editor locates the stickers on the surfaces, and the often inscrutable rules for particular objects and stickers. Yeesh.

And there are similar issues to a lesser extent on other equipment I used on 'Dark Hart', while I had to use all eight stickers (we also need a higher sticker allotment) that I would have rather saved for ornamentation flourishes, in order to get that burnished white armor look. And even then, it was a tedious, way longer than it should be effort to get them overlapping in just the right way to get all the armor covered.

Basically we need true uniform color mapping and deeper and truly customizable opacity and overlay rules, so that we can get burnished and reflective or matte and dull surfaces on any object, rather than just having to work with the limitations of whatever arbitrary rule (or combination of rules!) were chosen for a given piece of equipment. Understandably, these were not a priority for somewhat budget-oriented development for SCVI, but this is one of those features that is going to be need to be there in the next generation if Namco wants this franchise to be thought of as one that really puts a premium on custom character content. Yeah, you can add it to the decent-sized list of features I've said something similar about here in the last few years, but this is actually one of the more important ones.

On the other hand, I'm also using some textures to smooth out the feeling of the surfaces on other elements of the design, or add a sense detaul, so that the overall level of granularity of the items match. It's funny, I feel like because of the bugs and peculiar design flaws of the editors, sometimes the more simple and less-busy looking creations actually involve just as much or even more surface work for designs created by really experienced CASers: it's just not always obvious from first glance.

The fifth picture is beautiful...

Thanks! I agree: he just looks perfect for that animation, doesn't he? Very Wild Hunt, that guy! I actually had these two fighting as AI on the Caer Morein (sp?) stage for dozen rounds, just to see how they each look in motion, and man do they just look like they were meant to fight eachother with those styles on that stage! I usually don't take or share video of my creations (too time intensive for a hobby that already strains the value added to my life relative to the time consumed!), but I might make an exception this time!

Last edited:
Yeah, higher saturation and just higher contrast in general. Actually, the surfaces on this one have far more custom patterns and stickers than it might seem like from first observation, based on the simple color schemes: because of the bizarre idiosyncratic way in which color opacity overlays on specific equipment (nevermind ExEqs), it can often be very frustrating trying to very dark or very bright colors to work consistently across a design using particular pieces.

For example, those pauldrons are really vexing every time I want to use them in a design that requires sharp contrast, because they wash out the colors toward the edges of the simulated fabric. If you look closely, you can actually see where I've used stickers to overlay the edges (which becomes a headache in of itself because of the also wildly inconsitent coordinate system used to place stickers across objects, which have even less rhyme and reason...). I actually still have to dial those in a little bit more, which (as usual) will turn into a lot of trial and error busy work, because you can't use a rational system to plan it out, because of the insonsistencies in how the editor locates the stickers on the surfaces, and the often inscrutable rules for particular objects and stickers. Yeesh.

And there are similar issues to a lesser extent on other equipment I used on 'Dark Hart', while I had to use all eight stickers (we also need a higher sticker allotment) that I would have rather saved for ornamentation flourishes, in order to get that burnished white armor look. And even then, it was a tedious, way longer than it should be effort to get them overlapping in just the right way to get all the armor covered.

Basically we need true uniform color mapping and deeper and truly customizable opacity and overlay rules, so that we can get burnished and reflective or matte and dull surfaces on any object, rather than just having to work with the limitations of whatever arbitrary rule (or combination of rules!) were chosen for a given piece of equipment. Understandably, these were not a priority for somewhat budget-oriented development for SCVI, but this is one of those features that is going to be need to be there in the next generation if Namco wants this franchise to be thought of as one that really puts a premium on custom character content. Yeah, you can add it to the decent-sized list of features I've said something similar about here in the last few years, but this is actually one of the more important ones.

On the other hand, I'm also using some textures to smooth out the feeling of the surfaces on other elements of the design, or add a sense detaul, so that the overall level of granularity of the items match. It's funny, I feel like because of the bugs and peculiar design flaws of the editors, sometimes the more simple and less-busy looking creations actually involve just as much or even more surface work for designs created by really experienced CASers: it's just not always obvious from first glance.

Thanks! I agree: he just looks perfect for that animation, doesn't he? Very Wild Hunt, that guy! I actually had these two fighting as AI on the Caer Morein (sp?) stage for dozen rounds, just to see how they each look in motion, and man do they just look like they were meant to fight eachother with those styles on that stage! I usually don't take or share video of my creations (too time intensive for a hobby that already strains the value added to my life relative to the time consumed!), but I might make an exception this time!
You have a very fair look at all of the functionality and these shortcomings inherent in the Namco editor. Many corrections will have to be rectified in the future to perpetuate this frankness. I will not dwell on these obvious shortcomings which handicap our realization until a convincing finalization which is often very far from the desired subject and obliges us to choose less advantageous compromises. And to say that the creative mode has so much potential, but this one is supplementary, therefore less of a priority in absolute terms. It's a shame, because there are a lot of enthusiasts posted on networks, blogs... who continue to release their achievements, some of them breathtaking, despite the age of the game. I'm convinced that if they had regularly supported bets updates and DLCs to customize our characters, this game would be even more popular. They would have more followers.
What do you think of the unofficial customization DLC that can be found on the PC versions?

You have a very fair look at all of the functionality and these shortcomings inherent in the Namco editor. Many corrections will have to be rectified in the future to perpetuate this frankness. I will not dwell on these obvious shortcomings which handicap our realization until a convincing finalization which is often very far from the desired subject and obliges us to choose less advantageous compromises. And to say that the creative mode has so much potential, but this one is supplementary, therefore less of a priority in absolute terms. It's a shame, because there are a lot of enthusiasts posted on networks, blogs... who continue to release their achievements, some of them breathtaking, despite the age of the game. I'm convinced that if they had regularly supported bets updates and DLCs to customize our characters, this game would be even more popular. They would have more followers.
What do you think of the unofficial customization DLC that can be found on the PC versions?
Hey Durand, sorry for the super slow response: one of those weeks!

So, I did look into what the modding community was doing at a couple of points in the first couple of years after the release of SCVI, but I just don't have the time these days to keep up with those kind of projects, let alone implement and play with them myself. Of course, given the amount of time I put into this silly hobby to begin with, perhaps that's not the most rational outlook, but that's how I thought about it at the time!

Another problem was that, though I owned multiple copies of the game on different platforms, due to the fact that they tied unlocking most equipment to the tedious process of playing through Libra of Souls, I only ended up only ever ended up unlocking the content on a console copy. I would have started and completed Libra on PC had I known what a chore it would be, so I could have done all my creating there. Of course, probably there was a basic mod to get around that (by unlocking everything automatically), but again, just never took the time to look that deep.

I will say that I did like a lot of what I did see from the modding communities, but it tended to be fairly basic and superficial: handfuls of unique objects (mostly weapons) swapped in for native files in a modded version of the game. Nothing that seemed to radically alter the constraints of what was possible with the editor, unfortunately. I mean, better than nothing I suppose, but again: I never had the opportunity to experiment even with what was available.

How about you: did you dip your toes in the modding pool?

Edit: Oh, I will say this, though it's not a CaS topic: I really loved some of the bonus arenas I saw had been created, especially as the stage selection was a major and notable weakness for SCVI.

Last edited:
Hey Durand, sorry for the super slow response: one of those weeks!

So, I did look into what the modding community was doing at a couple of points in the first couple of years after the release of SCVI, but I just don't have the time these days to keep up with those kind of projects, let alone implement and play with them myself. Of course, given the amount of time I put into this silly hobby to begin with, perhaps that's not the most rational outlook, but that's how I thought about it at the time!

Another problem was that, though I owned multiple copies of the game on different platforms, due to the fact that they tied unlocking most equipment to the tedious process of playing through Libra of Souls, I only ended up only ever ended up unlocking the content on a console copy. I would have started and completed Libra on PC had I known what a chore it would be, so I could have done all my creating there. Of course, probably there was a basic mod to get around that (by unlocking everything automatically), but again, just never took the time to look that deep.

I will say that I did like a lot of what I did see from the modding communities, but it tended to be fairly basic and superficial: handfuls of unique objects (mostly weapons) swapped in for native files in a modded version of the game. Nothing that seemed to radically alter the constraints of what was possible with the editor, unfortunately. I mean, better than nothing I suppose, but again: I never had the opportunity to experiment even with what was available.

How about you: did you dip your toes in the modding pool?

Edit: Oh, I will say this, though it's not a CaS topic: I really loved some of the bonus arenas I saw had been created, especially as the stage selection was a major and notable weakness for SCVI.
no, I stay on the console. I don't plan to invest the time to take advantage of the modding pool. Of course, there are beautiful things that are interesting and more suitable with some of these costumes very salient in the concept of the warrior. I wanted to know your opinion on this subject. I wish you a very Merry Christmas.

no, I stay on the console. I don't plan to invest the time to take advantage of the modding pool. Of course, there are beautiful things that are interesting and more suitable with some of these costumes very salient in the concept of the warrior. I wanted to know your opinion on this subject. I wish you a very Merry Christmas.
You too Durand--and a Happy New Year as well!

Elfen Lead

HiElf-01.jpg

HiElf-02.jpg

I don't know about you, but I'd do the Deed--Hehhyoooohh!

Still a rough draft, needing some work on the color balance pattern/sticker work in particular, as well as being one of those designs that just drives me up the walls with thoughts that if I only had three extra objects, five extra stickers, and if only the equipment and surface work layered appropriately, and the rules were consistent, I could really make this one unbelievably faithful... But all caveats aside, it's the first design I've done in nine months, so might as well share it--though it's still rough and I'm not sure anyone is still around!

Last edited:
Just an attempt to create some Taki XPs based on Natsu's SCV designs (1P and 2P), plus some variations that I developed while experimenting with the approach to the original goal. I think the one based on the Natsu SCV 2P probably turned out the best (certainly the more faithful), but I do like the demon variant designs I ultimately built over top of the 1P effort.

Taki: Natsural Combos
NatsuFast01.jpg

NatsuFast06.jpg
NatsuFast05.jpg
NatsuFast14.jpg

Taki: Natsural Succesor
NatsuFast11.jpg
NatsuFast09.jpg
NatsuFast08.jpg

Attachments

• NatsuFast02.jpg
    NatsuFast02.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 101
  • NatsuFast04.jpg
    NatsuFast04.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 108
  • NatsuFast07.jpg
    NatsuFast07.jpg
    496.5 KB · Views: 97
  • NatsuFast12.jpg
    NatsuFast12.jpg
    524.8 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
A couple of new Siegfried alts, both in rough draft form, though the second I think came out pretty close to where I'd want it from the start.

Siegfried: Forgery

AFringeoftheGinge07.jpg

AFringeoftheGinge05.jpg

Siegfried: Imperatus

Electus09.jpg
Electus10.jpg

Attachments

• AFringeoftheGinge01.jpg
    AFringeoftheGinge01.jpg
    684.4 KB · Views: 77
  • AFringeoftheGinge02.jpg
    AFringeoftheGinge02.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 77
  • AFringeoftheGinge03.jpg
    AFringeoftheGinge03.jpg
    813.2 KB · Views: 79
  • AFringeoftheGinge04.jpg
    AFringeoftheGinge04.jpg
    773.5 KB · Views: 79
  • AFringeoftheGinge06.jpg
    AFringeoftheGinge06.jpg
    801.2 KB · Views: 74
  • AFringeoftheGinge08.jpg
    AFringeoftheGinge08.jpg
    764.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Electus01.jpg
    Electus01.jpg
    710.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Electus02.jpg
    Electus02.jpg
    847.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Electus03.jpg
    Electus03.jpg
    981.8 KB · Views: 81
  • Electus04.jpg
    Electus04.jpg
    932.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Electus05.jpg
    Electus05.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
  • Electus06.jpg
    Electus06.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 76
  • Electus08.jpg
    Electus08.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
And a couple more reference pieces, based on certain classic piece of literature. These two are also (forgive me if I begin to sound like a broken record) pre-polish--especially the second one, which has only placeholder surface work so far. I'd be very interested to see if anyone recognizes the first one.

Calaquendi

Blondolin09.jpg
Blondolin03.jpg

Man of the West

Strident02.jpg
Strident05.jpg

Attachments

• Blondolin01.jpg
    Blondolin01.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Blondolin02.jpg
    Blondolin02.jpg
    714.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Blondolin04.jpg
    Blondolin04.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 78
  • Blondolin05.jpg
    Blondolin05.jpg
    942.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Blondolin06.jpg
    Blondolin06.jpg
    703 KB · Views: 82
  • Blondolin07.jpg
    Blondolin07.jpg
    782.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Blondolin08.jpg
    Blondolin08.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Strident01.jpg
    Strident01.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Strident03.jpg
    Strident03.jpg
    894 KB · Views: 80
  • Strident04.jpg
    Strident04.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
2B: Hell Let Loose

Underwordly09.jpg
Underwordly10.jpg
Underwordly13.jpg

Attachments

• Underwordly03.jpg
    Underwordly03.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Underwordly04.jpg
    Underwordly04.jpg
    735.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Underwordly05.jpg
    Underwordly05.jpg
    708.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Underwordly06.jpg
    Underwordly06.jpg
    766.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Underwordly07.jpg
    Underwordly07.jpg
    688.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Underwordly08.jpg
    Underwordly08.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Yoshimitsu: Path of the Manji

Ochgre07.jpg

Ochgre06.jpg
Ochgre11.jpg
Ochgre14.jpg

Attachments

• Ochgre01.jpg
    Ochgre01.jpg
    784.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Ochgre02.jpg
    Ochgre02.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Ochgre03.jpg
    Ochgre03.jpg
    586.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Ochgre04.jpg
    Ochgre04.jpg
    692.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Ochgre05.jpg
    Ochgre05.jpg
    847.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Ochgre08.jpg
    Ochgre08.jpg
    660.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Ochgre09.jpg
    Ochgre09.jpg
    739.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Ochgre10.jpg
    Ochgre10.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 37
  • Ochgre12.jpg
    Ochgre12.jpg
    625.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Ochgre13.jpg
    Ochgre13.jpg
    728.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Ochgre15.jpg
    Ochgre15.jpg
    776.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Ochgre16.jpg
    Ochgre16.jpg
    692.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Ochgre17.jpg
    Ochgre17.jpg
    922.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Ochgre18.jpg
    Ochgre18.jpg
    705.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Ochgre19.jpg
    Ochgre19.jpg
    864.3 KB · Views: 45
Here be just some color/style variations on a few previous designs, two recent and one older.
RogRoller02.jpg
RogRoller07.jpg
PurplePrincip.jpg
IWasBlindedbyTheWhite01.jpg
IWasBlindedbyTheWhite02.jpg
IWasBlindedbyTheWhite05.jpg
IWasBlindedbyTheWhite12.jpg

Attachments

• RogRoller01.jpg
    RogRoller01.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 43
  • RogRoller03.jpg